Attn: plumbers, electricians home builders alike..... questions..

Started by phalynx, March 20, 2008, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I'd make a suggestion but after reading this a couple of times I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do exactly. Plumbing can be tricky if you're not educated so I suggest getting a good understanding of it before you start. Using the wrong fitting in the wrong place can cause alot of grief. Be sure to vent everything. Don't stack things like toilets and washers over sinks on the same drain. I'll be happy to answer specific questions.

Plumbers hate to drill holes and will usualy use a little more pipe to avoid drilling if they can.

Willy

Quote from: ScottA on March 21, 2008, 08:34:33 PM
I'd make a suggestion but after reading this a couple of times I'm still not clear on what you're trying to do exactly. Plumbing can be tricky if you're not educated so I suggest getting a good understanding of it before you start. Using the wrong fitting in the wrong place can cause alot of grief. Be sure to vent everything. Don't stack things like toilets and washers over sinks on the same drain. I'll be happy to answer specific questions.

Plumbers hate to drill holes and will usualy use a little more pipe to avoid drilling if they can.
Like putting the water closet to close to the wall now the tolet won't go on. Gluing a bunch of 3-4 inch fittings all together edge to edge and figuring it wrong and just throwing them away. Drilling out a wall or floor and finding you can't get the parts to go together and fit do to not enought room. Having the main waste pipe to low that going accross the building it is now so low it can't match your sewer line when you get to it. Lots of things can go wrong if you are not sure, have planned well ahead or never done it before. Mark

Redoverfarm

Well like I said maybe we do have some plumbers here after all.  There is nothing wrong with stacking several dump lines into one main. It is the most economical way. If you can imagine an apartment building with several dumping appliances all having a seperate vent there would be no shingles on the roof just vent pipes. The main reason for the vent is not to vent the gas out of the waste line but to allow the vent to draw air so that it will flow properly.  As long as the vent line is above your highest waste line closest to where the appliances dump into the main. The pupose is to vent everything falling into that line which is below the vent stack.  There is some places where a vent is not possible because of the placement of the lines. Then thats where a Studor valve comes in. Yes they are placed within the living space and yes that line does run into the main waste line but with a studor it just opens when a vaccume is present"water running" and closes off to prevent the gases from entering the room when it is not in demand. 

I presently have two vent stacks on opposite ends of my house because there is dumping appliances on both ends with the main dump between the two. Never had any problems with mine with the exception of heavy use in which the odor outside ( because of atmospheric pressure) pushes the fumes to the ground.

Others are right in what they have said regarding whether you know what to use and how to use it.  If you are not sure then find out. There should be plumbing books available. I just happened to learn from a plumber and practiced what he said. 

Om a closing note remember to DRY FIT all your plumbing before gluing and think out the sequence of the gluing before starting. You can't get a missed fitting through a hole sized for a pipe.