Got me a popup camper...

Started by Adam Roby, August 16, 2014, 09:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam Roby

It is nearing the end of the season, so the campers are starting to go up for sale.  One in particular popped up just as I was looking at it and I immediately called, and 2 hours later was there having a look in person.  During that 2 hour period another 8 people called, the guy was really surprised but did not schedule any other visits since I was the first to call (someone with integrity maybe?).

It is very much not new.  It is a 1993 Flagstaff with basically nothing fancy inside.  It has the usual two sides that slide out with beds, and a table with benches that also folds down for another bed.  The roof was extremely black when I saw it from grime and dirt, but it was still being used and the PO had just returned from a 10 day camping trip and said it did not leak. 

After cleaning I saw that the roof was nowhere near perfect condition, so I am in the process of patching it up.  Once ready, my friend has offered to let me park this on a spot on the back of his 15 acre lot and stay there as long as I want to.  This should give me an idea if I like the area, and give me a chance to look around for properties for sale.  The popup is intended to be used for camping now, and if I enjoy it for use as a temporary shelter once I buy my land and begin my cabin build.

I am a bit embarrassed to share pictures, especially in the rough shape it is in and considering this is a cabin site, not a camper site.   :-\

Redoverfarm

If it has a hard top they make a good caulking material for that.  Not the stuff you get at the Big Box stores.  I got mine a Campers World but have seen it elsewhere.

Adam Roby

Paid a visit the camper site... they rip you off.  Can find the same products online for a lot less but takes a while to get here, now they are complaining about one item not being able to ship to Canada for some reason.  Decided to bite the bullet, bought a bunch of the sealant, beutyl tape to replace the dome, and a flex seal top coating.  Just finished working on it, pretty much all day.  First coat of paint applied, finished that at 1:30 AM.  Tired now...

Adam Roby

The camper has a power converter built in.  When plugged in it hums... not too loud, but enough to be annoying.  The question is when is the hum a sign that there is immanent danger?  It is located in one of the benches, which converts to a bed and where my daughter will be sleeping this Sunday (we are going on her maiden voyage to test things out).

Anyone ever been around one of these.  I asked over on the camper site 2 days ago but nobody has answered yet... I am guessing it is either completely normal or "run like hell".  Not sure... have nothing to base my assumptions on.

hpinson

Give it a good vacuum.  The bearing in the fan might be going?

Adam Roby

There is no fan... sounds like it's the transformer.  I know they make some noise... just not sure how much noise they are supposed to make.  Hmmm... maybe I will try to record the sound on my camera and show y'all.

Tickhill

Probably the 60Hz hum. Turn devices on one at a time and see if hum changes in tone. Is there a battery that is being charged? If you have a meter, check the DC voltage coming from the converter. Verify your fire extinguisher is ready to use if necessary.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Adam Roby

There is no battery connected although the sticker suggests I can connect one.  I noticed yesterday that when turning on a second light, the first one would dim.  I will check if the sound changes at all.  Just now when I went back I noticed the light I left on flickering... hmmm...

I just bought a new 2lb fire extinguisher for this exact reason.  I don't want to take any chances.  It is definitely the 60 Hz hum... will keep an eye on it. 

johnecash

If it concerns you ---flip the breaker or unplug it til you have a chance to check it out.
I prefer using LP for the fridge and water heater so I keep mine off anyway.

-J.C.-

Adam Roby

I didn't even know there were breakers in there... thanks for the tip.  That gives me a bit more security.  Too bad turning off the 12V system also turns off the 110V...