New Ammo

Started by Redoverfarm, January 26, 2014, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redoverfarm

Although not for target practice this round appears to be deadlier in comparison to regular hollowpoint rounds.

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/the-new-ammunition-that-has-gun-owners-drooling/

rick91351

I never have been a fan of 9MM but with that round that might change.  Thanks for the heads up.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: rick91351 on January 26, 2014, 12:41:45 PM
I never have been a fan of 9MM but with that round that might change.  Thanks for the heads up.

I believe they are manufacturing it in 4 different calibers.  I think this would only benifit Police or military.  Too much tissue damage for hunting.

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 26, 2014, 01:03:30 PM
I believe they are manufacturing it in 4 different calibers.  I think this would only benifit Police or military.  Too much tissue damage for hunting.

I agree however it would also useful as a defensive round.  Something I really do not talk about flippantly.  The last thing I want to do is be involved in the taking someones life - yes even in self defense.  I have been involved in too many accidents where a state trooper or policeman gets out of his unit.  Walks somberly up to the locomotive.  Climbs those three or four steps.  You hear the first door open and the cab door.  You know what is coming next after the introductions...  He looks you in the eyes and says,  "Sir there has been a fatality."  Never a day goes by you don't think of one of them some times all of them.  I can only imagine how it would be if...   

However be it as many of us who choose to live, we do not or can not receive help be it police or fire it is all over be it distance or location.  When you live a mile from you closest full time neighbor, they farm and ranch.  Chances are you get the message machine.  We do have a deputy here but he is sort of volunteer - he is available when he is.  He is still twenty minutes away best case if he is home.  The deputy that patrols this up here has a huge territory to cover.

Next problem is growing older you become a mark for those with nefarious intent.  Especially if you have a nice home and seem to do well.  In short you are on the short list for home invasion or worse.

Only reason I referenced the 9MM is that the specs showing were for the nine and would be a lot better defense weapon if it packed more 'heat'.  Its punyness in stopping a perpetrators have really left it suspect in police work.         

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Redoverfarm

When I retired it was the 40 cal by the department standards.  Really honestly the .357 was good but not much in the way of rounds available or reloading capabilities.  Yes I was one of those climbing up on the side of the engine a few times.  Pointless as it was never the trains fault but impatient drivers.  The real victims were the others in car that had no decision in running the lights or gates.  You are right it leaves a lasting impression.  But there were a lot of those times.  Sort of gets drowned out over time.

Many do not know about rural areas and police protection.  If the population does not dictate then chances are it will be a relatively small department irregardless of the area.  Being the only one working for instance 950 sq miles it just takes time to respond even more so if the officer just happens to be on the far end.

Just wished you guys would have stopped a little closer .  ;)

rick91351

I have a 40 and a couple 9MMs.  My favorite is the old 45 LC.  But then I was never in law enforcement.  I have one 45 LC with the tricked out trigger and is so smooth.  I would sure like to build a range here with a canopy and a bench.  Nothing real fancy just a place to work up loads and shoot when my sportsman friends come around.

To be honest about the train auto collisions even though you are 100 or 99% in the right it never seems to matter.  Two things really helped me one was the investigating officer's professionalism.  Two was the download of the little black box.  My last fatality I asked to see it in the field and my boss told me they were no allowed to review them with the employees any longer.  Something to do with the legal department.  I must have looked pretty POed because he opened up his computer and he debriefed me right there.  It so helps with those issues.  When you see on the 'tape' this is where you commenced the whistle sequence.  This is where you went in to emergency and this is where you made impact.  And if all the little ducks are in a row......    Found out latter Union Pacific legal had problems with me starting to blow my whistle sequence too soon - not too late but too soon.  They felt the opposing side would make something out of it.  I did start as soon as I seen the mini van and had the gut feeling this is not going to be good.

John my forefathers tried it back there.  They are recorded back in the Plymouth Colony they were Separatists.  My grandmothers side of the family got booted out of Scotland for being Calvinists settled in New Jersey and ended up in Kentucky.  For some reason that area your from on down in to Georgia has always felt good to me.  In fact my son in law's NC uncle told me we like you.  Your sort of down home - we don't tell many Yankees that.  I swear I could hear the banjos dueling in the back ground maybe on the porch?   ;)   I winked and said,  "Thanks Jack I'll take that as a complement I think....."   But then I never thought they should have NASCAR racing north of the Mason Dixon and west of the Mississippi.  Sort of sinful if you ask me.    ;D           

Redoverfarm

I do know that the ballast used by the railroad will play the dickens on a pair of Spit Shinned shoes after making the trex along the tracks to the engines final resting point.  But all in a days work and nothing a little Kiwi wouldn't take care of. ;D

rick91351

Quote from: Redoverfarm on January 27, 2014, 07:19:20 AM
I do know that the ballast used by the railroad will play the dickens on a pair of Spit Shinned shoes after making the trex along the tracks to the engines final resting point.  But all in a days work and nothing a little Kiwi wouldn't take care of. ;D

Man Oh Man the ballast would wear out and tear up good vibram soled boots so quick.  We sort of had a six and six philosophy about work boots there.  You bought the best like Whites (hand made in Spokane) they would set you back a few hundred bucks and they would last you a couple years.  Or you bought the cheaper ones set up back about about a hundred and they would last you about a year.  Or the 50 dollar Kmart - Walmart specials last you 6 months.....  So no matter how you chose to atttack it it was going to cost the same.....

Then UP came up with they would buy one shoe or boot and you bought the other one.  They were HiTest or Redwing. They had to be steel toed and conform to the UP Safety requirements.  I was so bull headed I never would bite.  I did a couple times I guess and they just sat in the closet.  I just never liked them.