Would like opinions of my plan

Started by OzarkFreedom, August 04, 2011, 09:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzarkFreedom

Well, I would like to build a 20x34 universal 2-story home from the plans here.  However, I don't have the money to build it.  I have been wondering if I could build 20x20 and just add on the additional 14 or 16 feet later when I had more money.  Here is the plan I came up with if I just built 20x20.  Would love to hear opinions on this idea and whether or not it is a good idea.  Thanks!  :)

[tr][td][/table]]http://i.imgur.com/QSOiO.jpg
[/url]

OzarkFreedom

rick91351

You would be able to do so.  This would be a good opportunity to get it all drawn in now for latter.  Additions of course are usually done on the ground level.  I dont think I have ever seen a second story addition unless it was on someones very high dollar home.  However that does not mean it cant be done!  This of course would not be submitted when you went in for your permits.  Just what you want to build.  The inspectors will most likely play twenty question as to reasons for headers and electrical, and plumbing that is left stubbed off.     

If I were doing this I would certainly incorporate headers where the doorways would go.  I would also plan the exterior for as little tear-off and waste as possible.  I would avoid running water, power and sewer service where in the future there would be a new foundation.  I would run water lines but leave them dry after pressure testing them where you can get to them easy.  I would also stub off an electrical circuit where I could get to it easy without trying to fish a line latter and waste a lot of time and frustration doing that a later time.  You could also stub in any sewer drains now that would be be connected to the new addition later. I would also use a very common exterior siding that would be available on down the road.  I would also try my best to make the addition look as if was part of original construction.     

As far as interior floor plans that to me is purely a matter of personal taste and desire.  I look at any plan and wonder what the heck....  ???  Why ??? You could ???  But I sort of figure it is that way because you like it that way.   
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OzarkFreedom

Yeah I was wondering about adding on the 2-story so that it was seamless and how difficult that was.  there isnt any plumbing in the addition just the main living room and 2 bedrooms upstairs.  The tiny bedroom in the 20x20 first phase becomes another bathroom.  I guess that is pretty close to the stock 20x34 plan.  Thanks for your feedback!

bayview

I found that a large percent of the expense of building a home is finishing the interior.   Complete the building shell to the dry-in stage.   The foundation, framing, siding, roofing, rough-in the plumbing, electrical, etc . . .     

And then finish each room as needed . . .   

You will find that finishing floors, electrical, plumbing, appliances, sheetrock, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, lights, etc will be the lion share of the expense.

Personally, I would build the complete shell to dry-in and then finish rooms to bathe, eat and sleep first . . .

The downstairs floor plan would be difficult for me to live in . . .    How about showing us your idea of the complete floor plan. . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

OzarkFreedom

The completed plan is pretty much the stock 20x34 except the laundry and downstairs bathroom are swapped

dug

QuoteYou will find that finishing floors, electrical, plumbing, appliances, sheetrock, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, lights, etc will be the lion share of the expense.

Believe this.

OzarkFreedom

I realize the finishing costs a lot which is why I want to finish a smaller house first.  But, the house I really want is the 20x34.  So I came up with this plan which gives me what I need until I can afford what I want. 

bayview

Rick had some good suggestions on stubbing out for additional work . . .

Good luck with your build!

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

VannL

As I am in the process of detailing out our plan for the future, I will offer a few little things that I have picked up on within your plan.

I am assuming that the item next to the frig is a wood stove.  If so, I would consider moving that to a blank space on the opposite side.  You will have a lot of heat build up in a small area (the dining room) and risk too much heat next to the frig.

The stove placement might be breaking up the counter space too much.  The deep corner that the stove placement leaves is not very usable in the current configuration.  It would drive my wife nuts.  If you move the stove next to the frig, you might be better off, and not get chased around the house with a rolling pin.  lol.

The front door you have drawn is, in my mind, backwards.  You might consider putting the hinges on the opposite side so that entrance into the living space is a little easier.

Just my thoughts.
If you build it, it will be yours!

suburbancowboy

I think that I would build two buildings.  Build a smaller one first then build the big one as you can afford it.  Then use the small one as a guest house.  That is what I am doing.  First one is 12 X 16 1 1/2 story.  I built it 2 years ago.  I am now working on the 20 X 36 1 1/2 story now.  The small one ran around 5000 complete.  Something to think about.

OzarkFreedom

Good suggestions so far!  I was planning on putting a butcher block piece of furniture between the stove and fridge but heat build up is something I had not considered!

I have also considered building something even smaller like a 14x24 until I have more money since I could use it as a workshop/guest house later.  It's a tough decision between building half of our dream house or a tinier house.  Another option is maybe buying a metal barn and living in part of it for awhile since I need a metal building too.  I have 40 acres and I am developing it into a farm. 

Good catch on the door I think that makes sense.  Anyone actually like my plan?  I thought it was an interesting idea to break up the 20x34 universal in this way into two phases. 

knosaj

unless you plan on using the space below the stairs for storage, you could replaced the stairs with a ladder / stair hybrid you could save alot of space and money. you could go from mild to wild with this idea.

trish2

Since you have such a large closet in the upstairs, consider moving the 1 bath upstairs and rearranging the 2nd bedroom.  Slide the second bedroom over taking a large portion of the walk in closet, then put the bathroom at the top of the stairs.  This will save walks down the stairs at night.  It will also open up the downstairs.  Right now the eating area looks cramped.  When you put on your addition, you can add another bedroom and a bath on the first floor.

Just my thoughts....