Photos wanted for small houses under 500 sf

Started by John Raabe, April 05, 2010, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

None of us are as smart as all of us.

Freeholdfarm

I just watched the first two of Derek's videos (well done!), and would like to know more about that vegetable oil stove -- would you be willing to start a new thread about that, Derek?

Kathleen

ListerD

(Sorry for the topic drift) I got Deeks book a while back, felt like a kid again dreaming of all the cool little shelters.
"We shape our dwellings, and afterwards our dwellings shape us" -- Winston Churchill

speedfunk

64sq  shelter. 8x8 with 4x8 deck.  4x8 sleeping loft

Our thread w/ more details:  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=5741.0

BTW Deek... Great stuff..I had a great time checking over your videos!  

need4news

Mr. Raabe,

Here is a picture of my house in progress.

More to follow as it gets done.

Thank you for your informative site.

Charlie M.

John Raabe

Need4news:

Cool little hut or cottage. Looks like it has lots of light.

What is the size?

need4news

Mr. Raabe,

It's 12x10 with a 14' roof.

R-13 in the walls, 1/2" styrofoam overlayment with Hardie Board exterior.

Almost all materials gleaned.

Will be my house when finished; I share 11 acres with my big sister (bigger in age only) and her husband and my inter-species life-partner, Bucky (English Bulldog).

Here is more info: http://gleaninghouse.blogspot.com
Thanks,

Charlie M.

Chuck Adze

I so love good design.
I like log home, adirondack, mid century modern, cube, mountain style, craftsman, containers.....etc.
I love good lines and proportions.

Where I live we have alot of old capes from the 1700's-1800's (still lived in).
Many of these were smaller capes.
Remember clapboards predate cedar shingles, thats why you still see many of the older New England Capes with clapboard siding (they brought the technology from England).
I came by this re-do.
It measures 18' x 24' with a partial upstairs.
The small bumpout on the end contains a small kitchen.

Chuck Adze

I really like Moss Creek designs.
This small guest house design (log construction) can give a person many ideas;

http://www.winterwoodshomes.com/design-gallery/natural-element-homes/the-blue-ridge/

Also on www.americanbuilderssurplus.com, there is a sale for 80+ stainless steel skinned SIP panels (2" thick) for 5K....and I immediately thought of a modern cube design.
A person could use steel and wood exposed truss work inside, even stud the walls for added insulation and then cover the outside with the stainless skin.
The only thing would be to watch the sun and the mirror / forest fire effect.
Of course you could curve a wall and pin point towards solar collectors.

Anyway....my small cottage is based upon my actual living room (real life space placement).
Its 16' x 24' with a small U shaped stair case in the far corner.
I am going to bump out the side wall with a 10' x 20' bump out and put a small bedroom and a master bath.
The end wall will also have a small bump out where I will put the entry and a small kitchen, until such a time I can complete the barn style great room (with my timber trusses), then this original cottage will become the master suite.

Blessings.

frankvance

:)I have some pictures of my 12 x 34 408 square foot merc 8)antile styled retreat.

Timberjack

The living area is 18'x24', with the front porch its 26'x24'.

John Raabe

Nice looking fairly simple project Timberjack. Good work.  :D

I like the way the porch tucked under the roof provides more room in the loft. Classic design of course.

John Raabe

Here's a new photo sent in by David_S

• "Here's my "storage shed" near Curlew, WA. 10' x 20', with the wider portion being 10'wide by 12' long, the front portion is 8' x 8'.  Used cedar cut with our Woodmizer sawmill.  It never seems to get quite finished, but always a good excuse to get over there...Dave"

ScottA

Nice little cabin but the 2 TV dish look ugly on it. Somehow cabins and TV dish don't mix.

curlewdave

Sorry Scott, but I like my sat TV up there to keep up with things, and also have a hookup for the computer--so 2 dishes... Techno geek---Curlew Dave

AdironDoc

My 384sf, 16 x 24 guest cabin.

My neighbor and friend Gene's just completed 16 x 24 that I patterned my new project after:

20 x 12 in Syracuse I almost bought.

MountainDon

Nice cabins.

That is a very low clearance bunk bed though. Last time I saw pictures where the bunks were stacked that low there were two more levels on top. That was at Dachau.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Moni

beautiful cabins!!! Wow, so much inspiration here

A pic of our 16x20 cabin

lots of pics from the build here:
http://mpetersenphotography.smugmug.com/Other/the-cabin/14354291_VvkvNt#1063023126_BfQCW

PunchAndJudy

I'm building a standard 12x16 lofted gambrel with a 5x16 porch.  Will wire it, and put in a rough kitchen (sink will drain to a bucket for greywater use).  Lovable loo (sawdust bucket toilet in a pretty wooden box), bucket shower and a plastic stock tank for a tub.  Small wood heater. 

Project will start within 2 weeks.  The building will serve as temporary housing for me and my Mother.  We'll winter in it.  If I build it well and don't get sick of carpentry by the time I'm done, it will house us while I build a 2 story house, probably the Universal Cottage(20x34). 

Anyways, I'll send pictures when I've got it up, which should be very soon.  I'm not sure what to expect from the weather this year, so I'm trying to get a jump on winter.  Coldness sucks.

John Raabe

Lloyd's new book is out now! It is titled Tiny Homes - Simple Shelter.

Click either the link above or image below to go to a special order page.

There are at least two homes that are shown in this tread and are featured in the book. There were, of course other good projects that didn't make the pages. (Lloyd is already planning a follow up).

If anyone who posted here got into the book and didn't get a copy directly from Lloyd, please send me an email (john@countryplans.com) and I will get a copy to you. 

There is a tiny-tiny version of the book that Lloyd sent me (I don't know if it is for sale). It takes younger eyes than mine but with a reading glass that little book is actually readable. Lloyd gets amazing printing results.

Thanks to everyone who posted here and here's to great projects in 2012!

Whitlock

I want this book :( But I'm trying to boycott things made in China and Lloyd went to China and had it printed up >:(
So I guess I will have to do without :-\
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

MountainDon

W. I've asked our public library to look into getting a copy. No word yet, but maybe they will? Maybe they won't?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.