Power Surge: The Constitutional Record of G W Bush

Started by bartholomew, May 03, 2006, 01:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bartholomew

Probably mainly of interest to the Constitutionalists here...

http://cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6330

(p.s. I haven't read it yet, and don't know enough about the topic to offer much of an opinion anyway)

Sassy

Bart... I would encourage you & anyone else who value our freedoms to read that article... I've been reading about the abuse of power by our executive branch for quite some time now & through additional research, started reading about economics, the international bankers & the Federal Reserve, etc...

Our gov't has never been perfect nor have our leaders... but the checks & balances that were placed into our constitution gave us, I believe, the best chance for freedom & the "pursuit" of happiness & equity.  We each have different abilities & talents which contribute to a society that values the individual.  Those same abilities & talents can lead to good gov't & business or to selfish power plays full of envy & cruelty.  I believe those checks & balances have just about been dismantled... we have the "Un" Patriot Act, the illegal alien situation... neither would have developed if the Constitution of the United States & the Bill of Rights had been adhered to.  

So what do we do now?  We've been asleep at the wheel & allowed our leaders to do whatever they want.  What practical way can we solve the illegal alien situation that still respects the persons on both sides & doesn't lead to violence?  How do we defend ourselves, as citizens, if any dissension from the political leaders is construed as "unpatriotic" or an act of treason where we can be imprisoned without recourse?  

The only thing I've been doing is writing to our representatives, calling etc...  And trying to get people to  get reacquainted with the Constitution, read things other than what you see in the mainline news propaganda, check things out... I've been guilty of laziness when it comes to taking part in society, aware only of my little corner of the world.  I'd rather keep it that way but wish to have some freedoms in the future, not only for myself, but for my family & friends.  What I see happening leads me to believe if lots of us don't get involved, those freedoms will just be a memory.  

End of speech...  :-/