2 story universal - attic trusses

Started by rdzone, February 20, 2007, 11:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdzone

I am still trying to plan things out for this spring.  I am going to use trusses for my roof and have had the truss plant draw up attic trusses and cathedral trusses.  I would really like to have attic trusses to give me another room/storage space above the bedrooms, but if I use trusses the spacing would be 24" o/c and it doesn't leave much room for access.  I really don't want to use one of those pull down ladders.  Does anyone have a better solution?  

I have also thought about using half catherdral trusses and half attic trusses.  My daughter would really like a loft sleeping area in her room.  The catherdal trusses would let me do that with room to spare.  

Any Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!

jraabe

You can mix cathedral and attic trusses. As the attic gets smaller the importance of the access gets smaller. There are some spacious pull down stairs that might require the truss Co. to cut the bottom chord on one truss. This would not be a big deal as long as they can plug it into the truss calcs.

So I would suggest finding the stair first, locate it second, and then design the trusses accordingly.

To do first class access to the attic you need to extend the stairs and pop up a dormer for headroom.  ::) So this quickly gets complicated and soon becomes a third story.

rdzone

John,

I actually thought about mixing the trusses and then making a steep stair (stairplan.com) like I have seen some where on this site to enter from the catherdal end.  Maybe through a door.

jraabe

See if this ladder stair detail works for you.

http://www.countryplans.com/Downloads/ladder.PDF

Amanda_931

That looks like a nice idea.  I've been considering library stairs (still using a chain hoist to bring up and down boxes or baskets), but those take up so much less space.