16 x 20

Started by Billisnice, October 11, 2009, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billisnice

Does any one have decent floor plans for a 16 x 20 home?

Thanks

trish2

While I don't have any floor plans that are exactly 16x20, here are some to look at to see if you can modify to fit your needs.  Maybe they will give you the inspiration to design your own floorplan

1. Here's a 1 bedroom modular, park model 12.x25 floor plan. Link removed at the request of site owner. This could be enlarged to 16 feet..

2.  www.cabins.ca has two floor plans to look at. Yukon, 16.x24 and White Horse, which is the basic Yukon with a bump out for the kitchen and some decks added.

3.  There is a gentlemen who is building a 16x24 in Alabama and he has posted pics on this site.  Perhaps he would be willing to share his floor plan with you/us.

4.  Look at the 200 sq foot houses that were designed by members of the CountryPlans forum. The plans  may give you enough inspiration to modify one  for your building situation.

Hope these suggestions help.  If you do design a 16.x20, please post for all of us to see.

bayview

Here is a 14 X 20 I had considered before building my cabin.  Has full bathroom and kitchen.  Wardrobe at front door and loft. . .

Maybe modity to 16'. (?)

Ladder enters nearly to center of loft.

Probably electric heat/AC.  Small water heater under kitchen sink. . .

Additional porch on front, and maybe lean-to on kitchen wall would help breakup height of sidewalls.

Twelve foot side walls with a 12/12 roof line creates interior loft sidewalls of about 3' and nearly 9' at center.  2X6 walls 16" on center . . . 2X8 floor joists 12" on center for loft floor, creates a few more "extra" headroom inches/

We decided on an all on one floor studio type cabin . . .

\

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

Billisnice

I saw this plan by changing the dim to 16 x 24 

http://www.kwikplans.com/images/FreeCabin.pdf

What is you opinion?

MountainDon

Q: Is this for a full time residence or a part time recreational cabin? I ask because we feel that our cabin floor plan is ideal for the use intended, recreational. Full time for us would require more storage space, ,a real closet or two...

One problem I have personally with many small floor plans is the introduction of too many interior walls (bedrooms) and how the walls interfere with the circulation of heating and cooling. Do you need laundry machine space? wood stove? A/C? and so on....

You might want to take the approach we did. We decided on what pieces of furniture we needed, how much space or cooking and meal preparation, etc. Then we made scale cut outs o everything and moved them around on a large sheet of paper. We penciled in windows, doors etc. Repeat about 4 dozen times.  :D  We did end up with a wider and longer cabin that we were first anticipating, but we are very happy with the end result now that we've been using it for a year.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Billisnice

I am building two houses on a river. This hopefully will be my renter cabin. Does anyone have the floorplans and loft for http://countryplans.com/lemay.html home?

bayview

Quote from: Billisnice on October 12, 2009, 01:39:03 PM
I saw this plan by changing the dim to 16 x 24  

http://www.kwikplans.com/images/FreeCabin.pdf

What is you opinion?

Bath and bedroom are a little "tight" . . . Personally I would eliminate the bedroom and expand living area.  Using loft for bedroom . . .

I think Rob LeMays cabin is 16 X 24.

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

bpaar

Ross Chapin has some excellent designs, and look at the Katrina cottages.

Here is 14x24 work in progress, designed as a full time residence for 1 or 2 people (beach house). Has a guest nook upstairs, and the built in couch has a pull out bed. This is a most for the least concept, drawn here using post and beam construction. Conventional framing could be used as well.
Bill