WHEN ASKING A QUESTION AND EXPECTING AN ANSWER...

Started by MountainDon, April 15, 2011, 06:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

When asking a question about how to do something or to ask "is this a good idea" it is of great assistance to have a drawing accompany the words. In fact I would go as far as to say if the question can not be answered with a simple Yes or No, it should be accompanied with a drawing.

A sketch with dimensions on it is truly worth a thousand words. Just imagine how many different framing plans or details could be drawn, all different but still, meeting some of the word pictures we see. We can be talking about two completely different things when we only have words to read. Pretend that we do not speak the same verbal or written  language, but can read the numerals and have an understanding that ft = feet and so on.

In any verbal description using north and south, not left or right, so we can orient ourselves; then the beam spanning N-S and the joist spanning E-W onto the beam starts to really make some sense, although a picture is still better, because then we are looking at the same thing.

The answer to one specific situation may only be correct if all the components are exactly the same. Change one and the correct engineered answer could be different.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Also, if you edit your profile to put your general area somewhere in your signature line at the bottom or to the side picture/text area.  It would help as many questions and answers can be region or location specific.

Unfortunately the Location information line does not appear on the posting.  You need to put it in the Picture/text line or the signature line.

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Not to belabor the point, but actually that is exactly what I want to do...

When asking a question do not assume the folks reading your query will remember where you are, what you are doing or any of that stuff that you know like the back of your hand. Annotated photos help. Neatly drawn drawings with dimensions as I have  mentioned before are invaluable. It saves time, saves giving/getting misinformation and generally helps everyone if as many accurate facts are delivered with the query.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

gardensandcabins

MountainDon,
I keep trying to swat that damn bug on my screen..
You got me...

rick91351

Quote from: gardensandcabins on July 02, 2011, 05:59:08 PM
MountainDon,
You got me...

We don't talk about that anymore.  We just try to just humor him.  He is going through a lot right now, and he never really seems to understand that his computer has a bug.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Quote from: gardensandcabins on July 02, 2011, 05:59:08 PM
MountainDon,
You got me...

OOOOOOOOOH, guess I can put down the fly swatter.
Not fair during fly season, MD
Note to self: Fix the screen door
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Don_P