roof question

Started by jdhen, October 11, 2009, 07:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhen

I'll be starting on the roof this week and I have a question about the ridge board.  The rafters are 2x10  with 12/12 pitch so the length of the plumb cut is 12 7/8th inches.  I have a 2x12 ridge board.  Is it ok to leave the space at the bottom of the ridge board or do I need to replace it with a strip so the entire plumb cut makes contact?  I've read in some books that some will place an additional 2x4 under the 2x12 so the whole rafter makes contact but I've also seen in several photos where there is a gap and not complete contact.
Which is correct?
Jesse

PEG688

Code says yes,  fill it in. In reality it will be fine either way so it's up to you if you have no inspector to please.

You'll be adding collar ties or really what will be ceiling joists later so that little space under the ridge board is really nothing to worry about.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

jdhen

Thanks, PEG.  I was hoping you'd say that!  :)
Jesse

Don_P

Fill it or drop the ridge to the bottom of the plumb cut, leaving the gap high. The reason it is supposed to be filled is that it can induce splitting if it's left dangling.

Redoverfarm

Personally I wouold do as Don suggested and drop the ridge esp[ecially if you are going to finish that area later.  The roof sheeting will cover the top.

jdhen

If I do fill it I guess I'll have to do it after the fact.  I got the temporary support poles in today and it would be too hard to take it all down.  Maybe when the rafters are in place I can shove a 2x4 in the space and toenail it into place.
Jesse

PEG688

Here's all most exactly what your doing ,

Filled in after:

Collar tie / ceiling joist nailing pattern :

More collar tie views :

Dormer anyone:

You might need a strong back as well,

PEG688

How about a back framed valley , you got any of those?

60 year old roof with a 1x6 ridge is it code, hell no ! Does it still keep the rain and snow off yer head? Hell yes!

How about those 2x4 rafters over spanned , sure , a bit of a swale , yup . Is that code , Hell NO! Does it work , hell yes.

Every code written isn't a great idea! Live a little eh ::)

PEG688

Have fun! You'll be fine !

jdhen

Thanks for posting those images, PEG.  It's always more helpful to see pics than to just read descriptions.
What does the strong back do?  Stiffen the collar ties? I'd never heard that term before.
Jesse

John Raabe

Good old wood framing... so forgiving.

We all need a little slack :D
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Quote from: jdhen on October 13, 2009, 08:50:09 PM

Thanks for posting those images, PEG. 

Your welcome.

It's always more helpful to see pics than to just read descriptions.

Yes text is well just that written words and term some may not be familiar with , photo's do flesh things out. 

What does the strong back do? 

It ties the joist in this case a 12/12 pitch 2nd floor loft very similar to  some of John's plans at C/P's, the strong back ties them together and adds stiffens and some load carrying capabilities , very limited added load , but some. What it's mainly doing from my prospective is tying them together making the joists more "one unit" as someones tag line says " None of us are as smart as all of us!" maybe John's tag line or close to it. Anyway thats sort of what a Strong back does ties things together so one member isn't carrying as much weight, spreading the load , making them work together.

That may not be exactly the best written way to describe it but it's the best I can come up with to describe it.       

Stiffen the collar ties?

The members shown are the dormer area ceiling joist , they are also collar ties in a way similar to your plan , but not exactly like yours , there are two dormers in that area  on this place front and back if you will , so the collar / ties / joist span longer than the "normal"  collar ties on either side of those dormers.

I'd never heard that term before.

Terms seem to vary depending on the area one lives in , some what. Like rake boards , some call them barge brds , some verge boards , etc so that part of the puzzle. I guess.

Here's that building from a different view:

And completed from the road:

The home owner did his own siding work and he sort of screwed it up , but it looks good from the road.

PEG688

Quote from: John Raabe on October 13, 2009, 09:01:50 PM

Good old wood framing... so forgiving.

Wood was better then , but still wood framing is as you say forgiving

We all need a little slack :D

Yes, that true , thats why I deleted one of my posts on this thread , I was cutting myself some slack and some one else some as well.

JRR

PEG688, that's a very pleasing looking house.  Interesting, to me, that such a large portion of space is dedicated to vehicle garage.  Do you know the dimensions of the building?

PEG688

Quote from: JRR on October 14, 2009, 07:03:51 AM

PEG688, that's a very pleasing looking house.

THanks

Interesting, to me, that such a large portion of space is dedicated to vehicle garage. 

It's a detached garage / shop ground floor and a guest room / hobby room upstairs.

Do you know the dimensions of the building?

24' x 35' IIRC.

JRR

Quote from: PEG688 on October 14, 2009, 08:09:11 AM
Quote from: JRR on October 14, 2009, 07:03:51 AM

It's a detached garage / shop ground floor and a guest room / hobby room upstairs.

AHAH!  ...even more interesting! 

Thanks for the info...