Builder's Cottage

Started by vern38, August 11, 2006, 08:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern38

Well as fate would have it I received the rest of the Dr. Bills from Kathy's cancer surgery and treatment and looks like the land purchase is out. :'( Kathy being the champ she is had some great Ideas and between the 2 of us came up with a plan to go ahead and build the Builder's Cottage in the back yard. We had already planed to do quite a bit of work back there anyway so we will just add a guest house with porch, deck, etc. for weekend fun. If we want to go somewhere I guess we can always take the RV out.

Already called and talked to the city permit dept. and things look good. (They like knowing I have plans. Most home owners around here that do home projects don't. ) I am going to do my own plumbing and electrical as well so this should be fun. I did take 2 years of electrical trades in high school so that will come in handy. I used that learned talent on a garage remodel last year we did and saved the electricians fees. City inspector said I did a great job. All you have to do here is homestead your home and the owner can pull the permits to do all the work him/her self just so long it passes inspection. Any way I will start posting pics of the progres. Guess the land shot will be first.

Vern

Here's last years garage remodel, it's a game/family room now.

desdawg

I have seen very few garages that were actually used to park cars in. There are so many better alternatives.

jraabe

Vern:

With that level of quality on a garage project I look forward to what you can do with the Builder's Cottage!  8-)

Best wishes and I hope most of the doctor Biz is now behind you two.

vern38

Thanks John, we got the news we have been waiting for and looks like she beat it. All that is left to do is go to some Dr appointments to make sure things stay that way. Anyway NUFF of that stuff, below is a cropped pic I found in one of the posts one night that I showed to Kathy. Boy was that a mistake , this is what Kathy want's ours to look like. I think this where I say

Vern

desdawg

You can do it. Look at what you did with that garage!

vern38

Well I finally have my first pic of the beginning; we will call it the stake out,  got out today and measured out the building site and staked it out. Second thing I did was make a trip to the local building supply and found everything I needed except the 4x8x24' beams. Longest beams I could find were 4x6x12'. Looks like I'm going to have to do a build up for my beams. 2-8' and 2-16' staggered and nailed together should do it. Tomorrow Kathy is going to stop by the appraisal district office and get a copy of the homestead papers so I can get ready to file for my permits.

More to come,

Vern