Plans Change, and now I'm starting with a 12 X 12

Started by JavaMan, April 20, 2010, 12:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

FLV = Flash Video, the de facto standard for streaming video (web based)

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

OlJarhead

Hmmm never seen it before ;)  Must be getting out of touch with all the cabin life! LOL

So what player can you use to watch it?

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

JavaMan

I use Movie Player - on linux...

I could do an MP4, but it's about 5 times the size.

JavaMan

So, I got the tax bill in the mail today.

Apparently, because of the fire, the value of my property has declined ... to slightly less than 50% of what they were saying it's worth (and taxing me on).

That will save me enough to put steel on the place, if it wasn't burned to the ground.  ;D d*

Jared Drake

I haven't read through this whole thread yet, but I will. I got excited when I saw "ham shack". I don't have a shack and probably never will, but I do have a corner in my bedroom. I like small radios. I'm KF5TJC, Jared in Arkansas. I posted here because I figured you'd have a better chance of seeing it than a private message. Sorry to interrupt.

JavaMan

Nah, don't worry about interrupting.

My life is one big interruption of late... d*  I think I am going to take some action to fix that, though.

Didn't get to the property this year except for a few days between jobs.  And then family business interrupted that and I had to come home.  Then the fires happened and I haven't been able to get back up there since.

I am planning on it as soon as the snow is out, though.

JavaMan

Happy new year to every one.

Yesterday I received the news that 1) the place my employer was hoping to put me on a project decided for some reason not to put me there... 2) then they informed me that they could no longer afford to have me sitting on the bench ... at which #3) my wife got pissed at me and called my employer (I guess former employer now) a liar because they were looking out for the interests of their business as was expected.

The good news is that they are still attempting to market me to at least one other possible client, and are looking for others. But, as of Jan 1, 2016 I am once again, unemployed.  You can probably tell, I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

So, any trips and development on the property will be put on hold until further notice.

Adam Roby

Happy New Year...  sorry it is starting off rough.
They say you sometimes have to hit rock bottom before things turn around.  With any luck, this is the bottom and things will start to look up as the new year gets going.

Best of luck!

JavaMan

Thanks!

I don't think it could get much worse than yesterday.  All the news one right after the other... by the end of the night I was one grumpy elf...

Can't go anywhere but up from here!

JavaMan

Well, like I said, it can only go up from there... and it did.  Back to work on Monday.

Of course, there are other things that need fixing... or maybe they're unrepairable, but I'll have to determine that yet.

Meanwhile, I can still start putting some cash by to finish the shed and start the construction of the "real" cabin

JavaMan

Change of plans ... again.

This is going to be the summer of the big push.  I am not going to focus on the 12x12 as much and start working on the actual cabin.

The first part will be to fell some trees and cut a road (yeah, more like a trail wide enough to get the truck through) to the building site for the cabin.  Also dig the foundation, and pour it. Then somewhere along in there I've made arrangements with a friend with a mill to come mill up some trees for me for the cabin for timber walls ... and most of the lumber I'll use for flooring and roofing.  I have a crew of 3 or 4 or more guys I know that are chomping at the bit to come up and help put it all together.

With an really aggressive schedule it should be done just as the snow starts to fly. But my experience with those really aggressive schedules is that they usually take more time than usual, so I'm figuring realistically, probably mid-summer 2017.  But I am going to push the crew hard to get it done before then.  ;D

JavaMan

I'm getting the itch to get to my place and explore a bit.  So I was thinking of heading up on Memorial Day weekend.  Leaving Friday.  It might just be an overnight thing... head up Friday afternoon, and return Saturday.  Just to I remind myself of the lay of the land, if you will.  Get a bit of motivation. Re-connect with the land.

To that end, I might not even take the truck, but rather the bike.  After all, if it's a 1 day trip, 60mpg is way better than 14-15 mpg!  I'd have to figure out how to pack a tent, etc... and decide if I can ride that bike up the road to the property.

Of course, that means that if I get the itch to actually do work, there's no tools, so the only thing I could do would be to rent the excavator, have it delivered, and work on putting the "drive" in to the building site.  And then, if I haven't accidentally killed myself by then, dig the foundation hole/trench.  Of course that means I should get the tripod and laser level for making certain the bottom of the trench/hole is level and uniform.

Hmmm... Gonna give this some thought.

nailit69

Speaking from experience...  it's gonna take a day just to dig the hole.  I rented a "Mini" and spent 1 full day digging and moving dirt with 2 guys on shovels just for the foundation and that was after clearing the sagebrush.  If you go alone it'll take more time to do the "handwork"... try to get that extra day cuz you'll need it. 

JavaMan

Well, currently the plan is to head up Monday after work, or at o-dark-thirty Tuesday morning.  Get there, make arrangements for the excavator to be delivered late Tuesday afternoon (like the last thing they do before closing up for the day), drive it up to the site (I don't think they will deliver it right to the site... but I'll ask).

Why in the afternoon? for a couple reasons. 1. I have to work.  I have to actually do SOMEthing that looks like work!... then, I also want to check out and mark where I want the drive in to the building site is actually going to go.  This is so that when I have the excavator, I'm not simply winging it based on a guess.  I'll have been over it yet one more time before the excavator arrives.  And finally, so that I have time to walk down to where it is going to be delivered.

Once I have it, I will start working on the road. If I get it by 4, I should be able to get started working by 5, and knock off around 8 or 8:30.  A good 3+ hours.  Then up at the crack of dawn and at the very least finish up the drive.  If I don't get the hole dug, I'm ok with that.  Getting the drive in would put me ahead of my original schedule by at least a week. and that week would be the week for digging the foundation hole.

Unfortunately, I have to be back in the city Thursday night for a Friday appointment.  Then, if the budget allows, I will head back over the long weekend. and get more done!

JavaMan

Nope, not what is happening.

The plan now is ... either Friday afternoon or Saturday morning, head up.  Arrange to have the excavator delivered on Saturday first thing in the AM (If I leave Friday) or as soon as possible on Saturday... work it all weekend, as well as running loads of CMUs up for the stem wall.  I figure every time I head up the hill, I can take a load of some of them. 4 or 5 times up the hill I'll have a couple courses ready to stack once the foundation is poured and cured.

nailit69

Too bad they can't deliver everything right to your site... packing block anywhere is a real b!tch.

JavaMan

Quote from: nailit69 on May 25, 2016, 06:41:09 AM
Too bad they can't deliver everything right to your site... packing block anywhere is a real b!tch.

Don't I know it!  But that's ok.  Strangely, in my mind doing it this way is easier on my budget LOL

Yonderosa

Man I sure hope you can get this rolling. We've enjoyed our place for eight years now.  Got some county compliance issues but we're paying the ransom/bribe (7K) and should be back to no worries soon. We don't get over often enough but EVERY time we wish we weren't leaving.  Best of luck and hope you can finally get someplace you can enjoy in this beautiful part of the world.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

nailit69

Quote from: JavaMan on May 25, 2016, 02:15:39 PM
Don't I know it!  But that's ok.  Strangely, in my mind doing it this way is easier on my budget LOL

That's the nice thing about CMU... you can do as much or as little as you want.

OlJarhead

Hmmmmmm    ???  No pics yet huh?  Figured we'd at least see the survival post from the fires  ???

Hope it's because you are busy busy busy working!  c*

JavaMan

That, and i cant seem to find the cable for the camera!

I'll be trying to get them up in thw next coupe days.

The plan is to head back Friday after work. Hopefully get there by about 7 if i dont make too many stops  :)

OlJarhead

I'll be heading up this weekend also but not to the cabin.  Have a milling job in Mazama that will take me all week to complete (155 logs).  I'm hoping the weather cools down though!  Would suck to mill 7 or 8 days straight in this heat!