Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEG688

Doors and back installed and a look at the hinges used.

A few more details and it will be ready for Benite then staining.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

I like those hinges. I mean the works okay too, but I love the hardware.    ;D ;D

Magnetic catches, or are the door to cabinet hinges sprung? Pulls?
Looks real nice, Paul
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

Quote from: MountainDon on December 06, 2008, 09:26:22 PM

#1:Magnetic catches, or are the door to cabinet hinges sprung?

#2:   Pulls?

#3:Looks real nice, Paul

#1: Both the Aximat hinges the black ones are spring loaded , the inner doors are "caught/ held closed" by a mag. catch.

#2: Yes, one pull each door in-line with the trim I'll be installing tomorrow , the pulls are being shipped to the designer place , I'll install them on site when I deliver it. I'll also bore some more wire pass-thru holes onsite when I see what exactly needs to go where.

#3: Thanks.  :)   

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

Here is the bathroom that we just remodeled for a client. 
Before

and after paint, walnut flooring, and a new custom built vanity

Close ups of the vanity I built for her out of that salvage Ipe.

The end panel matches the doors.  Doors are different color because no finish yet.  Panels are v-grooved Ipe.  Countertop is Ipe with breadboard ends.  I was lucky enough to have the guy at a local shop run it through his thickness sander for me, and save hours of belt sander work, and untold number of belts!  This stuff is hard, but machined surprisingly well, even through my cheapo planer.  I REALLY need to build myself a drum sander though, so I can do that myself of cab doors too.  It made such a huge difference.  I can imagine it being an indespensible tool once you have one.  I am thinking about one with two drums though, for two different grits.  It'll be a while before I have time to build it, and the $100 or so for the materials.  Gotta source an old treadmill from somebody for the powerfeed bed too.
Gotta get a new camera to carry at work too.  Cell phone camera works great if plenty of light.  Too much gain in night mode, makes pics grainy.  Thanks for the tips PEG
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Quote from: Jens on December 12, 2008, 10:02:21 PM

Thanks for the tips PEG

Nice job , your welcome.

I delivered the TV cabinet yesterday , he likes it.

He needs to move some pictures on the wall .

On to the next one.   :)

glenn kangiser

How could he not like it.  That's a beauty, PEG. :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

MountainDon

Nice. I see some picture re-hanging is in order.  :D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

What kind of finish do you have on that cabinet (stain and topcoat)?  I am probably getting some quartersawn white oak for furniture and built-ins, and like the color a lot.  Don't know how similar the WO till stain up, but raw, it is pretty close to the alder.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

PEG688

Quote from: Jens on December 15, 2008, 10:50:30 AM

What kind of finish do you have on that cabinet (stain and topcoat)? 

Don't know how similar the WO till stain up, but raw, it is pretty close to the alder.

One coat of Daly's Benite , a sanding sealer type product. Put on with a rag.

One coat Minwax  # 233 English Chestnut oil based stain. Applied with a rag and wiped down pretty much right away / as you go.

3 coats Daly's AquaSpar, Satin. A water borne varnish.  Put on with a small roller , the roller pads are no more the 1 1/2" round and then right away / as you go brushed out.  It could be sprayed if one had the right equipment.

Jens

Is the sanding sealer a shellac wash?  Sounds kind of like how I am finishing the pine for the trim in our house, washcoat shellac, two coats english chestnut, three coats tinted shellac finish.  Color is pretty close too.  I like the warm brown :)

Homegrown Tomatoes

Man, y'all make the rest of us look like six-year-olds with sets of lincoln logs...  nice TV cabinet, PEG. 

MountainDon

Benite's not a shellac. It contains petroleum distillates and cleans up with mineral spirits. Works great at preventing blotchiness in soft woods.

Jens

I'll have to give it a try.  Where do you get it?  Paint store, HD, Lowes, Woodcraft?  A thinned coat of shellac does a very good job at reducing blotchiness, with the added benefit of being a natural product.

MountainDon

I bought mine at a now out of business smallish paint store. You won;t it in box stores. In fact you may not find it at all, they are not in every state. They do have a website and an online store though; Google Daly's Paint.

Sassy

Jens, quite an improvement in the bathroom remodel!  Looks great. 

PEG, all I can say is "gorgeous"! 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Quote from: Jens on December 16, 2008, 01:55:25 PM

I'll have to give it a try.  Where do you get it?  Paint store, HD, Lowes, Woodcraft? 

A thinned coat of shellac does a very good job at reducing blotchiness, with the added benefit of being a natural product.

Around here the local lumber yard carries it as well as the local Home despot and Ace. It does vary widely by region as to it on the shelf availability.

Shellac is a good sealer , but it's a pain to store , you need alcohol to clean up the brushes with , it dries almost TO FAST making it a PITA to work with IMO.

Benite natural as well it's made out of mostly oil , and oil comes out of the round so there fore it's a natural product.

The poor Lac bug toils how many hours to produce those flakes , have you no sympathy for the Lac bug!!!!!!!! [rofl2]   

PEG688

Whitlock

Nice cabinet Peg [cool] What will you be building next?
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

PEG688

Quote from: Whitlock on December 17, 2008, 10:32:28 PM

Nice cabinet Peg [cool] What will you be building next?

A garden lattice out of clear Cedar . And maybe a queen bed frame head /  foot board with raised panels out of Alder .

There also are two doors to re-work add adjustable sills , re-rabbit and kerf for weather stripping  and rehang in the re worked jambs.

After that who knows.

Thanks for the kind words on the cabinet.     

PEG688

Got the last mantel installed today dispite snow on the roads.

Don't blame me for the rug , it ain't my house.  ;) 

glenn kangiser

Cool, PEG...got rid of another one of those mean old polar bears... :)   Nice work.

Jens

I like rugs like that!  they are really good for keeping the draft from coming in under the fireplace...er, I mean, door.  Looks good Peg.  I have never been a fan of MDF, but it sure does machine nice and clean.

PEG688

The rugs fine,  I guess. It's the location (to close to the fireplace yes it's gas and MAYBE that area doesn't get very warm BUT........it seems to close to fire to me) but just it's rug-ability  ???  it's not me but it's OK.

Yes MDF does machine nice. OR looks good once it's machined. It dusty , real dusty to machine, and theres no up side to that , no nice smell just a brown yucky glue and dust smell .

And it is very stable IF it never , ever gets wet . So for those wide-ish panels it damned near perfect. It will never split like a real wood panel might

And it is cheap in relation to ANY species of wood.

So it has it's place.   

PEG688

Garden lattice with a  hint of Greene & Greene / Mission / Craftmans style.

Some of the components :

Assembled glued and pegged:

The peg's are intentional left proud and "faceted".