SawStop

Started by MountainDon, March 16, 2015, 07:34:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

SawStop has a new model. It's a jobsite saw. Same safety stop that senses flesh contacting the blade. Better price than the other models but still more dollars than the average workshop saw.

http://www.sawstop.com/table-saws/by-model/jobsite-saw#overview

and a short article from Fine Homebuilding
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/item/73988/sawstop-portable-job-site-tablesaw?&lookup=auto&V27=&V28=&V29=&V30=&V31=&V32=&V33=&V34=&V35=&V55=&V56=&Taun_Per_Flag=True&utm_source=eletter&utm_medium=eletter&utm_content=fhb_eletter&utm_campaign=fine-homebuilding-eletter
...with a promise of an article after they test it.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

akwoodchuck

They make a fine saw; I worked in a cabinet/top shop one winter, they had one of the stationary models....cut as smooth as any Delta, Jet, or even the pricey German saws. One of the guys set off the safety mechanism one day, saw probably paid for itself right there.  One thing I didn't like was the big "paddle" style on/off switch....every time you lean in to finish a cut, your hip bumps it and turns the saw off a second too soon...kind of a pain.
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."

rick91351

Quote from: akwoodchuck on March 16, 2015, 07:47:23 PM
They make a fine saw; I worked in a cabinet/top shop one winter, they had one of the stationary models....cut as smooth as any Delta, Jet, or even the pricey German saws. One of the guys set off the safety mechanism one day, saw probably paid for itself right there.  One thing I didn't like was the big "paddle" style on/off switch....every time you lean in to finish a cut, your hip bumps it and turns the saw off a second too soon...kind of a pain.

That is the biggest problem with their cabinet saws.  It is the oversized off switch that sets you up for failure.  Usually only however when ripping expensive cherry or some weird wood from Bolivia or Katmandu.  If you are going to set up a SawStop Saw make sure yo buy a spare cartridge for both dado and the saw they are different.  Also, it will kill your $150 Freud or ______  blade.  When it fires and grabs the blade it is toast. But then so would have been your thumb, or knuckle on you pointy finger.  So here is the rub and believe it or not I have heard it, it don't want it ruining and expensive saw blade.   It won't - absolutely will not until you get you finger or hand in the way.  I do have a friend who has had problems with it firing off on wet wood so he claims and I have not looked into that. But as a whole I love SawStop!!!

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

Wet or treated wood can set it off, but you can turn the saw stop off when working in those woods as per the instructions. I didn't turn it off with some partially dried treated and air dried sawmill wood, kind of just to see what would happen, no problems. I think he's done about as good as you can do with the sensor. It will destroy the blade and the aluminum block/cartridge when it goes off, sort of a small price to pay. The on off switch didn't really bother me. I'm aware of it, you can turn the saw off easily with a bump. Yup I hit it a couple of times accidentally while getting used to it. I'd have to go look but my memory is that the paddle was just a snap on and can be unclipped. I do prefer the raised round mushroom type red stop buttons on machines and can hit them easily enough. One of my old craftsman saws came with that small, kind of difficult red lever on/off switch. A friend was using it and while looking underneath hunting for the switch drifted his finger down the throat. There are no intelligent accidents  :-\. I was pretty impressed with the sawstop and thought their cabinet saw was a very well made machine.

rick91351

I have used the cabinet saw and alway around nice dry lumber.  Did have trouble bumping the shutoff paddle.  ;)  MORE THAN COUPLE TIMES  :D  Might be because where I stand.  I am left handed so stuff like that occurs more because if it is set up because the wrong side is the right side  ;D  My friend to has a more 'utilitarian' shop you might say I was somewhat alarmed when he said you can run into trouble with wet wood.  Woodcrafters Store in Boise has a blade and cartage on display back in the classroom shop.  Myself I don't worry too much about it.  My table saw is one of those old hand me downs.  Was a saw at Trimco a molding supply outlet had they 'wore' it out.  A lumber yard bought it.  He built his two kids houses with it then sold it to me and tossed in a couple blades for $150 or so.  Has a nice fence and still runs well.  Waiting for him to call with a SawStop Saw that you can't passs up!!  :-\     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

Rick, I'm a lefty too. Are you sure it wasn't a dunlop to paddle issue  ;D I've set up a saw with the fence to the left but I'm too used to a right hand fence. Actually I was thinking about it more after y'all's comments. The one I used is in a very nice shop that I helped build about 5 years ago. We worked on the house again this past year and the running joke was that it is really my shop. Anyway he set up the saw with roller tables so I was never in that leaning over the saw to balance a board position. I probably didn't have to get in as close.

Ernest T. Bass

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

MountainDon

Ah!  You beat me to it!!!   :) :) 
Just received an email in my inbox a few minutes ago, about this.........

Coincidentally, Bosch will announce their new REAXX (for "reacts") GTS1041A saw that uses flesh-sensing technology to trigger a mechanism that retracts the blade below the table if the operator makes contact with the blade while it is spinning on 3/20/2015.   This is great as I am certain the competion will bring other saw manufacturers into the fray. Hopefully the competition will lower costs to where it would be truly foolhardy not to buy a "safety saw".

Bosch Takes Aim at SawStop
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

NathanS

Thought I'd give this thread a bump to say that I decided to buy the sawstop jobsite saw. I had been thinking about holding out for a workshop space and getting one of the big ones.

But, I have a lot of hours on a table saw now and every time I turn it on I still wonder if this is the time I lose a finger or who knows what else. An expensive saw, but I am in the process of ripping 900BF of cherry for trim, cabinets, stairs... it was time.

Aside from the safety, the thing cuts like butter. My old saw with the same blade was burning a lot of rips in cherry, and I have not had a single burn mark on the new saw. The fence is awesome. Everything about it is well thought out.

It's a lot of money, but less than permanent nerve damage or missing fingers. I have seen some youtube videos of guys with a lot of false confidence about how they could never injure themselves... as if they've never hit their thumb with a hammer. I don't get it.

In 2021 the Sawstop patents start to expire so hopefully all saws will have this technology eventually.

MountainDon

I love great fences on saws. They can make a big difference in how nice they are to use.

NathanS

Seriously. Being able to trust the marks on the saw, knowing the fence is parallel... what a time saver. Slides really smoothly and locks in place with the push of a button. The markings on the measure are so clear I have to catch myself not to think 1/8th of an inch is a 1/16th.

I had been using a Kobalt saw I got on special... and boy was it special.

Alan Gage

I've had their 3hp cabinet saw for about 5 years. Been very happy with it. Accidentally tripped two cartridges (cutting conductive materials) and one went bad of its own accord (saw wouldn't turn on). I was able to remove the blades from the tripped cartridges without much trouble and couldn't see an issue with them. Sent them in to be sharpened and they came back fine.

I got it because a cabinet maker friend owes half his finger to his Sawstop. Sometimes I regret spending that much and it pisses me off having to buy cartridges now and again but I'd be a lot more upset if I cut off a digit.

Never had an issue with accidentally shutting it off with the large paddle but have appreciated being able to easily bump it with my hip when I find my arms or the piece in awkward positions at the end or part way through a cut.

Alan