This is why I chose a pier foundation...

Started by Beavers, March 21, 2019, 12:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavers

I know there are a lot of downsides to a pier foundation, but getting the house up high out of the flood waters was my main reason for choosing them, and it paid off.

Woke up 6 AM Friday to find almost 3' of water outside.  I had planned ahead and had the canoe tied up outside.  We loaded up into the canoe and paddled out to the highway where we had parked the vehicles the night before and were able to get out of the area before the highway flooded.  The water went down enough by Monday for us to get back into the house.  I got some water in my shed and outdoor kitchen.  There's a lot of mud to clean up but nothing destroyed.  Looking at the highwater mark on the house I still had about 2' of freeboard before my floor would of got wet.

Rys

Wow! Glad you were spared any significant damage.

Don_P

We built a house in the sandhills about 25 years ago, they have certainly been on our minds, as have all of you there. I remember a quote from Willa Cather, "You may think I talk overmuch about the weather, but Nebraska has overmuch weather". The only place I felt compelled to see how fast the motorhome could run. I hope things improve for y'all soon.

Beavers

Thanks guys.  It definitely could of been much worse. Thankfully the little house held strong and stayed dry.