Deer Run- 16x26 in Oklahoma

Started by ScottA, October 11, 2007, 03:41:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

ScottA

Drilling for water...sideways. Found water 200' away 3' deep.

ScottA

Well after nearly 2 years we finaly got water to the property. I hired a crew to drill under the hiway to the water main on the other side. They showed up with over a half million dollars worth of equipment and got the job done in 6 hours. Worked out to about $500 an hour not counting material. I still need to connect the water to the cabin but that will be easy after this fiasco.

MountainDon

Cheaper than wells I know about around here.    ;D

How deep under the road?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

ScottA

It's about 7' deep at the center of the road. The rig they have is really cool. They can steer it underground.

MountainDon

That would be cool to see.   :)
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

TexstarJim

Hey Scott, congrats on getting your water line going.  Thanks for sharing the photos too, very interesting stuff. ;D
Rule #1: "Don't sweat the small stuff"
Rule #2: "It's all small stuff"

diyfrank

Thats a pretty slick machine they have.
When we bore we have to prep a hole large enough for the machine to sit in at the desired depth.
Glad to see you got it over to your place. Sounds like they treated you right.
Home is where you make it

glenn kangiser

That's great, Scott.  Glad you finally got water.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Thanks guys. I'm going to pick up the wire for the electrical service today. By monday I won't need to run a cord to the pole anymore.

ScottA

I got the permanent power hooked up today. This is a real milestone (the second in a week) for us. It's so nice to just walk in and flick on a switch instead of the daily ritual of stringing out extension cords. The service is #4 copper in conduit underground. It connects to a sub-pannel on the pole with a 100 amp breaker. I'm picking up the mahogany paneling tomorrow.

MountainDon

ScottA

Some new pics.

Fall is in full swing.

My work area today. Kinda messy.

Making progress on the paneling.

Office corner where the desk will go.

Looking up into the loft.

ScottA

Ship's ladder finished.

More paneling in the living room area.

Storage loft.

Bed area in the loft.

Other end of the bed area.

ScottA

Cat who runs our house (Snowy) and me the cat bed at home in front of the computer.

Redoverfarm

Finally a face to go with the name.  Looks like you are making very good progress.  At that rate you will make your deadline.  What are your plans on finishing the paneling.

For me I am still at the will and pleasure of my plumber.  He showed up last night and worked until 11:30 running the main 3/4" gas line.  Suppose (?) to show back up friday night to run the 1/2" drops and drip tubes and will finish it up except the flex line to the individual appliances.

TexstarJim

"Finally a face to go with the name." - Well who's that guy in the avatar/picture?  (just joking)

It all looks really good Scott and all your hard work is paying off.  I really enjoy viewing the pictures, so keep them coming please.  Scott, do you realize that there has been almost 60,000 views of your thread?

ScottA

I'll sand it next week then apply minwax stain. I did a test piece yesterday to see how it looks. I don't think I'll mess with laquer. It looks fine with just the stain. I will put poly on any trim pieces that will be subject to frequent touching. The paneling should be done by saturday. With luck I'll have it all stained by halloween. Next step will be cabnets.

Bobmarlon

looking good scott, is that all mahogany wood paneling?

ScottA

Quotelooking good scott, is that all mahogany wood paneling?

Yes, it cost $11 a sheet, it's 1/8" thick.

glenn kangiser

Thank for the pix, Scott.  You are making great progress and electricity too... :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

RainDog

That paneling looks really great.

I've gone over this thread a few times. Still haven't decided whether I'm inspired or just jealous.

Oh, wait wait. It's not all about me, is it? I keep forgetting that.  :)

Seriously, your cabin looks fantastic. Really something to take pride in. Thanks for all the photos, too.

Good show!
Parks
NE OK

TexstarJim

Scott, the weather appears to improving and according to weather.com, the next 10 days call for sunshine.  Even if half those days are sunny, it will give us a chance to get more work done.  I think you're mostly done on the outside, but damp weather still effects your place unless you've finished with everything that needs low humidity to dry and/or cure?

jdhen

Don't believe 'em Jim!  They've teased us before with 10 days of sun and it always changes!  ;D
Actually I do feel good about the next ten days as weather.gov concurs with weather.com.  Hopefully there's strength in numbers.
I'm afraid that after I get the roof on the mother of all droughts will start!
Jesse

ScottA

QuoteI'm afraid that after I get the roof on the mother of all droughts will start!

You know it will. Has it stopped raining since you started framing?

I got most of my outside work done. I managed to get the deck stain on last weekend during a 3 day dry spell. I still need to hook the water up to the cabin and paint the front door. Worst part about the rain is it's so dark and gloomy.