I now have walls (More progress)

Started by Jimmy_Cason, November 27, 2005, 11:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

[smiley=cool.gif]

Jimmy_Cason

My wife is still flip-flopping back and forth with the idea about building a two story or a one and a half story.
I need to get her to make up her mind pretty quick. She likes the look of the one and a half story from the outside. She is worried the two story will look too tall on our lot. But, she also likes the room the two story allows.   What to do? What to do?

spinnm

Yes you do!  I know that you told us all summer how hot it was, but I'm envying you now if those pics are current.  We're getting the tag end of the Alberta clipper that's all over the Rockies....24 tonight.....and wind that'll make you take notice.

Your lumber looks good.  We're building the well-house cum potting shed and spending way too much time trying to compensate for the #$%% that was delivered.  Is your lumber local?  Himself taking his cheater, pulling out the twist and yelling "shoot it!"  What fun. :P

spinnm

dunno.  With all those tall trees it would seem that the 2 story would be OK balancing against the structure.  But it's a perspective thing.

jraabe

You've done a good job on the foundation and platform.

Two story is definately cost effective and perhaps even easier to build per SF of usable floor area. Gives you more potential window area as well.

But, your wife is right, living under the lower sheltering roof makes for a house that is more connected to the site.

That was a BIG help I am sure!  ::)

DemianJ(Guest)

Jimmy,

The house looks great.  

As you know, I've struggled with the 1.5 vs. 2 story and decided to go with 2 due to the cheap space, even though the small footprint (20x24) will make the structure look tall.  You've probably already thought of this, but maybe build a model (or build it in 3D Home Architect).  Put horizontal siding on it and play with porch roof placement and exterior trim, both of which help a lot with breaking up the height and see if your wife agrees.

Here's a link to a 3D HA of my 20x24, 2 story with a 10/12 roof (I haven't figured out how to do the exterior trim yet).  I can send you views of it from other angles if you're interested.

http://countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=01;action=display;num=1131977235;start=15

(I've been trying to get the new link to work - looks like this thread did not make it over to the new board either - John)

Demian

Jimmy_Cason

Your lumber looks good.   Is your lumber local?  Himself taking his cheater, pulling out the twist and yelling "shoot it!"  What fun. :P

My lumber was bought from the home depot in Longview,Texas.
The tag on the side of the skid of 2 x 6's indicated the lumber was from Germany.
I would have thought it originated in one of the southern states.
It must be Hurricane related.
The studs were a very bright white color almost like they were bleached.
And they were Very, Very, straight.
Only a few out of 200+ had a slight twist!

QuotePut horizontal siding on it and play with porch roof placement and exterior trim, both of which help a lot with breaking up the height and see if your wife agrees.

Very good ideas. A front and side porch will be a must have addition.
I found a pic of what I want the inside of the porch to look like. It is very close to Johns plans.

jraabe

Yep, that's just about the same 7' wide porch as the plans show. I have a little different railing detail but there are 1000's of ways to do that and most people come up with their own anyway.

Also, RE the 1.5 to 2 floor issue — A wrap around porch on a two story design goes a long way towards tying the house to the landscape. The Pattern Language book calls this the pattern of "cascading roofs". It is a very useful technique I used in my own house (the Solar Saltbox which is two story at this end).

Amanda_931

My little "all natural" treehouse was built with Austrian 2x4's.  Local timber company guy thought that that was good because they were sooooo efficient.  Even if there was a mill under 75 miles away producing them.

Walls are good.

spinnm

Ah Jimmy, you have an artistic soul.  What a great looking porch.  Seems familar....like I've seen it b4.

And John, as usual, is right.  Many tricks to pull the eye down.  If you need the space, probably should go for it.

Jimmy_Cason

One more week and a little  more progress.
I raised some the stairwell walls and the center beam.

pioneergal

Wow Jimmy!

The pictures are great and the house is taking shape and looking awesome!
Keep up the good work.

What is your projected date for having the house enclosed from the elements and when are you wanting to move in?

Jackie

Jimmy_Cason

What is your projected date for having the house enclosed from the elements and when are you wanting to move in?

I plan on putting up the 2nd story floor joists and the remaining sheathing for the first floot this coming Saturday and Sunday.
Then put a giant tarp over it and start building again after the income tax check arrives.
I plan on it being sealed up by March.  
And then living in it by May.
I will finish the inside while I am in it.
The $875.00 dollars per month rent on my apartment could be put to good use in my building fund!

Jimmy_Cason

Sorry I keep posting pictures of every little milestone.
But, I am amazed at what I am getting done.
In the past I have only built a 10 x 20 deck
Thats it!
Now look at what I am doing.
If I can do it, anyone can.
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
After that, waiting for the next batch of lumber is a killer!

ailsaek

Wow!  *applause*  That looks great!

rampage

Jimmy, dont worry about posting too many pics. I for one cant get enough, and i'm sure i'm not alone. You must be on cloud 9 right about now. Its coming along great! I cant wait for the next set of pics. Keep up the good work, man.

glenn-k

Wow Jimmy.  Look at you go.  Please keep posting pictures.  We like em.   Great job.

glenn kangiser

Don't be bashful about posting pictures, Jimmy-- while I would never do it, we love others who brag on themselves.

Why, I remember------seems like just the other day, little Jimmy was wondering how to level his floor joists --- now he's on the second story.  That's our boy. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jimmy C.

I would hate to see what it would look like without the help I've found here!
Seeing other projects coming together is a huge motivator for me!

I wonder if it would be possible to have a category section for threads with just progress photos.

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

tjm73

Is Jimmy's project in the gallery section too?  I find the gallery section easier to look at when I'm admiring the pics of the project.

pioneergal

QuoteJimkm

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of.

My DH said that he agrees with your statement .......its mind over matter.

Like you, he has not done a lot of building. A few years ago he built a 10x12 deck by himself and a 16x24 storage barn with some assistance.

Back in the 80's he worked for a guy  for about 1 1/2 yrs. doing remodeling and vinyl siding.

Relying on limited experience, the help of this forum, and some prayers we are getting there.

I am so proud of what he has accomplished thus far!

We hope to start putting up walls beginning next week if all goes well.

The building is going up as the money flows.

We had a little set back but are ready now to get back to work.

Jimmy the pictures are great ......keep um comiing!

I would post pictures but I'm having a little trouble figuring out this picture posting thing.

John Raabe

The Gallery photos involve hand building each as a website page. As more and more projects have pictures and are updated by the owners/builders I will be pulling back on coding pages for the gallery... Only so much time.

Save those links so you can find your way back!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

tjm73

Oh.  I didn't realize they were so much extra work.  I've never coded a webpage.

Daddymem

Thought of subbing it out?  I imagine there has to a be few people here with the time and knowledge to help you out...
Or maybe a links page where the builders who have their own blogs or websites associated with CountryPlans could be linked for easy reference.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/