Home Accessories - handmade -  built-ins etc.

Started by glenn-k, March 21, 2006, 01:10:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

They look great - and frugality is a virtue.

Jens

Boy do I need a new camera!  Thanks for lightening them Don, for the comments Glenn and Considerations.  I am working on a desk right now for the creative director at our church.  It is my first comissioned piece of furniture.  All of it is reclaimed wood, or at least it was free to me!  Will post when I get photos taken.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

Jens

Just installed the desk today, my first furniture job!  All of the wood for this project was reclaimed, oak barn board for the drawer fronts, oak planks from our big house for the drawer boxes, face frames came from the runners of a huge pallet, top made up of boards that used to form the walls of the coal room in our basement.  The front lip is an old stud from our house.  Here are some pics.  If they are too big, Don, could you make a size suggestion?  My monitor is a 32" LCD TV, but I know not everyone has this big a screen.

Cocobolo pegs make the joinery happen.  Truth be told, I tried to dovetail the drawers, but a combination of not enough skills, and poor quality tools (need some good chisels) meant that the drawers ended up narrower than intended.  The pegs should really come in from the side, as the drawer sides are rabbited into the front, but then you couldn't see the pretty square heads!

this carving didn't turn out as nice as I wanted, and the glaze coat bled a bit, but still neat I think.

The desk is for the creative director of our church, so when I needed to deal with open knots I used a bit of Peg influence...hope you don't mind Pop.  (ok, maybe I should stop calling you that).  The other inlay there is my logo.

Celtic inspired cross, and beautiful wood grain.

I had a bit of hand tool fun on this too.  After gluing together the top, I needed to get rid of the squeeze out, and flatten the surface.  It won't fit in my planer, so I got the belt sander out.  I don't have many belts left, and thought about the $6 harbor freight jack plane.  I honed it up, and went to work.  It worked really well!  between that and my card scraper, I had a smooth top and bottom in about 30 minutes.

carving is Hebrew, "God is my salvation".  I just hope I copied what Rabbi Zivic wrote well enough!
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

MountainDon

Interesting wood, Jens. How'd you do the inlays?

:)

800 x 600 makes for pictures most anyone can view without sideways scrolling.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Jens

The inlays are from a strip of 1/4" oak.  I cut them out first, then scribed a line around them on the top.  I set my plunge router, with a 3/4" straight bit, and cut out the waste as close to the line as I could get, the rest I removed with carving chisels.  It took too long, and didn't end up with perfect set, but I am not a marquetry guy!  I set them a bit above the surface, and sanded them flush.

shulla

Wow.. lots of very impressive and beautiful stuff!!!! You folks are very creative and talented!

Love your work PEG! Everything you made looks beautiful!

Jens, I love that you wrote in Hebrew!!! That's so awesome & thoughtful!

lol So when can I hire you folks to make all kinda goodies for my house? :D (I WISH!!!!--- I'll have to get the house first!! lol) But seriously, I'm very impressed with everyone's work. You guys are all so awesome! :) Keep up with it & I wish you all the best & much success. :)

glenn kangiser

Glad you enjoy the forum.  Lots of ideas and inspiration here.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

Made this mirror for our church.  We started going through the book of Genesis last fall, and one of the first days, Pastor Mark took an apple and threw it at a mirror to symbolize the shattering of G-d's reflection through sin.  I snuck up on stage and grabbed a piece of the mirror, and with G-d's help, and the help of a broken board, I made this new, unbroken (albeit smaller) mirror and put it on the communion table during the last service in the Genesis series. 

PEG688

Nice job. Nice wood and symbolism. 

Are you converting to the Jewish faith? Why live under the old covenant when the new has been bought at such a costly price?     
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

Jens

Umm...to properly answer, it would take a completely new discussion board, several days, and a lot of patient listening :).  Suffice it to say, that the more searching I do, the closer I get to my original thoughts, concepts, and feelings, that the Christian writings are IMO mostly fabrication bred out of a discontent for the way things are (which in itself isn't bad), and a desire to create a new religion that has nothing at all to do with the old one, yet claims son ship to it.  Truth may be relative, it may be non-existent (pure truth), but to me, the "Gospel truth" is anything but.  I still take a great deal from Christian teachings, and writings.  It all reads much differently through Hebraic lenses.  Still not sure about conversion, but still hungry for the Mighty One of Jacob, yet not Christian...never really was, to be truthful.

This is not the proper place for a discussion such as this, though, this is for furniture! 

Mike 870

Wow, I don't know how I've missed this thread for the 2 years or so I've been reading these forums.  I guess it takes a spam bot to draw my attention to something.  

PEG and Jens you guys do some really great work.  I am very impressed.  

Here is the finished product of a coffee table I have been working on.  It is made out of leftover toung and groove cedar I had.  The legs are two pieces cut down and glued together.  There are more details in my "Adirondack Chair Weekend Project thread.

And here is the Adirondack chair I should have originally posted them here.

PEG688

Nice work Mike T  8)

A lil something I thru together,

More to come on this one, another 12 foot cabinet section and a gun rack / storage drawer system. And a bank vault door to trim out with some Cherry, I'm lookin forward to that part of the job. Should be very nice when I'm done. If I do say so myself, we'll see what ya-all think in the next month or so.

glenn kangiser

Hows the project coming, PEG?  Always professional when you do it.  :)

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 06, 2009, 01:22:26 AM

Hows the project coming, PEG? 

Got a bit done this weekend , so it's going OK. Part timing it makes it sort of drag out, but the hours work out the same. it just takes longer to get the hours in.

Busy weekend!

glenn kangiser

I know that one.  Working out of town slows home projects down - speaking of which, I'm off again tomorrow. d*

Looking forward to seeing it when you finish, PEG. :)

PEG688

Quote from: glenn kangiser on September 07, 2009, 11:44:56 PM

#1:   - speaking of which, I'm off again tomorrow. d*

#2:       Looking forward to seeing it when you finish, PEG. :)

#1: Boy I wish I where off again tomorrow! Well not really , and not really what you meant either  ;)

#2:   I'll keep you in the loop!

PEG688

Little guard rail , twilight construction ::)

Better photos will be taken tomorrow.

Redoverfarm

Whats the wood, teak or redwood?  Nice job.  I am going to have to do something like that at the cabin for my Dad.  But it would probably be more rustic than that .  ;D

PEG688

Quote from: Redoverfarm on September 17, 2009, 10:20:41 PM

Whats the wood, teak or redwood? 

Western Red Cedar , 4or 5 coats of Daly's Seafin Teak oil finish .

Nice job. 

Thanks

I am going to have to do something like that at the cabin for my Dad.  But it would probably be more rustic than that .  ;D

Come on inspired by a little Greene and Greene architecture you could do more than rustic, well if you wanted to. To each there own eh ;)

PEG688

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

PEG688

Thanks Sassy.
Glenn  could whip you out a couple with his chain saw I'm sure! 

glenn kangiser

Mike 870

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free