Glenn's Underground Cabin Update

Started by glenn kangiser, January 30, 2005, 10:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

Cool project and it's work right there in the neighborhood.

Kind of nice waking up in the morning and looking out on all of your creations! God-like work if you can get it... ;)
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

It is nice, and I'm working on trying to get more work around here rather than steel in the big cities-- might even make it.

We can see the San Joaquin Valley on the other side of the underground complex.  I used to tell Sassy I liked to sit there on the top of the mountain and look down on my loyal subjects. :) [crz]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

ScottA

Glenn is that charcoal starter OSHA approved?

PEG688

Quote from: ScottA on October 18, 2008, 09:46:49 PM

Glenn is that charcoal starter OSHA approved?

When your King of your own kingdom like Glenn you seek nor need any approval  c*
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

PEG688

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I thought it was pretty good, PEG. d*

While I'm here, here is a shot of the cable and anchors on the above job (winch anchor on this end -- made from junk).  There is a pond and spring across the ravine about 100 feet behind the white pipe, where we will get the water from.

...and yes... I did hand stack about 3000 lbs of rock to hold the anchor in place on this side.

glenn kangiser

Well - it's time to trim that beard in the top picture.  The hair is growing 360 degrees around my head.  Company is coming.

Sassy told me my beard reminded her of a gray toilet seat with a face sticking out of it, so I guess I will trim it. [crz]

Yes folks, this model is available in standard or elongated. ::)

Sassy

It is amazing  ::) rofl [scared]  maybe we should submit it to the Guiness Book of World Records  ???

I actually thought it looked more like the harness around the ox's neck... 
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Whitlock

Quote from: glenn kangiser on October 18, 2008, 09:13:58 PM
It is nice, and I'm working on trying to get more work around here rather than steel in the big cities-- might even make it.

We can see the San Joaquin Valley on the other side of the underground complex.  I used to tell Sassy I liked to sit there on the top of the mountain and look down on my loyal subjects. :) [crz]

Hey Glenn I live above you and I know you won't be loyal so like I tell the wife  "$hit flows down hill" [toilet]
Make Peace With Your Past So It Won't Screw Up The Present

apaknad

OH GOD GLEN, that's a mental picture i never ever wanted. :o i need a drink now and i am getting off this computer to go watch the michigan, michigan state game.
unless we recognize who's really in charge, things aren't going to get better.

glenn kangiser

Whitlock, I'm not worried until you move into your cabin.  Currently your flow is toward Whitlock Creek. :)

glenn kangiser

Quote from: apaknad on October 25, 2008, 02:29:02 PM
OH GOD GLEN, that's a mental picture i never ever wanted. :o i need a drink now and i am getting off this computer to go watch the michigan, michigan state game.

Sorry about that Dan. It's not pretty is it? hmm
.... but then again you'll be stronger for having endured it. [crz]

...or some philosophical crap like that.... did that help, Dan? hmm ....maybe another drink to forget....

but then they say that you can never un-look at something ....it will always be there...maybe even a bad mental picture. [crz]

glenn kangiser

Started to put this in Whats for dinner but thought I better move it to here as it was likely to mess up the topic. 

So --- our special dinner guest finally arrived at the Underground Command Center.

I didn't want to say too much until I was sure things were going to work out ...and they did.  Whitlock and wife showed up for a barbecue and the mystery guest arrived on schedule as planned.

We had the ceremonial lighting of the barbecue and the mystery guest was really impressed.  I trimmed my beard so did not catch my face on fire...that's a good thing, eh? hmm

We had barbecued steak and tri-tip - what the heck is that you say? [crz]

I don't know - its some weird California name tfor some cut of the cow that comes in some kind of small roast that is pretty good barbecued over a good hot oak fire.

Here it is from Wikipedia. 

The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin primal cut.[1] It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef.

In the US

In the United States, this cut was typically used for ground beef or sliced into steaks until the late 1950s, when it became a local specialty in Santa Maria, California, rubbed with salt, pepper, and spices and cooked whole on a rotisserie or grilled. (The tri-tip is still often labeled "Santa Maria steak".) Most popular in the Central Coast region of California,[1] it has begun to enjoy increasing popularity elsewhere for its full flavor, lower fat content, and comparatively lower cost.

Sassy made lots of other good stuff to go with it - salad - toasted bread- corn- rice and more.

Oh yeah and now that other item.  Have trouble getting your input from our favorite member in the financial world? hmm.

You know -- that one with the great barbecue recipes out of Texas? 

Our good friend had to come here to see if I really was crazy...and if Sassy really was that much better looking than I was. [crz]

Know who it is?  hmm

muldoon....that's who.  We had the honor of having muldoon drop in for the weekend - at least a good portion of it. :)

Mr. and Mrs. Whitlock, muldoon and Sassy and I had a great barbecue and got a good bit of time to shoot the bull.  In the afternoon we went down to look at some of the gold mining area where I let my dogs get all wet and splash water and mud all over muldoon when they got back in the Jeep.  Luckily he's a good sport and we had a great time. :)

Whitlock

Glenn you were up at 5:30 ???
Good friends Good food what more can you ask for [cool]
Glad to have meet Muldoon wish now I would have picked his brain more d*Oh'well there is allways forum time.

Thanks form the both of us :)

glenn kangiser

Goofy cat woke me up - opened the door and went prowling around.  Shes too old and dumb to be out in the night.  At least the dogs keep the coyotes and other predators away now.  This is the wild wild west. Cat's only used to last a few days to maybe a year and a half before becoming dinner around here. 

muldoon

Thanks again for the invite up glen.  I had a great time seeing the place and goldmines in the area.  For others, I was shipped up to California for about a week and a half for work and Glen very graciosuly offered to put me up for the weekend so I could get out of the city for a little visit (personally I was very grateful for the chance to re-balance myself mentaly away from the city).  Much needed and appreciated. 

You sure have a neat place, I have been looking at these thread for nearly a year and frankly your pictures just dont do it justice, you just have to see it to believe or understand it.  I drove up this dirt road and when it petered out I looked around and didn't really see a house.  But it's there and once inside, it's just keeps going and going.  Open a door and there's a suspended bridge to another level or stairs up to the shop, or a walkway to the garden, or underground tunnel in the making to the pool area, or the woodshed and garages, it's quite simply something to see.  Sorry I kept asking about the roof, I still don't get it.  its a parabolic corkscrew?   ???  d*

Kathy - sorry we didn't get to talk much, but the gold in those hills was calling.  :)  Hopefully there will be more time next time before you have to jet off for work. 

Harry and Matt (and wife) - again - nice to meet you guys, I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your projects and hearing back with where your at over time. 

I did take a bunch of pictures, you can also watch the slideshow here

Thanks again for everything, especially the hop flowers, gonna make a "dirty ass mountain dog heffeweizen" with it. 
(gee I hope that name isnt already taken) 

glenn kangiser

Thanks for the kind words, muldoon.  Even when you can see what all of it looks like you still think of it as cool.  That is a great sense of looking at the potential of something when there is still so much to be done.  Some day I will get motivated again and even get a bit more done. 

Yes -- those are not piles of junk.  They are unnatural resources. ::)

I hope the beer turns out well.  I haven't brewed it in years but you may get me started again some day.... and no - I don't think that name has been taken and Spike would be honored to be your Mascot.  Sorry about the mud... rofl

Sometimes I don't even get the roof... but the section that twists over the 12' horizontal axis is a hyperbolic paraboloid - a name I have trouble remembering, and at the north end of it it joins the edge of a corkscrew roof where the rain water flows clockwise from top to bottom to drain to the ground.  The lower end of the corkscrew joins the north edge of the paraboloid which also drains at the same combined valley. 

There ...obviously that will clear it all up. hmm

I have currently been in a bit of a slump wanting to get some prospecting done and having to take lower paying jobs to keep things going as the bigger more generous ones peter out with the economy- so less time I feel like working between them....but I do occasionally get motivated.

muldoon, you are a true friend, a great guy, and it was an honor to have you visit the Underground Command Center.  You of course were welcome to stay as long as you wanted --

Permanent? hmm

We'll dig a hole for you.  Thanks so much for thinking enough of us to care to stop in and feel free to drop by anytime.  The rope bed under a foot and a half of dirt and horse manure is waiting for you. [crz]

ScottA

Nice photo tour muldoon. I may have to make it out there someday just so I can tell my grandkids about the real wild west. I've been to CA several times but I never saw that part of it.  :P

glenn kangiser

We like to consider this the best part.  Nice pictures of my wiring, muldoon. d*

I know how to do it right and that's all that matters. rofl

Note that all cords used in the making of those pictures are UL approved and the entire system is protected by safeguards for everything in the Trace inverters.  Overvoltage, undervoltage, shorts, overcharging, all safely shut the system down.  A fire axe is laying around somewhere for quick disconnect in emergency.  d*

We like to think this is the best part of California, Scott. :)

glenn kangiser

Note, Scott, --- I failed to mention that the bed is under the roof and the horse manure is on top of the roof in the garden... [rofl2]

akemt

Glenn, can one build an underground house in a rainforest with high watertables?  And by rainforest I mean 150-200 inches a year (we got Oregon's annual rainfall in three months this year!) and the water table roughly 6"-1' down.  Of course, we have full-on mountainside wooded lots here, which I'm hoping can help with the water issue.  Cheap is good, and I'm willing to be drastic.  Wouldn't mind people not knowing I'm building or even where my house is without being led to it.  ;)  Including the friendly government folks. 

I Love the "$50 and up underground house" book and greenhouse ideas from what I've seen so far.  I've looked over their website...I'll have to buy the book!
Catherine

Stay-at-home, homeschooling mother of 6 in "nowhere" Alaska

glenn kangiser

I'm glad you asked, Catherine.  It can be done if you take the water problem into consideration, because if there is a problem under the ground you will just do it above the ground making your own hill and garden or landscaping on top to make it disappear into your own park like setting.

If you are on the hillside I don't see water standing under the ground that close.  Maybe I'm missing something in your information though.  If it is just water flowing under the organic ground cover on top of the mineral soil , then that is common and happens here too.  I get up to 50 inches here on the mountain so am not that dry for California either.

If it is a true water table you would be able to put a pump in it and it would refill from the bottom -not surface runoff.  That would be a case for doing it above ground and berming it as well as covering it.  You need shoring lumber - 1" for a 2 foot roof span or 4' wall span.  2" (1 5/8 standard lumber) for a 3'10" (4' is close enough with beams -purlins under it) roof span or an 8' wall span.  This is assuming your soil supports itself pretty well on the walls.  If you find excessive bowing cut add a support post in the mid span.

If the above is the case you would want to make a walkway uphill with a ditch on the inside of it to drain the water away before it gets to your cabin site.  An uphill patio would take care of the rest and give you a way out of the back along with a way to get light into the cabin. 

You don't need anywhere near as many logs - just for the post, girders and purlins.  The girders are the largest at about 12" dia. while the posts can be as small as 7" and the purlins 8" dia.  Please feel free to ask more questions.

Note that the EPDM liner is the way to go for the roof membrane now.  It can even be pond liner.

Whitlock

Went to Glenn's today to lend a hand 8)

Glenn looking at one of the black helicopters or chemtrials when he should of been paying attention to the sawmill d*

Ya Right heh

glenn kangiser

They shouldn't have been distracting me.  It was the governments fault that I cut my jumper cable. [crz]