Tooling up for the job...

Started by achildofthesky, November 30, 2005, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn-k

That's kinda the way I see it.  I have most of the stuff in one form or another but don't have a wood lathe or scroll saw.  They claim most of the changes can be made in a minute or less.  The one I have is fairly ancient although they claim there are still a lot of the old ones in use.

cre90602

i just found something out at Sears .My store hase a repair center in it never mind you can buy power tools for a good discount (i have never had a problem) but if you buy cordlesss tools ther the battery packs come with a 1 year warranty instead of a 90 if you buy new from the tool dept :)

Daddymem

A couple more Amazon deals (Copy and paste titles into search, I am too lazy to clear out my cookies to link  :P ):
Porter-Cable CFBN125N 6 Gallon, 2 Nailer Combo Kit
List Price:        $454.00
Was:       $255.70
Now:       $178.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
You Save:       $275.01 (61%)
Stack with (after padding):
Special Offer: April 11, 2006, through April 25, 2006, use promotional code TWNTYFVE2BEN to get $25 off your total purchase of $199 of power tools, pneumatics, or accessories.

And

McGuire Nicholas 22054 54 Pocket Builders Bucket Pro in Red & Black plus McGuire Nicholas 3007 3 Compartment Storage Stacker in Yellow
Total List Price:   $26.98
Buy Together Today: $7.94
You Save: $19.04

And

Porter Cable CFFN250T Finish Nailer, Brad Nailer, Narrow Crown Stapler and Compressor Combo Kit
Price:        $329.00  & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Special Offer: Purchase this item from Amazon.com between April 6, 2006, and May 3, 2006, and we will e-mail you a promotional certificate for $30 between June 14, 2006, and July 12, 2006. Offer does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops. One per customer.

A lot of other deals too, just posted a couple useful ones for DIYers:
Inventory Reduction--Save up to an Additional 30%

DEWALT DC926LA Heavy Duty 9.6-Volt Compact 3/8" Adjustable Clutch Drill/Driver Kit with BONUS DW902 9.6-Volt Pivoting Head Flashlight flashlight, charger, two batteries, and carrying case for $76.99 not too shabby either.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Amanda_931

One of the nice things about deWalt is that a battery can be put on virtually any deWalt charger, no matter what tool it came with.

Mother's day is soon.  But then comes Father's Day which always features lots and lots of tool specials.

MarkAndDebbie

QuoteI stopped in a Harbor Frieght Retail Store this weekend and decided to buy this. 259.00
The sale price was 169.00. As I was waiting in line to pay, The guy in front of me said to get the 10% off coupon in the advertisement paper near the door. I did as he said and got the 10% discount! What a deal! I have been afraid of buying Chicago Brand Tools but the store said they have a 30 day money back guaranty and chicago tools has a 90 day. I figure if I get that much time out of it I will have saved myself that much money in time alone!

12'' SLIDING COMPOUND LASER GUIDE MITER SAW  

ITEM 91852-2VGA
$259.99

$179.99  
Jimmy,
How did this work for you? I just got a coupon in the mail for $149 for this saw. Did it hold up?
Thanks,
MarkAndDebbie

Jimmy_Cason

It is still going strong! The laser quit working after a month or two. It was my first harbor freight purchase. I prefer dewalt tools, but try to price one of those saws!

MarkAndDebbie

QuoteIt is still going strong! The laser quit working after a month or two. It was my first harbor freight purchase. I prefer dewalt tools, but try to price one of those saws!
Thanks. I'm off to get one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Preston

I've been pricing too and I've found a 10" DeWalt for 200, no laser however, so not as much fun...

Has anyone used any of the laser measuring tools available now?

glenn-k

Nice to see you , Jimmy.  I bought the Harbor one also.  It is working great - glad to know yours is also.  You put a lot more time on it I'm sure. :)

Jens

Just bought a radio that uses the batteries from the Ryobi kit.  Cheap (29 bucks) and it picks up stations too!  No more crappy Big Lots jukeboxes.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

I keep adding things to my Ryobi kit - and have been using them hard.  No failures.  I bought the dual charger - running it off of a 350 watt inverter in the truck.  I have 6 batteries so get through most larger tasks pretty well too.  The batteries will not charge right away if they are hot so spares are good.  At only $40 for 2 you can afford to have quite a few.  I really like the 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for steel work and just bought the 90 degree close quarter drill.  I also have the hammer drill/clutch drill.  It drills concrete great in the smaller sizes.

The impact driver is great for wood screws and small lags - to 3/8" dia.  
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

I got the cigarette lighter charger too.  I was wondering how the grinder worked.  didn't have luck with the sawzall, ran the battery down too fast.  impact and drill are awesome (and I have used DeWalt, Makita, Panasonic, and Millwakee), dust buster is ok, I wonder about the caulking gun, and the stapler.  Do your musical interests a favor though and get the radio.  Some of the other builders I've worked with have given me a hard time about the Ryobi tools saying that they are second rate and stuff.  They may not be quite as good as some of the other brands in certain places, but then I have been able to amass more job specific tools for less than them.  I have no complaints.  I wonder how the cordless laminate trimmer is.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

glenn kangiser

The grinder works great - yes - you need extra batteries with it also but really handy where you have to string power all over the job otherwise.

I was using the hammer drill today drilling holes in plywood forms - out of position and had to be careful not to let it twist my wrist.  It's pretty tough.  The vacuum is a bit weak but came wiht the set.  4 times the batteries for the price.  All of my Dewalt batteries are/were junk -- at $98 each I'll forget buying more.  Tried to buy them on a Lowes special - about half price, but it was a bait and switch -- which is a too common occurrence at Lowes.  Had a similar experience on roofing materials or OSB - -- Oh we don't price match on that.  I gave them the choice of pulling the guaranteed lowest prices signs down all over the store or giving me the guaranteed lowest price by matching Homer, as I had driven to their store instead of Homer because of the price matching and wasn't about to let them get away with false advertising at my expense.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Jens

glenn kangiser

Yes -- they got a manager over there -- when I explained that their signs were false advertising in front of the other listening customers, they gave me the price match rather than take their signs down.

PEG688

This Lazer and pole setup is nice for inside work and some limit outdoor use .

You slide it to where you want the line to be , no correcting adjusting from a base line , just put er where ya want er.  ;)

Does a horz. and a vertical line BTW.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

I was noticing that PEG - looks expensive but like a good tool.  Impressive.

PEG688

- looks expensive but like a good tool.  

Impressive.

Depends on your opinion of expensive  ;D Time is money if it speeds up accurate work it's cheap in the long run. maybe not DIY tool but hey I like to gloat now and again ;D

Most time s no one even notices , or if they do they don't say nuttin  ::) ;D

Lazer just under $200.00 , pole setup just under $200.00, as a set in a case which is large but I think the case in this case is useful , It protect the tools and keeps eventhing you need together ina easy to track / carry case . Some of the reviews complain about the case , but I like it. So $398.00  no shipping no tax direct from Lazer Jamb up in B-ham,  Wa.  near  Sassy's old stompin grounds.

And yes it is impressive  8-) Clients and crew OOOH and Ahhh over it  ;D

glenn kangiser

Quoteor if they do they don't say nuttin

That'd be me -  :-/

Unfortunately sometimes I get in late - especially lately, and just have to speed through the forums to make sure your buddy --  the one with the big tool - hasn't posted a picture of himself again, so I don't always get to acknowledge the cool things going on here or that others have taken the time to post.... but don't let that stop you -- we all appreciate it. :)

Besides -- I rattle on too much anyway. ;D

PEG688

Sometimes I wonder  ::)

And no way dude , you keep it moving when it seems totally dead 8-) On top of keepin it clean and in line , well mostly eh , we do drift a lil  :-[ ok sometimes A LOT  ;D But eh It's all good , no one gets hurt  ;)

glenn kangiser

And no way dude , you keep it moving when it seems totally dead 8-)

Now you sound like my wife. :-/

Hey - you're right.  It's all good. ;D

MarkAndDebbie

Thanks. I'm off to get one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Worked great for a while. Then the angle adjuster broke (on 90 luckily).

This may be the only time I have ever bought an extended warranty. But when I hefted it, I thought - maybe I should? It worked out this time. I have to say the exchange was painless. They didn't even ask what was broken - just asked if I wanted a new one, credit, or cash. I got a new one.

glenn-k

Great to have a no hassle warranty.  My saw has had no problems yet but I just use it occasionally.