OKLAHOMA 20X30 SINGLE STORY

Started by astidham, May 07, 2010, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astidham

Quote from: phalynx on December 23, 2012, 02:10:47 PM
If you don't mind sharing, what did the storm shelter cost and what was the cost to install?

I don't mind at all 2500.00 installed tax and all.
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

astidham

Quote from: ajbremer on December 23, 2012, 08:31:50 AM
Your place is looking great! It's nice to have some time off now isn't it? Maybe we can hook up and check out each others place while we're off?
hey Al
I'm very happy our company gives us so many days off!
unfortunately we will be away for the holiday break.
I do however want to make some time to meet up in the near future.
— Henry Ford

astidham

The Spray Foam insulation crew just got here this morning and have started spraying closed cell foam under the cabin floor!
I will add photos later. it will be nice to have floors that are room temperature.
— Henry Ford

astidham

when the installer started spraying the foam, the floor temp was 58.2 degrees.
after he sprayed, the floor temp at the exact same spot was 69.8 degrees!

— Henry Ford

dablack

WOW!  What a change.  So if you don't mind me asking.  How much a square foot and how thick is it?  Looks to be about an inch thick, so I'm thinking about $1/sqft.  Let me know if I'm low or high.  I need my upstairs and attic done. 

thanks
Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on January 12, 2013, 04:19:42 PM
WOW!  What a change.  So if you don't mind me asking.  How much a square foot and how thick is it?  Looks to be about an inch thick, so I'm thinking about $1/sqft.  Let me know if I'm low or high.  I need my upstairs and attic done. 

thanks
Austin
Austin
I had 2" sprayed in (my joist are 2x12).
they sprayed some areas a lot thicker than 2" by accident I'm sure.
the total was 1275.00
all my other estimates were 2400.00 or more for closed cell foam.
i can already tell a major difference!
— Henry Ford

dablack

Ok, good.  That is about what I'm hearing down here as well.  $1275/600 sqft is $2.125 per sq ft, but you had two inches put on so that is still about $1 per sq ft and inch thick. 

thanks
Austin

astidham

The wife and I put ceiling tiles up under the loft.
the color is copper patina.

— Henry Ford

Sassy

Love the ceiling tiles!  Wanted to do that in our cabin in the master bath as we still have the undersides of the boat docks making up the roof/ceiling.  I finally settled on the old corrugated steel panels (lots of patina) we've used in other parts of the cabin on walls...  one of these days  d*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

astidham

Quote from: Sassy on February 02, 2013, 02:01:56 PM
Love the ceiling tiles!  Wanted to do that in our cabin in the master bath as we still have the undersides of the boat docks making up the roof/ceiling.  I finally settled on the old corrugated steel panels (lots of patina) we've used in other parts of the cabin on walls...  one of these days  d*

Thanks Sassy,
we are going to finish the bathroom ceiling the same way, just a different color.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Here is the new "unfinished" deck.
took me a week to get to this point.

— Henry Ford

dablack

Looks good. 

Whats that other building in house wrap in the back ground? 

Austin

astidham

Quote from: dablack on March 18, 2013, 07:02:55 AM
Looks good. 

Whats that other building in house wrap in the back ground? 

Austin

Hey Austin,
Its a greenhouse, unfortunately I put it in the wrong place and have to move it, so I just left it in house wrapped. 
— Henry Ford

astidham

after living in the cabin a little less than a year, I have decided to install a center support because of the excessive bounce.
I found a local company that makes a timber jack that requires you to drill a hole in the post, drop the threaded end into the hole, and screw it to the top of the lumber post. it has 5" of adjustment, and is rated at  15000lbs.
I need to move some plumbing before i can finish the total install, but ~ 15' is supported, and other than the sound of foot steps, there isn't a noticeable bounce!!

— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Thanks for showing us that. not everyone is willing to talk about things that went wrong or things that did not turn out as hoped for or expected.  Thanks again.

Don
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

astidham

Quote from: MountainDon on April 14, 2013, 05:01:30 PM
Thanks for showing us that. not everyone is willing to talk about things that went wrong or things that did not turn out as hoped for or expected.  Thanks again.

Don

Don, I will soon be building an addition 20x30 on to the house for bedrooms/laundry-room, and whatever else we can fit into it.
this time around I will have a more thoughtful and experienced approach.
with the current build, I never missed an opportunity to make a bad decision....lol
— Henry Ford

dablack

That right there is why we are building the "garage house" first.  We will start off living in it and then build the two story attached.  Once we are in the two story, the garage house can become the garage with bedrooms upstairs. 

Thanks for the update.  I'm sure those things would help a bunch of people. 

Austin

OlJarhead

Can you post info on those jacks?  They look VERY handy!

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

Quote from: OlJarhead on April 17, 2013, 01:39:55 PM
Thanks!

No Problem.
these jacks are built very well, almost 10 lbs of metal in each one.
— Henry Ford

astidham

Got theacasia flooring installed in the cabin... pictures will soon follow when i figure out this tablet im using.
— Henry Ford

astidham

— Henry Ford

astidham

Had a storm move in last night.... it took my greenhouse for a ride. My daughter is standing where it was

The weather forcaster said 70 mile an hour winds. I think it might have been a microburst. The bedliner in the picture was behind the greenhouse in the same place it sits now unmoved.
— Henry Ford

rick91351

Sorry to see that but at least you guys seem to be uninjured and well.  Things could be a lot worse.....
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.