10X10 Cabin In Ontario.... The dream begins...

Started by grover2044, October 20, 2009, 08:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Happy to see that you are making good finds on windows, doors, and such.  It's a good lesson for all of us.

grover2044

Well in the past week Patty and I have been busy at the cabin. We managed to stay there from Tuesday to Sunday morning. What a feeling to actually sleep and stay in something we built. Here are a few pictures of the progress we made...

First window installed:

Patty worked on insulating and finishing the floor:

The fireplace was brought up and put in place:

We enclosed the openings temp, so we could stay:

Patty shimming up the door:

We installed some metal around the stove:

Picture from the front, with the door installed and the gable end closed in:

Reclaimed metal for the roof, it was on a historic building in our town at one point:

Installing the roof:

We managed to get the siding started:

Picture as we left for home:

Here are some pictures of the inside... We didn't work on the loft, as we concentrated on work outside, but it was cozy and with each day of work the cabin really seemed to stay warmer and warmer...

We really had a lot of fun getting the cabin this far. Hopefully some insulation inside and some more siding will get completed in the next couple of weeks.

PA-Builder

One thing for sure ... with that stove ... you won't need to worry about being cold.

Arizona Highlander

Killer job! Looks cozy and warm in there.
Great job on all the deals you find.
Gathering info here on Country Plans while in awe of other members skills.
Goal is to start a small 15x15 in the Spring of 2015.

Sassy

Nice job - really does look cozy  8)  The used tin for the roof was a great find!  I am amazed it is only 10'x10' - looks much bigger with all you've managed to put in there.  Hey, it looks like Patty was doing all the work  ;D
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

Cool job.  That metal roof is great - good stuff just like we used on our walls - except ours went through a fire.  That's all part of what makes it cool.  

I guess if it's good enough for Bass World, it's good enough for my wife... [waiting]
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Sassy

http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Jens

I think it looks awesome.  I love the siding, roofing, big woodstove in tiny cabin, metal roofing around stove, cute little vanity.  Learning a lot, and it ain't costing you much.  Cheers.
just spent a few days building a website, and didn't know that it could be so physically taxing to sit and do nothing all day!

speedfunk

Very cool siding choice.  The roof and siding look very nice together and the interior does feel pretty roomy.  Very nice job.

considerations

poppy

Really liking the low cost materials.  [cool]

I am no framing expert, but it is my understanding that the ridge board is supposed to be wide/deep enough to cover the rafter ends.  Someone else who really knows could weigh in.  ???

grover2044

Thanks all for the comments... The cabin is quite roomy and when we get the bed up in the loft and a sofa there it will be great. I still have 2 windows to install, one on the south wall, west side and a small window in the loft (which we decided on for safety in case of fire). Both windows were free...
Sassy, Patty is an awesome worker :), but she doesn't think to take pictures when we are building... I assure the forum that I have not worked her to hard and done my share lol ;)...
Poppy, I have a 2x2x10 that I am going to attach to the lower edge of the ridge board. I think that I read that some where here, so I plan on filling it in with that.

We are planning on siding the entire cabin with the cedar slab wood, as well as a lot of the wall coverings inside will be done with it as well (peeled before putting inside though).

Can't wait to get back up there and get some more done :)

grover2044

Just a $$$$ update... So far we have spent $520.00 on the cabin (not including fuel to get to and from it or beer during the building process).

Some stuff you just can't find, or get reused (tape, roof screws, nails etc...). Still not too bad though I think, but I am over budget by $20.00... shhhhh don't tell Patty lol ;).

speedfunk

Ah yes...beer..we forget that in our calculations also.  $$$$$$$$$.  No owner -builder should be without.  A good few beers at the end of the day looking back over what you just did!   8)   

Nice numbers .  Our 8x8 cabin came to 900 (without woodstove).  So looks like your on your way to beating this easily!!.  Our major expense was cedar shakes even though we used the "undercourse" type.  Did you get your log siding from a lumber mill nearby..Just curious..

Jeff

grover2044

Hey Jeff... Yes I did. The lumber mill is actually between where I live and the cabin location, so its easy to stop and pick up a truck full.

poppy

Dad

grover2044

Well its been a while since my last update, life has been busy and the weather hasnt co-operated lately with getting some work done on the cabin. We did get up there to install the chimney fascia and get some more boards on the outside.

Here is the outside...The flat board is where the porch roof will attach...

Finally found the right fascia for the stove pipe I had...

Pile of Cedar Slab wood...

2x4 pile is getting low!!!

On the gable end we will put the cedar slab wood vertically not horizontally like the rest:

I am hoping to get up there in the next week or so to get the loft sorted out. It would be nice to have that done before the winter hits us. I also have the insulation up there to do, as well as the vapor barrier... Heres hoping!!!!

poppy

Looking good.  The vertical cedar on the gables will give it a good contrast.

Now how to make that door look rustic.  ???

grover2044

Thanks guys...
Don, yes I have a storm collar, but forgot the caulking gun when we went up there  d* lol... next trip it will be installed...

Poppy, can't agree more about the door... it may get replaced with a wooden door that swings the other way, but for now that one will have to do...

Can anyone suggest how I maybe able to extend the roof over the gable ends? Seems that I miscalculated this part of the roof  d*... Or do you think it will be okay as is... ???

Thanks...

rdzone

I would extend the gable ends just to help keep the weather off the main structure.  I would basically build a ladder out of 2x lumber layed out like your rafters one for each side of your gable end.  Then nail them up (screw them or lag them) through your sheathing into the rafters, just make sure to spaced them down so you can continue your roof sheathing.

This is probably not very clear, but someone will come along and explain it better. d*

this might help

http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14044/css/14044_70.htm

Chuck

grover2044

Thanks RDzone, that actually makes perfect sense... Another thing to add to my list of things to do lol...
I appreciate the input and suggestion.
Back to the drawing board ;)

considerations

grover2044

Hi all.. Its been a while since I updated this site, but I have been updating our blog... you can find it at http://pattyandronsblog.blogspot.com/.

Thanks,
Ron

MountainDon

I know it is way too late in the process for this to make any difference, but was there a reason you did not use a weather resistive barrier between the log slab siding and the OSB? It seems that water will find its way behind the log slabs to some degree at least.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.