Victoria Plans

Started by archimedes, February 23, 2011, 01:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Raabe

The photo showing the loft with the wood interior is using the truss roof structure not rafters and collar ties.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Don_P

R802.10 Wood trusses.

R802.10.1 Truss design drawings. Truss design drawings, prepared in conformance to Section R802.10.1, shall be provided to the building official and approved prior to installation. Truss design drawings shall include, at a minimum, the information specified below. Truss design drawing shall be provided with the shipment of trusses delivered to the jobsite.
1. Slope or depth, span and spacing.
2. Location of all joints.
3. Required bearing widths.
4. Design loads as applicable.
4.1. Top chord live load (as determined from Section R301.6).
4.2. Top chord dead load. 4.3. Bottom chord live load. 4.4. Bottom chord dead load.
4.5. Concentrated loads and their points of application.
4.6. Controlling wind and earthquake loads.
5. Adjustments to lumber and joint connector design values for conditions of use.
6. Each reaction force and direction.
7. Joint connector type and description (e.g., size, thickness or gage) and the dimensioned location of each joint connector except where symmetrically located relative to the joint interface.
8. Lumber size, species and grade for each member.
9. Connection requirements for:
9.1. Truss to girder-truss.
9.2. Truss ply-to-ply.
9.3. Field splices.
10. Calculated deflection ratio and/or maximum description for live and total load.
11. Maximum axial compression forces in the truss members to enable the building designer to design the size, connections and anchorage of the permanent continuous lateral bracing. Forces shall be shown on the truss design drawing or on supplemental documents.
12. Required permanent truss member bracing location

John Raabe

I want to be clear to everyone on this board and anyone who buys my plans... I am not an engineer and my drawings (including the truss diagrams in the 1-1/2 story cottage plans) are not engineered or stamped - they are not going to provide the engineering information Don_P is quoting above. No stock plan will.

My non-engineered truss diagram, included in the plans, is for a sturdy site built truss using standard lumber, plywood gusset plates, construction adhesives and nails. It is there to provide guidance for folks who are in non-code areas or in locations where a truss truck can not make delivery. It has not been specifically engineered for your specific loads. That said, this truss has been built in lots of climates and is holding up very well. But, you will likely farm out this work to others as they can build and deliver a lighter, and more code friendly product to the top of your house. It might even be cheaper than building it yourself.

In most areas the owner or builder simply sends over the truss configuration diagram to the truss company (or to the lumber yard) and the truss company engineer, using a computer program, designs the truss, documents it to local code standards and puts specs and calculations on the truck for delivery to the site and the site inspector.

No owner builder is going to have to learn how to do all these calculations.

John Raabe

You can find old plans with site built trusses that were standard issue by Ag Extension offices to help builders and farmers build things before there were computer engineering programs and code required specifications. Many of these old buildings and trusses are still in service all over America.

Here is one example: http://bioengr.ag.utk.edu/extension/extpubs/PlanList97.htm#Roof%20Framing%20and%20Truss%20Plans

Don_P

Can you point me to that truss configuration John?

John Raabe

It is not posted on the website Don, but is part of the plans. If you want to give me an email I can send you the diagram. john@countryplans.com