Quite a build

Started by Don_P, April 01, 2013, 04:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgramann

MountainDon

I am totally dumbfounded!   If you went out of your way to plan a really poor build you would likely build better than this.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

If we used this as a guage. :P  Can We. Can We.  If so I have been promoted to Master Carpenter. ;)

Ernest T. Bass

As hilarious as it is, I actually feel kinda bad for him.. Though, I feel worse for the lumber he is using.. :)

Our family's homestead adventure blog; sharing the goodness and fun!

Abbey

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Squirl

He even skipped the step of trying to copy a picture he saw on the internet.  Just plain amazing.  What a waste of materials and money.

bayview

Whoa !!!   Wait a minute . . .    Careful . . .     No negative comments please.   

With a little "tweaking" this will be a quality, professional build.   

I'm sure that he will address any concerns before it is completely finished.

With the proper partitions, this could become a luxury condo for 4-5 immigrant families. . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

hpinson

That is a house in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, built by Amrep in the 1970's.  MountainDon will know what I'm talking about.

Did anyone catch the timelapse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6T_XXh1WaG0#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rKtxxZ8qB0A

hpinson

I was thinking about this over the last few hours-- this seems funny and easy to dismiss in 2013, as a first world citizen, living under first world, beholding to building code. Then I think back to my first tree fort, and then to visits to shanty towns outside of the US - Haiti for instance.

For many, you build with what you have and with the skills you have. 

Code forces us to better ourselves. It's easy to forget that.  This is how a lot of people build-- they just do it; build what and as needed. It's a functional short term structure. Something to be said for that, and in a way I wish we still had this liberty.  I hope this guy does not get turned in, and maybe learns something from the experience.

Hope this gets moved to the General Forum.

Abbey

hpinson,

I can agree with you to a certain respect, but given the advent of the internet and the wealth of free information, this site for instance, that is out there it's difficult to understand why someone would just build like this without even attempting to educate himself regarding building practices. Had he spent the winter researching he could have built a much better structure that would last far longer and be safer. I understand language is probably a barrier, but there are some pretty good translators out there that he could have bought.

This is why so many people, myself included, have joined this forum, we want to educate ourselves and build the best homes possible.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is...

UK4X4

mmmm I think I built a safer fort when I was 6 including a earthern roof  with camoflage

Thought processes have surely not been involved at all

A complete waste of good materials

John Raabe

Wow!

As Don said, you have to work to build a less sturdy house. With that pile of pretty good materials a reasonable small house could have been built by anyone in the slums of India, Haiti, or Africa.

I mean, laying the 2x4 roof rafters flat so that the strength is reduced to that of a 2x2 - that's pure genius.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Abbey

They're easier to nail laid flat like that...

hpinson

For sure... I just find it interesting for other reasons. It is rather typical of 3rd world edge cities. Even if you walk through the backwoods of northwest New Mexico, you see ruins of this sort of construction everywhere.