Our Tiny (10 x 12) Cabin

Started by Gary O, July 31, 2011, 09:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick91351

Wow Gray I missed your posting from January 21.  Was about to set out on a drive to go and find you.....  Thought you and the your lady might be stuck in a snow drift.  :D

Glad to see you are wintering well in the cabin....  Does not look like you are getting much wind,  that is a good thing.   [cool]  I mean really  [cool]

Great bird photos....  well really great photos.....  Thanks for the up date.....

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Yeah, this bein' our first winter here has been an education.
Supposin' this winter is typical, little wind.
There've been warnings and alerts in the forecasts, but we're kinda tucked in here, and the wind seems to blow over the top of us.
Heh, when it does blow, well, wind at even 20°F will rip yer face off.

Seems the winds do come, but late spring and early fall for the most part.

The temps reached down deep to -30° F for a day or two, and stayed low for a couple weeks.

Thought we'd be in for a l-o-n-g winter, but seems the 20s and into the 30s is the norm for highs (rather comfy after a cold snap).
The pump hut was an initial huge concern, but that little buddy heater is doin' its job (an expense I'm very willing to afford). 

If all holds, I think we've got this

Love ya, man
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

Gary O

Quote from: OlJarhead on November 30, 2015, 12:02:40 PM
So that Ryobi Genny didn't work out?  No warranty for it?

It's been in Phoenix for eight weeks now.
'They're in the process of deciding whether to replace it or repair it'

On the other hand, my baby EUi gets fixed locally (just another quality perk not initially seen when pricing)

Adam Roby

You are truly inspiring Sir...  glad to see the new year is treating you well. 

OlJarhead

Gary O

Thanks, guys.

I really don't know why I haven't camped on this here forum.

I could claim 'busy', but nights are rather open.

Now to cruise thru other threads...

Redoverfarm

Gary it sounds as if you are wintering well.  Have you any means to plow yourself out if the need arises.  I am forced to plow my self out or should I say plow my wife out.   ;)  She is still gainfully employed which means I have to keep her traveling at least for the next couple years.  As for me I would just as soon stay in and work on inside projects.  But then I think what if something were to happen ( besides additional snow accumulation) to where I would have to get out or someone in .  Well stay warm and dry.  Nice pics by the way.

Gary O

Good question

We have this ol' boy down the path with a medium sized tractor and blower.
He seems to love clearing the country lanes here, and I love for him to do it.
We all pay him X amount per trip, and I settle with him at the first of every month, plus an extra X (for favoritism).
Not good to rely on others, but no choice this year.
Will be shopping for a walk behind blower next fall.
There's some kids (twenty somethings) that play around with a quad and blade, but I had to get it unstuck with my Wrangler (high centered), and it tears up the path a bit (kids)

One day I'll have a tractor, but this w/be the summer of the shop, the porch, the deck between cabins, the green house, and a few other things that'll keep me cash poor....like a Stihl or Husqy chain saw.

Man, it got to 50+ today.
T-shirt weather.
I know its early, but gettin' the itch to do things other than haul water, bring in wood, shovel snow and pick ice, and burn what we ate three days ago...

Gary O

Quote from: Gary O on February 07, 2016, 09:57:33 AM
It's been in Phoenix for eight weeks now.
'They're in the process of deciding whether to replace it or repair it'

On the other hand, my baby EUi gets fixed locally (just another quality perk not initially seen when pricing)

Update;
I'd been patient (enough)
Sent this to HD two days ago, since it was so handy on their site

Hi there
Returned our Ryobi 2200 inverter/generator 12/7
Haven't got it back yet
Here's some brief history;

Early Dec
Ryobi genny craps out on me, take it in to HD for warranty repair

Early Jan
Called HD for status
'It's in Phoenix for evaluation'

Mid Jan
Called HD for status
'Been there a while now'
'yeah, sorry'

Late Jan
In town, stopped at HD for status
'thanks, say, it's been in evaluation for several weeks, is there a chance you could call down there?'
Called
'It's under evaluation for repair or replacement'

Early Feb
Can no longer recall if I called, or was called
'it's been shipped back to Klamath Falls'
'wonderful, was it repaired'
'well, the report doesn't show any details'
'OK, well, is there a chance you could call down there for details?'
Calling
'it's been shipped back to Klamath Falls'
'yes.....I know, what about details, like what did they do to fix it, or did they just throw up their hands and send it back?'
'well, sir, it's a safe assumption that it's been repaired'
'OK, when does it show to be due your dock'
'we do not have that information, but it'll be just a few days and we'll call you when it arrives'

Heh, got a message on my phone;
'it's been shipped back to Klamath Falls'....

Here's the deal;
Your customer service staff at Klamath Falls are all well trained in cordiality. And that's quite remarkable, since they are working within a challenging system.
Folks like me tend to lose confidence when not getting answers after, oh, saaaaaay.... a winter.
I do like HD prices, but customer service is big.
I'm a sucker for it.
Thinking I'm gonna shop next door at Coastal for all my equipment needs.
Yeah, their prices a bit higher, but I'm very very willing to shell out a few bucks more for service...local service.

And as far as your Phoenix operation? I suggest you show 'em that little motto of yours.... 'Let's Do This'...maybe it'll sink in.

It would be nice to think your upper echelon folks, corporate deciders would get together to see what can be done in regards to shipping info (tracking numbers) and actual product status.
I know it can be done
I used to do it.
All the time.
World wide.

Have a nice day

Gary O'

Got a call from the local operations manager today
Getting a brand new (off the shelf) unit
Heh, since he was so apologetic an all, I almost asked if he'd trot over to Coastal and get me another Honda instead....

Anyway, got a (pretty) good backup for when I get baby EUI serviced

Redoverfarm

Gary I feel your pain and frustration.  2nd complete generator and working on a resolution with Generac on the replacement motor for the second one.  Their customer service was good to begin with but has went down hill since.  I think the biggest problem is they don't have a solution for this particular model.  They have been having problems with it and have yet to come up with a working solution.  Right now it has been nearly 60 days since I filed a claim.  I will fire another E-mail shortly to inquire but right now you can't even get to the cabin .  So as they say " be patient my son" ;D

rick91351

Good news - but I still hate HD.  Was there yesterday because needed a cheap piece of fired tile to make something.  It is going to get cut up - just a 12 X12 tile that is all I wanted.  Several in the 89 cent special close-out - clearance tile bin.  None of which have a skew.  I may not know much about big box marketing but the first thing on me list is thou shalt never take something to a till without a skew. It will shut down the one of twenty three tills they have maned. The seven to ten people standing in line will blame you. 

I asked a friendly knowledgeable store associate if they could assist me in this.  Now granted they were not from that department.  I knew I was taking a chance.  I explain I would like to purchase this piece of tile.  However it does not have a skew.....  So we walk clear back over where the tile department is.  I show the associate the bin I fetched it from......  They look at me and say well some one opened a box.  A there is several pieces of tile stacked there.  I explain that is correct - they are usually the returns and the ones from when people only need say like six or four or one.... You never have to buy a whole box it is sold by the sq ft.  The associate is now looking at me like do you make this up as you go don't you......

Their attention quickly diverts and centers around the bin that held the 16X16 same pattern but is empty - I pry their eyes away from there and back to the 12X12 bin. They read the tab and start copying down all this info and I am thinking they are going to walk me up to a service desk and explain.  The next problem for this knowledgeably knowledge associate is figuring out how many sq ft in one 12 inch x 12 inch piece of tile.  Hey I am not making this up.  Really a 12 x 12 is one sq ft.  The associate is again looking at me like do you make this up as you go right? 

I just shake my head and put the tile down and tell the person thanks but all I need is one 89 cent piece of tile. I will run over to Lowes.....  I really do not have all day.....  Now lets all sing I hate Lowes.....  I find the cheep tile bin - WOW it has a skew!!!  So I walk over to the aisles where they in the start of heating season have all their stoves and stove supplies....  A knowledgeable associate walks up to me..... may I help you....  I knew he could not because all that stuff was now gone but they had a huge display of patio tables and BBQ's.  Wood stove glass cleaner and might you have some a tub of furnace cement or hearth mortar.   Oh heck no we packed all that up a couple weeks ago.  Like I was supposed to run over and admire his patio sets and BBQs.... I did not.... Then he says your just going to have to wait until next fall.  Well I did not have time for that. I cant give HD all afternoon doubt I will give Lowes 7 months.......   ;) 

Really do people really 'trade' in those places?  I so like my lumber yard and its hardware store.  I walk in say Hi someone takes my order or listens to my ideas for what I think I might want.  They know I'm Rick and they know I live at Prairie and they wonder about the drive in and out and ...... seen any elk or big deer or wolves or been fishing?   They disappear and the owner and I talk. The stuff shows up on the counter.  No that aint it we wonder back in to the plumbing stuff I think I need this and the knowledge associate say no if you do do that it will not work because of.......  But we can do this.....  Its all over that quick.  If there is no skew that is okay they know where to find it.  And seasonal products are available year around....  But they don't sell tile...... and they are closed on Sundays.....  Novel old fashioned thing closed on Sundays.....  I can order stuff from their suppler 24 / 7 from home shipped to their store.  Drop in - grab a cup of coffee and look around......  load up see you in a few..... drive off....  get the bill in the mail from them once a month if you are a trusted customer all in home no credit fees or interest....  I pay bills once a month ..... no bill from them..... I call them up talk to the book keeper (owners wife)  Hey never got a billing from you guys..... Oh you only owe like $50 so I never sent it out - will catch you latter when you get some more on it......  Next month $366 something..... and the like $50.  To me that is the way to run a business.........
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Well, there are folks in the big box stores that can and will do things.
Got an email from the K Falls OP;

Gary,
Once again let me apologize for having to wait for so long to have your generator shipped back. We are going to go ahead and return the unit you had shipped out for repair on order number 171446 and get you a brand new one off the shelf. I have cc'd every manager in our building so that when you come in they are all in the loop. Thank you for your business we really do appreciate it. Have a great day.
Russell

Funny thing, we arrived at HD the next day.

'Hi. We're here to pick up the warranty replacement for the Ryobi unit we brought in back on Dec 7...here's the paperwork.'

'Do you have the original receipt?'

'No, but here's the warranty paperwork you guys said to bring with me'

'Well, I need to know what you paid'

'trick question; why?'

'because the screen needs this info'

'let me get this straight. If you punch in saaaay $599 we can move forward?'
'Where's Russell? He said he'd be here.'

'he's not available, just a minute'

I believe the much used 'just a minute' tactic is employed when folks like me begin to show signs of agitation...like the steam coming outta my ears.

She got Dave
Dave hit three keys
We're on our way

I like Dave

Home Dopey? Not so much.

New HD motto 'Let's Do Them'

Gary O

two months to 67
hehh, sixty-seven
couple candle laden cakes from starin' at 70
remember back in the year '67
laughed our hind ends off at thinking we'd even make it to 2000
didn't care

now?

Now I care

Kinda

Winter here at the cabin consists of haulin' a toboggan full of water jugs from the well a hundred or so paces at the south end of the property, bringing wood in (thankful we chopped/split what we did, when we did), shovelling snow, chipping ice, and burning poop.

And taking pics
Concentrating on the local birds now
The juncos come in flocks, ground feeders
The jays come and survey, peck at the ground, never quite grasping the suet cage theory. Great personalities, these birds. They often cock their heads in what seems WTF moments.
The nutcrackers have all but taken over the suet bricks.
The chickadees and nuthatches (my favs) get the droppings, but have their main course on the brick in early morn and evening.

Nutcrackers are not early risers

The shyest, so far, are the two varied thrushes.
I'll get a good pic one day, but only by chance.

The crows have disappeared for the winter, seems.
I miss their incredulous caws.
One day last summer, a flock of maybe a hundred or so flew low overhead. A great slow flap flapping sound.

Incredible.

Stopped me from roofing for awhile.

This, this retirement gig is as much or more than I'd hoped.
Happy for that.
Sad for folks that live in town.
This cabin living thing is about getting back in shape.
Not trying, really.
Its just what happens here.

Heh, after losing 50 lbs, I discovered a bit of sinew, in places.
The other thing is hangy skin.
Not in the places I imagined.
My gut is tight.

But

the underside of my arms are, well....
Scared myself a couple times while splitting wood with my shirt off last summer.
Glanced admiringly at my arm while raising up the maul.
Immediately became horrified, seeing what appeared that my scrotum had somehow flopped up onto my bicep.

Oh well
Way it is now

The kiddies that come visit in summer still seem to admire this grizzled ol' coot. And my lady does too..of which, that's all I ask.

The deer have gone to the valley for the season
I'd fancied setting out salt licks upon their return in preparation for fall diners
But

Can't

Oh, I'll still shoot 'em
But with my Nikon

Yeah, all settled in to this way of living
Can't imagine any other way now

I'll die here

But for now

Got a whole lotta livin' to do

Oh, one more little guy enjoying the suet
.....we call him 'Nutzy'

cheers

Redoverfarm

Can't find the LIKE button so  [cool]  it is.

rick91351

Gary can I borrow a cup full of

Yeah, all settled in to this way of living
Can't imagine any other way now

I'll die here

But for now

Got a whole lotta livin' to do

Really it is about the best Gary O I have ever read.......

I would like to keep it in a jar and store it in the pantry.  And when I loose sight of where I am, who I am and where I came from to get here.  (More that one miserable all night trip......)  I might open it up - let it out to remind me......  Or I might toss it on or pour it over my 'kin' when they tell me I am suppose to give them a spot to vacation - or to live.  ;D

Gary O

Thanks guys, but y'all got nuthin' ta say.
I cruise yer threads, y'all got it goin' on.
Just glad to flavor this site some with a little O' spice.

Anyway, I'm getting' antsy for a quick spring thaw.

Keep a fire

Gary O'

OlJarhead

Gary O

Geeez, time flies

Easter;

Company from down the path
Husband
Wife
Three half grown kids.
Small cabin.
We never seem to lack for company (sheeeesh), so we diligently provide as much tepid coffee as they can stand, huddled snugly together while telling amazing tales of our cabin adventures, horrible old folk's breath searing their nostrils, bringing tears to their eyes, til they go away.

Funny/tragic thing;
They brought over their pet rabbit for us to skin.
On Easter, no less.
All three kids were bawling their guts out.
Actually, it was still alive (he later shot it here).
It was a biter (everything and everybody).
It had to go.
It was the kid's idea to off it.
So, they're all saying g'bye, crying, weeping, gnashing teeth, petting, biting....fun times.
Weird duck I am.....had a hard time keeping from laughing.
Amidst the gutting process, many demented jokes popped into this odd head of mine and promptly blurted into fruition.....bodiless rabbit head on the chopping block; 'just a little off the top'.....waving with pawless arms; 'bye kids'.....clapping stumps; 'if yer happy and you know it, clap yer hands'.....squeezing the little rabbit mouth; 'I-I-I-I-I, ain't got n-o-o-o body'.....

Nobody laughed..'cept me.

Anyway, they eventually got over it, and seemed content with having the feet and tail as keepsakes......kids are weird too.

Back from lala land; my mind is trying to fixate on electricity, searching for simple solutions to powering my shop.
For me, building the shop is not the daunting thing.
Running wire thru it that will conduct many volts and watts and amps and ohms (and other mind boggling zippy things with magical names of burnt fingered pioneering scientists) to tools that go 'whirrrr' without causing it to catch fire, sends this mind into a tourette filled dithering conniption.

And solar, well, folks have donated their valuable time and knowledge, trying in vain to pierce this impenetrable noggin in regard to the basic logic of converting watts to volts or volts to watts (why this conversion needs to be done, I'll never know).
These well-meaning folks do not realize my skull is made of some sorta kryptonite/concrete substance of which creates a delicate complimentary protective covering to the mush like oatmeal matter of its contents, making it improbable to ever ever come to a semblance of grasping the complexities of say-y-y-y long division, especially if distractions like shiny things are near at hand.

No, I need illustration, live illustration; 'put this dealybob here, then connect this doohicky to this thingamajig. Now you are ready to convert to......Gary.....Gary.....over here. Ah, fer crap sake.....fire.......you just need fire for light and warmth....no, yer kind does not need nor can ever have power in the form of, say, electricity' (all the while hurriedly packing their tools, jumping in their rig, pealing gravel, their truck getting smaller and smaller into the distance until it's out of sight)

Anyway, it'll be an adventure.
And I travel into this unknown realm with the full knowledge that the 'gzzzt' sound coupled with a burning sensation to the fingertips and toes is not a good one.

Tallyho!

Gary O

Doing the 'foundation' of the shop.
Low work.
Hate low work.
I tend to remain in an upside down L for several minutes after attempting to unbend.
I've found numerous small odd things in the ground whilst traveling to the tool crib in this position.
Happily I can just plop in the camp chair without unbending.

The deer are back from Christmas valley.
Quite tame.
I hafta waive my arms and run at 'em like a huge bird to get 'em away from the garden.
Sometimes they just stand there and look at me like 'what...the...heck is wrong with him?', then resume to mosey around nibbling.
Anyway, waiting for the rest of our metal roofing to come in.
Did the two bump outs of the main cabin.

Not giddy about the outcome but not unhappy either.
Gonna rain next few days. Proof in the pudding.

The shop;
All angles w/be 45°, roof and all.
Very smug about this decision.
The miter saw is happy about it too.
It'll be a tiny shop with hobbit like features.
Sometime later this summer I'll add a bump out utility on the back (tub, sink, stove), and a carport affair to the front.
Hopefully we can squeeze in time to lay the deck tween the cabins and add a porch to the second cabin.....and chop/stack wood before we are knee deep in the white stuff.

Anyway, finished the floor and ready to frame the shop.

In some circles, doing a jig on the floor after completion is the expected practice;

I'll post pics in the coming weeks.

Y'all keep a fire.

Gary O

We finished the shop sub roof/ceiling.

As mentioned, everything with an angle is 45°.
Very happy with this decision.
The roof slope is severe enough to slough off snow accumulation yet not so steep it dictates a high peak or short walls.
And there is no mystery, no calculation as to what setting on the miter saw.
I don't know about you guys, but when I design a building, I pencil in basic structure only, and even that is subject to change.
And the change I see now is more windows.
I'd envisioned hanging hand tools on the walls.
I mean, if this shop was in town I'd be hanging tools in place of seeing the back of the neighbor's garage.
But
Here?
Once the roof came together, and the sun streamed thru the shop,
well,
no decision.
Windows both sides.
All the way
Tools be damned.
They can go in drawers.
I'm gonna see the sights of this natural surrounding while I whittle away,
Spring
Summer
Fall
Winter.
And
It's a natural light...the best.

Oh, sure, I'll put a triangle window at each end of the peak, and large, hinged windows under them. That's a duh decision.

But

The windows along the walls,
well,
it screams so loud I can do no other...

y'know, folks can buy many fancy things
expensive things
rare things
but you know what's the rarest and most prized of them all?
The thing that comes from your own hands.

You all know this

Yer handy men

I'm not so 'handy'

But

I do know satisfaction

...and beauty

It's why I'm here

how y'all doin'?

....where's Rick?

Redoverfarm

Be careful Gary you will talk yourself into it being a living space and have to find your tools in a 5 gallon bucket hidden in a corner. ;)

Gary O

THAT! sir John, is a strong possibility.

Akshly, it's a model of sorts for the house (larger cabin).
Gonna build sumpm with a wrap around deck, many windows, nearer the meadow.

azgreg

Gary O

Thanks, guys.
The forecast shows rain in two days.
That gives me tomorrow.
Laid the underlayment and almost finished one side of felt.

Still gotta finish the felt, then the metal.
But first, gotta cut it to size....hate that.
Gotta wear a heavy coat and cover my head, then reverse the blade on the table saw and commence to butcher thin metal.

Spent (wasted) most of today erecting a sure/steady set of scaffolding (bound to the 4xs) to keep this wrinkly hind end on the roof all day tomorrow.

If you don't hear from me Thursday, then my engineering endeavor failed....