Small cabin plans Structrual engineer stamps

Started by Hunterscabin, July 22, 2015, 09:09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunterscabin

Has anyone suggestions on finding small cabin plans ( 12 x 15, 12 x 20) that have an engineers stamp?
In Colorado, and just starting this process. Trying to stay legal and jump through the hoops.
Seems like everyone has larger home plans. Not so much for cabin w/ the stsmp
Everyone have a good day

Don_P

Engineers and architects are registered on a state by state basis rather than their license being recognized nationally, the same as my contractors license for that matter. So unless the RDP (registered design professional, archie or eng) is holding multiple licenses the person stamping the drawing is usually local.

Very near the beginning of most codebooks is a section saying that you may use the provisions of the code without an RDP, only those portions of the build that step outside of those prescriptions needs to be engineered. Some jurisdictions have omitted that section though.

Do you know that you need stamped plans, and, is there anything that you plan on doing that is outside of code methods? In other words, are you simply in need of code compliant plans. If so, usually anyone can draw them. Buyer beware, get it in writing from the seller that the plans are, or will be modified, to pass your state code.

This sounds like a small simple project. If you do have to get it stamped, one way might be to call a few local firms and see if they have an engineer intern that needs a good beginner project.

UK4X4

On my build in CO- Mesa county, they first said soil inspection and dwgs only which I sent along with the load calcs I'd done

But due to the location- side of mountain....and 90# snow load they wanted the foundation and structure signed off as well,
I used trusses which come engineered.

The engineer redlined a few things on the foundation and we had discussions on the type of backfill, the structure he just signed off with no changes- which made me proud !

The sign off costs were not that high as I had done all the dwgs- most expencive part was the travel costs from Denver to Grand Mesa for the 2 inspections for the foundation !

Will your cabin be full time living - or could it be an agricultural building ? shed ......

Mine was a residential plot so anything built came under the building codes

My foundation was a major expence, due to the site, there were many discussions with other local builders, the soil engineer and the structural guy.

So far I'm the first guy on my hill to not have had any foundation issues in the first three years.........so my investment has so far paid off, but it was a painfull hit so early on in the project.

Its probably worth doing some sketches of what you think you'll build and passing by the permit office for a chat, you may be surprised ----if its a weekend camping type of thing- a storage shed might be an optional description.....

NathanS

Talk to your local inspector before you sweat this too much.. in my area of upstate NY the inspectors will generally work with you even if you're supposed to have a stamp. A code officer for a township, and another inspector for a different county, told me that the 2-story country plans design I described wouldn't need to be stamped, even though the building application says it needs an engineers stamp.

Hunterscabin

All great ideas, Thank You very Much.
Don_P Love the intern Idea.
UK4X4 / NathanS - My thought exactly about hitting the building inspector up. Everyone tells a story of them being easy to work with. My hope was to ease in, boots up on the table and then "Tell me the skinny here".
I hope it is a matter of getting my face in the door, my ideas laid out for them and go from there.
My first thought about "structural stamp for 12 X 15 was "You gotta be kidding"
But, Iam trying to play nice here
Everyone have a great weekend, Thanks