workshop on skids? cost?

Started by umtallguy, March 13, 2011, 11:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

umtallguy

What everyone's opinion?

thinking of building a 16*30 or so workshop on skids.

Probably place semi permanently on sono-tubes (located in Central Maine, so blocks would not do very well)

Looking at shed sellers they seem to sell similar for 5-7k so I am guessing I could maybe build one for about 5K, plus more for insulation?

Maybe go to a single story 20x30 design from here, but am think movable at the moment depending on cost guesses (few windows,etc)

considerations

Maybe really big steel skids?  Like the beams under a flat semi trailer?  I think even w/steel you might experience some flex with a 16 x 30.  The beams under a semi trailer are cambered to manage the weight w/out failure.  Have you considered a modular design?

backattheshack

my building is 14 x 32 with five 4 x6 skids under it have moved it three times no problem...i paid 5 grand for mine in 06 well built by the menonites.and they delivered and leveld it

umtallguy

hmm this may be evolving into a full up 20*40 house  ;D we shall see, I need to play with designs and do lots more math.

I dont like the 20*30 plans separated plumbing, and having plumbing in exterior walls...

hmmm to sketchup I shall go