Insulation survey

Started by John Raabe, December 17, 2009, 01:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_P

Speaking of foam, not sure if this has been posted yet. Wrap and strap;
http://sustainable.cchrc.org/docs/REMOTE_Manual.pdf

JRR

Interesting, Don_P.

I wonder if a full masonry wall wouldn't work well with this exterior wrap scheme?  Would definitely move the condensation plane outside the masonry, into the insulation ... I would think.

eggman

Redoverfarm

I have thought about this several times and just failed to throw it out to get some intake.  Closed cell spray foam to the rafter bays.  For those who are doing asphalt shingles would this not cause a problem with heat buildup and longevity of the shingles.  Metal roof not much of a problem but in my mind I think shingles would be a different story.

KWillets

When insulating against the roof deck, shingles have to be a type that allows hot roof installation if you want to keep the warranty, or you may be able to use vent chutes. 

eggman

Quote from: KWillets on February 19, 2010, 12:27:33 AM
When insulating against the roof deck, shingles have to be a type that allows hot roof installation if you want to keep the warranty, or you may be able to use vent chutes. 

I'm thinking of keeping the vent as well. I have a new metal roof on top of 1x6 RS board. I wish they made long chutes.

river place

Prior to building our small home/cabin I'm building a guest area in one end of out barn.  The 10x30 area has a den, shower room and toilet room.

To insulate we applied 1/2 foam sheets to the horizontal boards of the barn to reduce the heat transfer to the interior in the summer.  The foam sheets where sealed at the ends with spray foam from the small cans.

The entire guest area is framed with 2x4s on 16in centers and we added foam to the exterior side of the framing prior to adding 7/16 OSB.  I now will be installing fiberglass bats with paper vapor retarder to the stud wall.

I thought about a plastic vapor barrier before putting up sheet rock but now think that I will rely on the paper.

My brother inlaw asked it I planned on heating it with a match because of my use of foam sheets.

eggman

Just got a spray foam quote back. It looks like they didn't deduct the window and fireplace sqf wall space. Does that make sense?

Also, does anyone know how to prep for spray foam install? Tape up elec boxes etc??

pagan

You just don't want a lot of dirt or crud in the wall cavity, other than that there really isn't any prep stuff, like taping around windows or electrical boxes etc. There's quite a bit of control with the spray gun.