SardonicSmile's 20x30' 1/2 Cottage Home (with costs)

Started by SardonicSmile, November 17, 2009, 12:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallas2build

Quote from: SardonicSmile on June 22, 2010, 08:38:57 PM
Quote from: burr on June 21, 2010, 09:32:59 AM
10/12 pitch ?  loft/upstairs looks roomy, stairs turned out real nice.

12/12. The stairs are nice but they are unfortunately not code ; ( Gonna take some work to make the inspector OK it.

Looking great Sardonic!  I am very impressed with your progress.  Could I get you to post all the measurements on your stairs as they are in the pics.  Rise, tread depth along with the length and width.  I am building in an area with no inspections so I can build however I want.  Your stairs look compact, yet still very manageable and safe.  I keep trying to figure how much space I am going to have to commit to stairs and your measurements would help me greatly.

That's a beautiful place you have there.  What do you have planned in the way of porches? 

SardonicSmile

Quote from: Dallas2build on June 23, 2010, 12:42:05 PM

Looking great Sardonic!  I am very impressed with your progress.  Could I get you to post all the measurements on your stairs as they are in the pics.  Rise, tread depth along with the length and width.  I am building in an area with no inspections so I can build however I want.  Your stairs look compact, yet still very manageable and safe.  I keep trying to figure how much space I am going to have to commit to stairs and your measurements would help me greatly.

That's a beautiful place you have there.  What do you have planned in the way of porches? 

I can do that, though it may take a few days. The stairs are supposedly unsafe where you round the corner, because when you grab the railing it's natural to step inwards and it's so narrow there. I'm getting rid of that narrow spot by adding a fancy 6x6 ballaster. I'll have three ballasters total so it will look okay.

Front door:  just going to have a half-moon step for now, and I'll eventually pour more concrete for a small stoop.

Back door: going to have a 20x30 privacy fence in the back, connected to the house. There will be a 300 sq ft slab at the door.

I really hate the idea of wood decks.. they wear out too fast.

desimulacra

Quote from: SardonicSmile on December 20, 2009, 06:36:19 PM
So I don't know what I was thinking when I asked about 2x10's. I just remembered that I'm getting trusses made. I won't have to worry about it. The truss guy said they will be 24' OC.. I am kind of worried about that. He says it is code and it will be plenty strong enough, though.

The dormer will be 12'. Should look about like this:

Hey SS do you have a link to anymore info on the house you had this picture of?
West Tennessee

SardonicSmile

I got that picture from the "Gallery" on the home page.

For future reference.. this is what my interior will look like. White concrete floors and light neutral walls. Light colored rooms seem to put me in a cheerful mood.

SardonicSmile

Siding is done and drywall is being sanded.. coming along quickly! I'll be up to about 35,000 when drywall is done. Central air was $5,000  d*

Front

Back

One of the upstairs rooms. Just barely able to fit a small return-line for the air, coming up inside the 2x6 wall.

Picked this up today. Ruger SP101 .357Mag.

ben2go

Quote from: Pilgrim on May 11, 2010, 01:38:49 PM
Hey SardonicSmile!  I've been registered here, but mostly lurking for a good while.  Your project is looking good. I like seeing what local people are doing--anything in Upstate South Carolina.

Pilgrim
Inman, SC

I am also in Inman and roughly 2 hours from the town of Greenwood.

SardonicSmile the house is coming along nicely.

poppy

You gotta like the Ruger SP.  I also have the 2" barrel version and have been looking for a 3".

One comment though; the finger should be off the trigger unless you are ready to fire.

upa

Nice revolver, finger off the trigger until on target also came to mind, that sage safety etiquette is also pertinent to air guns/nailers. Don't mean to sound like a nanny but it just takes a moment's inattention to succesfully initiate a a negligent discharge.

SardonicSmile

I appreciate your concern, but.. I unloaded just seconds before, revolvers have a strong trigger pull, I was alone, all 50 shells are visibly sitting in the only 38sp box I have, and the gun was pointed at 20 miles of nothing but woods.  :P

Anyway, it's got to be the nicest revolver I've ever had.. even like it more than the S&W 642 Airweight. Just feels like a tank and fits me perfectly.

Mike 870

I have an sp101 also.  I love mine.  Your house is coming along great by the way.

SardonicSmile

Moving in in two weeks! Pictures are coming. Total cost was around $45,000 (I ended up hiring for most of the work)

Got a 3.7% interest rate on a 15 year ;D

mogie01

Looks great SardonicSmile!!  Were you able to get your stairs to code for the inspector?  That's the dilemma I'm having right now, we're not sure how strict they will be.  We have a long way to go, we've just begun building, but thought that if we needed to make any changes to the floorplan now is the time to do it. ???

SardonicSmile

QuoteLooks great SardonicSmile!!  Were you able to get your stairs to code for the inspector?  That's the dilemma I'm having right now, we're not sure how strict they will be.  We have a long way to go, we've just begun building, but thought that if we needed to make any changes to the floorplan now is the time to do it. Huh?

Yep, the rise/run are to code and the width is 36". We had to use three "diagonal" stairs, and the place where they all meet caused a problem with my inspector. His solution was to put a very large ballaster in the spot where the three diagonal stairs became narrow and dangerous. You'll understand when I post pictures.

ben2go

Congrats on the green light to move in.Job well done.

freezengirl

Very nice! I bet your folks are so proud of you, your hard work and your ambition to go after what you want.  [cool]

SardonicSmile

Haven't had internet access for a while! Been moved in for nearly a year now and love it. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

I'm considering building a simple porch overhang above my front concrete "stoop", but I can't find any basic plans. Anyone have some information/links to a basic overhang like the one pictured below? I don't want to come from the roof because I don't want to cut into the shingles.

ben2go

Do a google search for lean to and shed roof construction.It should turn up a lot of threads detailing how to build the roof.The rest is just posts and railing to hold the roof up.

MountainDon

Can't tell a lot from the small drawing. To securely couple that roof to the house will need removing or cutting away siding to get the ledger secured properly to the studs.

I can't read the new eve height dimension on my screen. I'd be worried about it being too low. Looks that way. Not sure if there is a code figure on that.

Is there snow load? That can weigh heavily on the porch roof; there's snow fall itself plus any snow that slides off the main roof.

What would the resulting shed roof pitch work out to? 2/12 if my tired eyes make it out correctly?  What type of roofing would be used? If the pitch is too low standard shingles and even some metal panels won't work as well as with a higher pitch; 4/12 or geater.. Lower pitch may require two layers of felt and may even not be warranted. A shingle is a water sheeder not a water proofer. Low pitch slows the water flow and if there is enough it will back up.

IMO, it would also look better if that new roof was a gable with the same pitch as the existing roof.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

SardonicSmile

Been a very long time since I posted here.. The house has been finished for years, thought I'd add some pictures of the interior. Love it!

Thanks to everyone for the support.

ben2go

The house looks great.Good see you're enjoying the place.  [cool]

poppy

Everything looks great, thanks for the pics.  [cool]

One comment though, you may not be aware that refrigerator doors can be reversed.

dm1333

More pictures please!  If you don't mind posting them I would like to see some of the upstairs and also the exterior.  You have a very nice looking house!