Re: 16' x 28' loft house

Started by jhambley, January 12, 2006, 10:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhambley

Project Update

I have moved into my office...as every owner built project I've been involved with...it still isn't complete. I still have trim, interior painting,
and flooring left to do.

Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Jerry

(Jerry, I put these url links into the img brackets (the little picture frame on the edit toolbar) and they should post. Joh R)

Roofing

Skylights

Cellouse Insulation

View Out to East (pond)

Kitchenette

Hallway

Bathroom

Opening to 2nd Floor

North Facing Windows

South Facing Windows

Server Room

Upstairs

Furnace / Hot Water Utility Room

Ductwork

Air Conditioner / Generator

fishstix

Great Job, where did you put the water heater?  I think it could go nicely with the furnace.  Also where is the electrical panel I just cant find a good spot other than the Master Bedroom.

jhambley

The electric hot water tank sits in the utility closet with the furnace.

And you guessed right...the electrical service panel, generator transfer switch, and high speed telecom are mounted to a
service entrance board in the server room.

Jerry

Here is an initial shot of that panel:

glenn-k

Your place is really looking great.

jwv

Nice place! Thanks for the pics.

We are in the process of pricing windows right now.   Can I ask what type yours are?  We did windows from the salvage yard (new builder rejects) on the last house but aren't having luck with that this time and are going for a more unified look.

Judy

jhambley

My local Lowe's building centers have a special areas for returned windows and doors.
Some were special orders that turned out to be the wrong sizes and others were never picked up.
They reduce the prices on these items every week so I'm always on the lookout for deals
on window sizes I think I could use.

All my windows are Pella Pro Series (aluminum clad / wood interior) windows and skylights. I was able to purchase four skylights for
$400 and many windows for $1200. I only used a few windows in the office and the rest I have in storage for building the house next year.
They are all Low-E glass with Argon filled panels.

The only thing I paid full price for (actually sale price for) were the patio sliders on the front of the building.

Hope that helps.

Jerry

Jimmy_Cason

Jerry, How do you like that ladder?
I bought one like it right after I started framing. (Gorrilla Ladder from Home Depot) $199.
I think I have used it in every possible postition to work on my house.
It will fit in my car, Work as an adjustable step ladder from 4-8 ft.  or expand up to 20 ft. as an extention ladder. I have also broken it down into two 4 ft. step ladders and used a 2x12 between them as a walk board.

Next to my dewalt drill, it has been the best tool I have ever owned.

I sound like a salesman! I swear I do not work for the ladder company

jhambley

I noticed you had one in your building photos.

I love the ladder and its versatility/strength. Mine is the one you see on the infomercial and it extends to 17' I believe.
It is a bit too heavy if you were moving it all the time. They have a small (lighter) one for indoor use. How's the weight on yours?

Jerry

Jimmy_Cason

Mine is a little heavier than I think it should be. But I think that is part of being sturdy.
I bought it and tossed the rotten old wooden "WIDOW-MAKER" ladder in the trash.

glenn-k

I also have had one for a couple years. -  I think mine is about 20-21 feet overall.  When all the way out it is a bit springy but not bad considering that you can do so many things with it.  I never know from one day to the next what kind of a job I will be on so this ladder is handy.  Seems that most of the new ones I have seen were shorter.

Cody(Guest)

Greeting from NE Kansas,
Your house is by far the closest match I'v found to what I want to build. The only difference would be the 16 x 28 that I want to build will acually be a full time, long time residence.  We are closing on our land next month (also currently planted in soybean) and then I can buy my plans and get started. So my question is, and I hope this isn't rude of me to ask, How much have you spent so far on your house? I believe I can get somewhat of an accurate idea of what mine will cost because you are located in the same state, your house is the same size and you have built recently.
-Cody

Cody(Guest)

Okay one more question,
Did you build a basement? or what are you using for a storm shelter?
-Cody

Paul(Guest)

Jeff,

Great job! I am building something very similar. Out of curiousity, what color is your exterior wall and trim paint?

Thanks,

Paul

SVDtiger

a great house you have built! very nice work. im sure it will serve you well for many years

jhambley

QuoteJeff,

Great job! I am building something very similar. Out of curiousity, what color is your exterior wall and trim paint?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, I'll have to look at the color chips next time I'm at the office. They are Sherwin Williams colors.
Good Luck with your project!!

Jerry

Jimmy_Cason

I forgot how simple and cool this house looked!  
Jerry Hambley, are you still out there?

jhambley

Hi Jimmy,

I'm still here. I stop by every now and again to see what everyone is up to.

Jerry

John Raabe

Welcome back Jerry!

Just to remind folks of Jerry's fine work...

None of us are as smart as all of us.

redjhoo

Hi Jerry
Looking at the hallway photo above is the door standing slightly ajar the bathroom door.
That being the case what room is located behind the kitchen wall?
Appreciate any info as it is a really lovely build.