20x32 A frame cabin Central KY

Started by EaglesSJ, July 23, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzarkBrandon

It is coming together nicely; you are going to have a great little cabin!  Thanks for the pics, it takes my mind off of the tiny appartment I am stuck in!

EaglesSJ

Quote from: phalynx on August 17, 2010, 07:58:23 PM
You are certainly moving at a great pace.  I know it feels good seeing it "looking" complete.  Are you using pressure treated wood under the deck area including the beams?  You don't want rot creeping into your structure.  If not, perhaps there is something you can do to shed the water.

it feels GREAT!!!! and yes I am using treated lumber on anything that will be "outside"

EaglesSJ

I am currently wiring for electric and I am setting up my battery bank. I bought 4 125AH deep cycle batteries that I will be charging off of a generator/solar. Can you guys recommend a good charger for me?

rocking23nf

Cant believe you work at that height without a harness.  Thats a long ways down!

EaglesSJ

Finished some of the lighting. bulbs are LED 3.
5 watts each. bout as bright as a 60w incandescent

My POWER closet

Bathroom

phalynx

Wow dude, you need to slow down.  You are making some of us look really bad!  You have made outstanding progress in such a short time.  Is the house warming next week?  ;D

Do you have a link to the LED bulbs you used?

325ABN

astidham

"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

considerations

Jiminy Crickets, the good news about that roof is that there is no "air time" before impact if you use it as a slide. 

In hot weather you could strap a hose end to the ridge and use it for your own personal water park!

My imaginings are running rampant... ;D

bayview

You may want to "encase" the batteries with some sort of box and have them vent outside . . .

/.
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

mldrenen

your progress is impressive.  it's really coming along nicely.

one quick question about the roof.  i've never installed a metal roof, but i always assumed that you'd want to use some sort of underlayment.  did you decide against using one?  if so, what was your reasoning?  

Solar Burrito

If you ever need a job, you could show your potential employer this thread as a testament to your work ethic.
Small Shelters, Off Grid Living, and Other Neat Stuff http://solarburrito.com

amollenh

Adorable!   That son of yours could be eaten up like a cupcake.  Your homestead is awesome.  Unfortunate for me I'm still cleaning :(  I'm almost done with the outside crap (family hoarder left a piece of property behind).  Took me a while but this whole thread of yours is very inspiring and informative.  Keep up the good work! People like me need this .info.  :)  Also, thank you for your service sir.

EaglesSJ

Thank you all for the kind comments. I have been trying as hard as I can to get it so we can live more comfortably as we have already moved in. To the question about the lights, here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Lights-America-2002LEDP30-65K-LED-Bulb/dp/B001BQ0B4C

Also about the batteries, a box is the next thing on my to do list.

I decided against the tar paper after talking to several roofers in the local area and they said that 1.) with metal it isnt near as important as with shingles and 2.) that as steep of pitch as I am doing it would just be a waste of money because even if I drilled a hole in the metal it would have a hard time leaking because the water will be running off so fast.

Here are a few pics of what I got done since my last post. Sorry I have took so long to update but I have to upload pics/check this thread when I visit folks with internet. I wont have any installed for another week or so.

Tom

I see that you even installed a home security system... with glowing eyes  :o

Texas Tornado

ben2go

Freekin shweet howse.Cute kid and wife.My wife is from Slemp,KY,one of the mining villages in SE region.

speedfunk

Dude, you are moving !! wow.

When I saw your roof without felt paper I thought the same thing.  Being that steep there won't be much moisture that will stay on there very long.  The only issue you could have is the seems of the sheets of wood.  Not a big deal if you ever needed to add it either.

looks awesome!  A very cool looking A frame. 

EaglesSJ

well we are starting to slow up a bit as money is getting kinda tight now that we spent about 10k. But here are the latest progress pics. I got water ran up to right under the cabin and we need to get a pump and pressure tank. Ordered my tankless water heater last night and cut the saplings today to make my back porch railing. Skinned about half of them and now were headed to lowes to get some stain for the exterior and some paint for the table I built to feed the squirrels and such off of. My son is loving his new found freedom in the woods to roam and explore. I also picked up a "survival vehicle" pretty cheap and painted it in true redneck fashion. Gets 95-105 MPG and goes about 65-70 mph. Not bad.

OlJarhead

First let me say AWESOME!

For a flyboy you're alright *just razzing ya*.  In fact I have to admit you've done what most dream about (including me) -- in a year I'm not where you are!  BRAVO!

Second, you mentioned malignant melanoma :(  What's the prognosis?  Did you receive VA Benefits and disability?  I hope that you've had treatment and it was sent into remission my friend.  Please let us know.

Lastly, I have to say that you site and build are quite impressive and overall inspiring.  Many dream of off the grid living but few actually take the plunge, so when you get done you might want to thank that Aunt ;)  after all, you will be free of much of what we are slave to today!

Cheers and well met.
Erik

MushCreek

If any one needed a reason to head out to the woods, the picture with the turtle says it all!

Awesome work on the cabin- you guys are crazy fast!
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

astidham

EaglesSJ, your A-frame is very impressive.
I cant believe how fast it has came together, good work!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

havoc

Hey there Jeep buddy,

I followed your thread from the link off your Jeep Forum Profile.  Just wanted to say that you have done a great job on the house, and you have a very nice looking family..and how come you haven't posted your gal on the Hottest Wife/Girlfriend thread on jeep Forum??? She's a keeper.  [cool]

AS for the house, I have an idea for your water.  I was stationed in Okinawa and when we lived off base, we had water rationing.  It was during the summer and our house could only have the water on odd numbered days.  What the land lord did was put a water tank on the roof of the house. The tank had a float valve that would stop the water from being pumped in when the tank was full. It was like a toilet tank valve. When we were on the odd numbered days our tank would fill up so that on the even numbered days we would have water.

Now where I am going with this is water pressure..with the tank higher than the rest of the house we always had good water pressure for doing dishes, showering and whatnot.  Since your already pumping water up hill from your spring, why not put your water tank up on some stilts next to the house out back. As long as it's higher than your shower head and faucets you'd have good water pressure and wouldn't have to worry about an additional pump in the house tank. You could rig the level switch to kick the pump on or off for the pump at the bottom of the hill down at the spring.  If you know anything about plumbing, I do not, or you know a plumber get with him/her about pipe reduction. I believe that you could have like a 2 inch pipe coming out of the elevated tank and then reduce it down to 1 inch at each faucet to get you even more pressure.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Your keep buddy,
Mike
havoc64

OlJarhead

Quote from: havoc on September 07, 2010, 01:50:07 PM
Hey there Jeep buddy,

I followed your thread from the link off your Jeep Forum Profile.  Just wanted to say that you have done a great job on the house, and you have a very nice looking family..and how come you haven't posted your gal on the Hottest Wife/Girlfriend thread on jeep Forum??? She's a keeper.  [cool]

AS for the house, I have an idea for your water.  I was stationed in Okinawa and when we lived off base, we had water rationing.  It was during the summer and our house could only have the water on odd numbered days.  What the land lord did was put a water tank on the roof of the house. The tank had a float valve that would stop the water from being pumped in when the tank was full. It was like a toilet tank valve. When we were on the odd numbered days our tank would fill up so that on the even numbered days we would have water.

Now where I am going with this is water pressure..with the tank higher than the rest of the house we always had good water pressure for doing dishes, showering and whatnot.  Since your already pumping water up hill from your spring, why not put your water tank up on some stilts next to the house out back. As long as it's higher than your shower head and faucets you'd have good water pressure and wouldn't have to worry about an additional pump in the house tank. You could rig the level switch to kick the pump on or off for the pump at the bottom of the hill down at the spring.  If you know anything about plumbing, I do not, or you know a plumber get with him/her about pipe reduction. I believe that you could have like a 2 inch pipe coming out of the elevated tank and then reduce it down to 1 inch at each faucet to get you even more pressure.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Your keep buddy,
Mike
havoc64

Wait, what?  I'm a JeepForum member too....I'll have to pop over there and see which thread you're chatting about :)

COOL

Also MountainDon is a Jeep nut too

MountainDon

w* havoc     

I have a box full of nuts from old Jeeps.    ;D

On the water pressure from an elevated tank...
Reducing larger pipes down to smaller does not increase pressure. Pressure is totally dependent on the height of the water column; 0.43 psi per foot of water column height. That could be a 4 foot diameter tank or a one inch diameter pipe. If both are 20 feet high you will have 8.6 pounds of pressure at the bottom. A large pipe will increase volume. When the large pipe goes into a smaller pipe the will be a short spurt of increased flow when the small diameter faucet is opened but that will quickly be reduced to the same pressure. Sometimes increased flow will make up for the low pressure; that would require a large pipe all the way.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.