Walden Pond

Started by sparks, October 24, 2009, 10:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

A couple of years ago, I visited this place. It's a long walk around the lake. The very beginning of the video is a shot of where the original cabin was. Today, visitors place stones from the nearby area or lake in a pile next to the cabin site. Guest book, I suppose.

I have heard his real name was David Henry Thoreau......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhP7PKoRmmY

sparks
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

Don_P

That place is special to me. My Dad tells stories of an interesting man that you might enjoy researching, Roland Wells Robbins, an amatuer archeologists/ historian/ painter/ follower of Thoreau's teachings, the man who discovered the original cabin site. My Dad reconstructed Thoreau's 10x15 cabin in an apple orchard in Robbin's back yard a few miles from Walden Pond in the early '60's. It was as accurate as Robbins could make it from buying the nails from the same manufacturer, to hewing the timbers and shingling with hatchets. They incorporated a brick from the 1945 excavation in the chimney of the reproduction and a member of Thoreau's family donated a writing desk to grace the finished product. There was a small woodshed out back in the photo I have, I believe I see the edge of it in the video, maybe wishful thinking.

I've enjoyed Thoreau's writings through the years although like so many, this son of a pencil maker was certainly very human. Thoreau's adventure was sparked by his friend Emerson's work "Self Reliance". He later repaid his friend by having an affair with his wife. It is sometimes said of him that he enjoyed setting himself up in experiences and then recording the reverberations of those actions, not paying taxes, launching himself down rivers, moving to Walden. "It is a vulgar error to suppose you have tasted huckleberries having never plucked them"

maggiethecat

Quote from: Don_P on October 25, 2009, 07:55:56 AMThat place is special to me. My Dad tells stories of an interesting man that you might enjoy researching, Roland Wells Robbins, an amatuer archeologists/ historian/ painter/ follower of Thoreau's teachings, the man who discovered the original cabin site. My Dad reconstructed Thoreau's 10x15 cabin in an apple orchard in Robbin's back yard a few miles from Walden Pond in the early '60's. It was as accurate as Robbins could make it from buying the nails from the same manufacturer, to hewing the timbers and shingling with hatchets. They incorporated a brick from the 1945 excavation in the chimney of the reproduction and a member of Thoreau's family donated a writing desk to grace the finished product. There was a small woodshed out back in the photo I have, I believe I see the edge of it in the video, maybe wishful thinking.

I've enjoyed Thoreau's writings through the years although like so many, this son of a pencil maker was certainly very human. Thoreau's adventure was sparked by his friend Emerson's work "Self Reliance". He later repaid his friend by having an affair with his wife. It is sometimes said of him that he enjoyed setting himself up in experiences and then recording the reverberations of those actions, not paying taxes, launching himself down rivers, moving to Walden. "It is a vulgar error to suppose you have tasted huckleberries having never plucked them"
I'm sorry, but it is not official that he had an affair with Mrs. Emerson, LOL! In fact it seems as if he was extremely uninterested in such pursuits!
Decorate your cabin/house/castle/compound/hellhole with original modern ART!