Welding helmet advice sought....

Started by NM_Shooter, April 24, 2014, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I need some welding helmet advice.

Historically, I am a crappy welder.  My welds are full of voids, splatter, and in general look poor.  If not for a grinder, I would be ashamed to have anyone see them.

In anticipation of some projects, I decided to put some time into practice.  I googled around and found some tips for flux core welding which has already improved what I am doing.  Now using some anti-splatter spray too. 

However, I found that the helmet that I have leaves a lot to be desired.  This helmet came in my Lincoln weld-pak kit. The tint is entirely too dark.  I simply can't see the puddle.  I see the spark and everything else is dark.  I also have some problem with light coming in from behind my head, reflecting off the inside of the glass, and making it harder to see. 

I found another helmet that I had stashed away, looks pretty old and darn near falling apart.  Has only a small view window on it and that little 2"x5" or so window flips up too.  However, when I tried this helmet, I could see the surrounding metal while welding much, much better.  It was sort of a purple-ish tint, where the other is all dark charcoal looking. 

My welds instantly got better.  A lot better.   

To combat some of the light coming in from behind me, I put a towel over my head.  Helped, but not completely.

So....any tips on this?  Is there a better helmet to have which allows me to see what the heck I am doing? 

A better way to keep light out of the inside of the helmet?

Thanks for any suggestions. 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

An autodarkening helmet with an adjustable darkness control is superb to use. I bought a new one months ago when my oldie ran into uneconomical to repair problems.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-shade-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-46092.html

I also frequently use a 300 or a 500 watt work light to make the work area more visible.  It does help to have less light behind you.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

rick91351

I have a HF helmet such as that - I like it.  Not very roomy.  I have a couple old styles that I have as well.  I like the autodarkening..........
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

UK4X4

I have the same helmet, works fine, I also use the towel over the head....and the work lamp !

splatter wise if you go get some gas and standard wire your splatter will almost completely disappear.

the flux core its self causes the splatter as the flux boils off inside the wire casing the little explosions....

and those pesky balls of steel everywhere

some one really needs to design flux exterior wire...and have it where its required on the outside of the weld !