Items to store / barter / trade / if the SHTF ?

Started by cbc58, January 01, 2013, 09:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbc58

Seeing as our fearless leaders seem intent on destroying our economy and not making hard choices, what items would you consider important to have to stock up on for your own use, or for barter or trade?

Other than having some gold and silver, food, tools and the basics.. what are you gathering or what will be important to have ?   What can you get now that will go up in value if you have to trade/sell it? 

rick91351

Real money and barter is always in creature comforts and sin..... Booze and tobacco but you would have to keep the tobacco fresh.  Anyone here know how to store 'tobac' for long periods.  Then I would not horde that to trade if I lived in an area where there is a lot of 'shine' and tobacco being grown.  Here in Idaho we do not grow a lot of tobacco.  Really do not know if we could.   ???  I hear there is some shine here and there.   :D

Lead wheel weights, powder of different types, pistol and rifle primers and brass from 9MM to 45 LC.  223 through 30-06 in rifle brass.  Might have to keep well hidden.  Most of that is easy to hide.   

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Ndrmyr

The interesting sub-question here is what will leverage itself up in value in the SHTF event.  I-Pads will make nice cutting boards but would have little value otherwise.
Full 20lb LP gas cylinders--sources of heat and cooking. 
I wonder about those little cube generators, small enough to be portable, but can run lights, radio, pump water.
Well-preserved high energy lightweight food.  Beef Jerky, dried fruit, etc.
Water Purifying kits, tablets, etc.
Antibiotics, basic meds.
Small solar powered devices. Getting cheap with coupons at Harbor Freight.
Compasses
Blades, machetes, axes, hatchets.
Binoculars, spotting scopes.
Tents, Sleeping bags.
Traps, now a potential source of obtaining food.
Crossbows, quiet and reusable, defensive, and food obtaining.
Bug spray, deet.
Garden Seeds.
Hand Pumps, can be used to extract fuel from underground tanks.
Collapse-able buckets for carrying water or fuel.
Boxes of BIC lighters
Just a start.....
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

flyingvan

I'll add toilet paper, salt, bicycle parts, any local guide to what the Native Ameircans did to survive your particular area.   A good way to store stuff is in 4" pvc pipe, one end with a cap glued on and the other with a thread on cap, sealed with plumber's tape. 
Tree tobacco (Nicotiana glauca) grows all over in the southwest.  I know Indians smoked it, I've used it to make a very effective insecticide (soaked the leaves in an old bucket I knew I wouldn't use for anything else and sprayed it on the flea beetles eating all the larkspur
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Huge29

It is interesting to hear Dave Ramsey responds to calls on this topic with each caller making the obvious insinuation that Gold/Silver is the answer.  He always replies by asking what was valuable in New Orleans after the Hurricane.  Gold/silver would not have done you squat, food, water, ammunition those are of value as was hinted by the original post.  Beyond that, most has already been mentioned.