26 X 36 in Acworth, NH

Started by 325ABN, May 31, 2010, 08:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

325ABN

Here is our homesite located on 22 acreas in Acworth, NH. The plan is to build a log home up on the hill. We need to fiqure out a tempary living situation. First thought was a used trailer but come to find out in NH one needs to set mobile home on a full slab, the days of pulling a trailer out to your land and setting it up on blocks are gone. The current plan is to put up a panelized garage on a heated slab. But now after some excavation I am thinking this area might be great for a capped walk-out basement site.

This is a shot from the future log home site, looking WNW down to where the tempory dwelling will be. The machine is sitting right in the spot where I plan the garage/dwelling.

In this shot the machine is just starting to excavate into the hillside.  After this was worked a bit is what is making think of a capped walkout basement for a temp home.

This shot is looking up the driveway from the class-VI non maintained town road.

And a shot of my 6 year old Noah shooting his Criket from the prone. He is a crack shot, he started shooting when he was 3.

cbc58

are you on a class VI road ?     if so... how far in are you off of a class V ?  

i'm curious because where we are you can't build a principal dwelling on a class VI road depending how far in it is...

325ABN

Yes my place is on a class-VI road. The closest class-V road is about 1000 feet from my driveway. When I get moved in, there will be four of us on this section of road.

cbc58

did you have to agree to upgrade and maintain the road so that emergency vehicles can get in and out?  that's the regs for a class VI road where i am... wonder if acworth is the same.  have to bring in power too....

325ABN

I am doing some work on the road but just to improve my acess. I do have to sign a waiver to get my building permit. As far as maintance goes it's up to the four of us to keep up with it, to keep it open in the winter etc etc. The down will not do anything to the road and will not take it over unless the people vote to. Acworth has many people living on class-VI roads. What town are you in?

cbc58

our land is in Hancock.  to build on a class VI road there you have to upgrade the road so that it is suitable for emergency vehicles to get in and out... or in other words... make it near the same as a class V road.  plus post a bond if used in winter or for construction damage, plus sign and record a liability waiver.  much stricter than where you are I guess.  i was curious because you mentioned class VI in your post.  

didn't mean to hijack your thread... look forward to the progress.

325ABN

Progress is happening up here in Acworth, NH. The road and driveway are done and in. Ended up spending more on these phase than I wanted to but all is good. Parts of the road where raised as much as 2.5 ft with some nice material dug up from my land, then road fabric was laid down and capped with 4-6 inches of bankrun gravel, 14 truck loads of it at $200/Ld. We have settled on the plan to go forward with pouring the 26x36 walk-out basement and capping it with a flat roof then living in it and building up. Here are afew shots of the completed road/driveway.

Looking south down the road towards our place.

Moving down the road.

Looking from the road up the driveway to the home site.

Freeholdfarm

Looks great! 

Kathleen

Yonderosa

Looking good.  Breaking ground is a good day when it goes well.  Good to see a young man enjoying himself outdoors.  I had feared that sort of thing has all but disappeared in the East of this great country.  It brings back many happy memories of my own days as a pup.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
http://theyonderosa.blogspot.com/

"The secret to life is to be alive.  To live ultimately by one's own hand and one's own independent devices." -Ted Nugent

cbc58

they did nice work. 

325ABN

cbc58

looks great.  your son must be loving the dirt and construction.  is that a 24x30? 

Tom

In looking through your pictures, I'm thinking that you should be building a stone house. Is all of NH that rocky?
Looks like a nice spot

speedfunk

Capping the walk out basement strikes me as a really good idea.  You can get in afford ably, have a nice play to stay to work on the rest of the house, out side of all the mess!

Looks good btw... You must be high up to be getting all those rocks.  Def slows things down a bit but gives you so much material to work with for structures and retaining walls. 

Jeff

325ABN

It's a 26 X 36.

Rocks, rocks and more rocks. Flat rocks no round rocks.

cbc58

i just read through the thread and see that you had mentioned it was going to be 26x36... sorry for the stupid question.   rocks everywhere.  someone told me once that NH was at one point 70% cleared for agriculture and all those stonewalls are from farmers clearing the fields and defining boundaries.  hard to imagine but makes sense.

pocono_couple

we just got back from spending a week in the lakes region - had a great time!  looks like you are making significant progress - i loved the capped basement idea.  it seems to make a lot of sense for a variety of reasons in this day and age..   good luck!

bigcozy

Looks good, couple of questions:

1.  Is there a rough in for plumbing I didn't see?
2.  Did you prep a french drain/other drainage for the back wall?
3.  Is that a boss (built up area for strength) around the backwall?
4.  What percentage was the dirt work/footing/walls of your total budget?

I am trying to decide if I want to what you have done so far, or something different.  I live in a area that has an exceptional amount of ground water.  

EDIT = I see the rough ins.

NM_Shooter

Good grief!  You let your son play with guns?  For cryin' out loud, what are you trying to do?  Teach responsibility, respect, confidence, and hand eye coordination?  What next?  Boy Scouts?  Church?  Somebody from the ACLU should call the county.   

(Nice looking site and progress!)

-f-
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

325ABN

Quote from: bigcozy on August 05, 2010, 03:30:20 PM
Looks good, couple of questions:

1.  Is there a rough in for plumbing I didn't see?
2.  Did you prep a french drain/other drainage for the back wall?
3.  Is that a boss (built up area for strength) around the backwall?
4.  What percentage was the dirt work/footing/walls of your total budget?

I am trying to decide if I want to what you have done so far, or something different.  I live in a area that has an exceptional amount of ground water.  

EDIT = I see the rough ins.

The rough ins that you see on the North side is for the water line, power and my outside boiler. The septic is on the south side. Yes I will have parimeter drains .
I am not sure about the "boss" can you elaberate?
Budget! OH my head!! This concrete work you see cost me about $7000 not including the site work.

bigcozy

Thanks for the answers.  Concrete is apparently out of the question for me.

The "boss" appears on each side of the walls at the base, an area where the concrete is thicker at the bottom up to about four feet. 

325ABN

A few progress shots. The 10 X 55 $9500 system ready for state inspection. This is the one and only official inspection I must submit to! >:( ;D [cool]

The D-Box.

1250 Gal tank

The trench for the pipe to the house.

A few shots of the backfilled system after inspection, never to be seen again for at least 30 years. I HOPE!

325ABN

The well is in!! [cool] 405Ft, 2Gal/Min, static level @ 4'5", 600 Gal of storage.

RIjake

Quote from: Yonderosa on June 17, 2010, 09:35:40 AM
  Good to see a young man enjoying himself outdoors.  I had feared that sort of thing has all but disappeared in the East of this great country. 
Best of luck and keep us posted.

That's kind of an ignorant statement.  What are you basing that on?  It aggravates me when folks from other parts of the country bash the east, like everything east of the Miss is like NYC.   n*