Free Download - SketchUp 3d modeling program

Started by ergodesk, April 27, 2006, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glenn kangiser

I just have a PC, Karen, and actually haven't had much time to play with Sketchup.   I have seen great work by others though.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

My son has become a SketchUp enthusiast and self-taught quick study user in a very short time. He is all Mac all the time.

He is doing rather sophisticated models for an artist/architect named James Turrell. The architectural drawings are in AutoCAD files but he found it easier to model the structure in SketchUp.

Using a modern Mac does not appear to be a problem with this software. My son is using the leopard OS on an imac.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

kyounge1956

Quote from: John Raabe on April 01, 2009, 10:32:53 AM
My son has become a SketchUp enthusiast and self-taught quick study user in a very short time. He is all Mac all the time.

He is doing rather sophisticated models for an artist/architect named James Turrell. The architectural drawings are in AutoCAD files but he found it easier to model the structure in SketchUp.

Using a modern Mac does not appear to be a problem with this software. My son is using the leopard OS on an imac.

I have version 6 previously downloaded on a CD or could go to the website and download version 7. Which version is your son using? Is his iMac an Intel chip one, or an earlier model? Karen

builder

London

Bradon Wesche

I too am a big fan of SketchUp and use it all the time.  I make myself available to answer questions people might have and thought I would offer my services here as well.  It's kind of a hobby to me :)

If you need help creating your Country Plans feel free to ask me here or on my website.

Learn to Love 3D SketchUp:  www.sketchyquestions.com

glenn kangiser

Wish I had time to do more learning on it.  Not right now though.  Thanks for the help offer, Bradon and may get back to it later.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

John Raabe

Sorry I haven't visited this thread in awhile. (Download the latest version of SketchUp when using it for either a Mac or PC - http://sketchup.google.com/download/)

Thanks for the fine offer of help, Brandon.

I have often thought that SketchUp might be helpful for modifying the floor plans of some of my stock plans - doing the interior wall, window and furniture modifications that can be done in 3D Home Architect or BH&G Home Designer - but with a free program everyone could use.

However, I don't know if the component library has evolved enough yet for the use of an owner-builder who must have results in a short learning session.

Of course, SketchUp can also do things 3DHA can't, and the new Pro version with Layout 3 builds in a full CAD environment for the production of working drawings from SketchUp models.

MWAndrus

SketchUp and Layout are both very handy tools when you are working on designing a new house plan. It takes a lot of the guess work out if you can sit down and draw it out on paper first. Here are a few examples of drawings that I have been working on:

John Raabe

Very nice workup. Has lots of detail and I like your bracing design.

Note that the latest reading of the IRC code will likely not allow the collar and rafter ties that you show on alternate rafters. They now need to be on each pair. Check with your inspector.

OcoeeG

WOW!!  I just found SketchUp online and downloaded a copy.  What brilliant software and all for free.  I used to do lots of AutoCad drafting back in the mid-90's.  This program reminds me a lot of that.  Have already used it to design a pole barn.  Great tool!!!