1 1/2 story 2 story or in between?

Started by vickeyd, April 07, 2016, 10:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vickeyd

I am wanting to build a 16x36 cabin. I like the look of the 1 1/2 story 12/12 pitch roof. But considering cost and the fact that I already possess a large amount of 2x4x8 lumber I have a question about building something like a 1 1/2 story but platform framed with the upper floor having 4' sidewalls. I like the idea of balloon framing but don't feel comfortable with cutting into 10 or 12' 2x4's for the ledger. I don't need the insulation depth 2x6's would give me as I am in a mild climate zone. I don't really want the height of a 2 story and I wanted to leave half of the upper floor open to below (maybe) so 2 story would be a bit too tall for that area and I like the look of a loft.  I already have enough 2x4x8's to frame the entire lower floor. I will be building on a no restrictions or code property. Would this be a way to achieve what I am wanting? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

NathanS

The problem with platform framing a 1.5 story is that you can't use ceiling joists (which keep the rafters from pushing the walls outward).

This means that you need to use a structural ridge beam or scissor trusses.

I think there are even concerns over notching into 2x6 for the ledger, if you platform frame.

If you want an open loft area, that space needs to be balloon framed, because the joint between the 8' first floor wall and 4' second floor wall would no longer be laterally supported by the second floor 'diaphragm'.

Don_P

Draw the framing out to scale. Usually at around a 5' sidewall you can have ceiling joists in the lower third of roof height and they will be above 7' headroom. You can then platform frame the second floor walls. That just pushed any sidewall balloon framing to 14' studs, definitely not 2x4. Gable framing at that height ~22' should be engineered, that's not a 2x6.