1\8 inch sheathing gap

Started by MarkAndDebbie, June 22, 2007, 08:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkAndDebbie

I know I am supposed to leave an 1\8 (or 16th dending on the direction? Wagner 111) inch gap between my sheathing. I asked some people how to do that and got several replies.

Someone said the OSB sold for sheathing is an 1/8th inch short. I believed this one until I put a tape on it just now.

Someone else said to put it up tight and then run a circular saw down the seam set at 7/16ths deep. This sounded like way more work than a normal framing crew would do. (I stopped by a new neighborhood to see if I could tell what they were doing, but I don't think I'll follow their example. Their gaps were more like an half an inch to an inch -yes that means that some of the OSB ran off the stud. But I'm sure it will be OK because it's not plumb - so some of every sheet seemed nailed in  :o )

Someone else said - you're not building a piano - don't worry.

What should I do? Won't I start to run off the stud if I am doing 8' + 1/16th for each sheet?

Thanks.

glenn kangiser

I know what it says - don't think I've been on a job where anyone worried about it.  PEG might. :)

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

youngins

On the playhouse floor sheathing, there was a natural 1/8" gap between the T&G once it all got tapped into place.
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

PEG688

[highlight]I just touch the sheets together [/highlight], don't slamum uo "extra tight" make sure the ends are back a little 1/8 / 1/4 instead of hanging over a 1/16.

If your going to be months before your in the dry , gapping might be a good idea , but if it's OSB and it swells no matter how much you gap it it well not be enought.
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

jb52761

I used those metal spacers designed for sheathing...I'm not worried about code here, not in city limits, but aren't those basically what folks use ?? They are about an inch and a half wide and just slip onto both edges, leaving the desired gap...boom, done.....jb

paul s

i wa s on a job recently antd the osb was 1/8" narrow.  we  used a nail on the top and bottom as a spacer  that was about 1/8 inch thick.

in fact wee had to take down 12 shees and put them back up  thankfully they were not anild but with a few nails with the plan to go back and nail over

i have seen rooofs buckle badly  so i always space them out as they say

PEG688

Ok Stop are we talking wall sheathing or roof sheathing.

On walls butt it GENTLY together  no added force .

On roof with 24" OC truss's or rafter use 1 ea. "H" clip between each rafter, one per rafter bay, the end of the sheets again just touch together no added force , or gap them a little .

Some OSB,  I hear ,  is "down sized " but I never seen any . And I'll bet I've laid more sheets of CDX / OSB than anyone on this forum.    

Again YMMV .

If your going to be a long time IE more than  month without a roof gapping may help some what , BUT when/ once  OSB swells it , never shrinks back any , it just gets thicker , and thicker .

Good luck PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MarkAndDebbie

QuoteOk Stop are we talking wall sheathing or roof sheathing.

On walls butt it GENTLY together  no added force .

On roof with 24" OC truss's or rafter use 1 ea. "H" clip between each rafter, one per rafter bay, the end of the sheets again just touch together no added force , or gap them a little .

Talking about walls (for now). I'll butt gently.

I'll use the clip, with plywood, and dry it in quickly :)