Surveying today

Started by jeffpettis, January 14, 2013, 11:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffpettis

Land is being surveyed today. Should close in a couple of weeks. My wife and I are so excited, can't wait to start building something!!! :)

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jeffpettis

Here is the view we will see from the back porch once we build the house. We plan on clearing the underbrush down the hill and leave most of the trees  [chainsaw]. Should be a nice view to look at from a rocking chair.  ;)

rick91351

Really hate to bust your bubble but might as well sell the rocking chair.  There is whole new world out there once you turn the first spade.  Oh by the way best sell of fish poles, hunting rifles and your favorite bird gun from that point on they are a worthless commodity.  Or go down to the hock shop trade them in on a load of 'gently used nail guns and compressors and hose'.

Next you might as well trade off the fancy bird hunting dog for a job dog.  His only purpose is the console you when you hit you thumb with the new framing hammer.  You know the one with the 32 oz titanium waffle head and long long fiberglass handle and you were using all of it to sink that @#$$@#@## nail.  Or when the concrete truck shows up a day before the forms are in and you were thinking it is Tuesday and it is yes Wednesday.  As you sit there on the tailgate of the pick up crying to the batch plant about this load of mud you cant use, the job dog jumps up there beside you and puts his head on your lap and brown eyes look at you to say its alright, its okay.  Latter in the project when you fall off the roof he will show up and lather you with lickey kisses and drive you to Quick Care.  Much more important than the fancy hunting dog.....

Just a voice from the real world out there.       

:D Rick

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jeffpettis

Sounds like you've had some bad experiences in the past!  ;) 

Won't be selling the guns or fishing poles. They can just collect some dust for a while. And as far as the job dog goes, already got one.

Just gotta teach her how to drive!!! ;)

hpinson

rick91351

Yep!  That dog will do really fine.  Got very good breeding for a job dog.  And big enough not to be tripping over all the time.    [cool]

I am still warning you don't turn that first spade..........  It's sort of like don't look at the light, don't look at the light......  Dang Ellen I think he looked at the light.....  yep he's done he will never be the same again.......

:D Rick 

jeffpettis

I'll keep you updated Rick!!! ;)

Picked up the survey map yesterday. Now I just have to find where my property lines go through the woods. The survey company only located and set concrete corner markers. They didn't locate or mark any lines. I kind of miss the old days when they had to hack their way through the brush to actually "shoot" the lines.  [chainsaw]  Now they just let their fancy DGPS tell them where everything is at. I can't remember the last time I saw a survey crew even use a transit... ???

rick91351

Quote from: jeffpettis on February 03, 2013, 08:52:05 AM
I'll keep you updated Rick!!! ;)

Picked up the survey map yesterday. Now I just have to find where my property lines go through the woods. The survey company only located and set concrete corner markers. They didn't locate or mark any lines. I kind of miss the old days when they had to hack their way through the brush to actually "shoot" the lines.  [chainsaw]  Now they just let their fancy DGPS tell them where everything is at. I can't remember the last time I saw a survey crew even use a transit... ???

We were required to have a property resurveyed a few years ago.  WOW do I ever agree.  I think I am going to have them come back now and set out a couple lath lines to correct a errant fence line or two.  Here pins are not usually set in concrete, but hammered in most cases.  No law here according to the surveyor prohibits someone from moving or removing pins.  Of course this does not hold true to USGS Benchmarks or monuments they are sort of holy ground.  Last year we did a two acre split.  It was done on paper and no pins were even placed.  Also here in Idaho a surveyor has no right to trespass.  If you have a bad neighbor relationship they can keep your surveyor out of their property.     

Actually to me surveying is still very interesting.  The surveyor had an assistant that had just been to formal investigation brought forth by a rival engineering / surveying company.  He had been working on a large bridge over the Snake River here in Idaho on the Idaho - Oregon border.  The company he worked for had been brought up on charges of lax methods.  Findings were that the company he worked for was held harmless and the company that brought the charges was required to pay for the investigation and hearing.  Findings showed the bridge was out only one half inch in construction on the final survey.   ???

Ndrmyr

Rick is sharing great truth.  I have never fished and boated less since I began building a cabin on a lake.  Go figure....
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

jeffpettis

Finally closed on the property yesterday!!!  :) Hope I'll be starting a new thread under owner builder project's shortly... Planning to start doing some clearing this week and start on a shed within the next few weeks. I'll post pics as I go.