Electric Baseboard heat in the 20x30 1 1/2 story

Started by Duane, March 24, 2010, 10:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duane

Basically want to use electric baseboard heat for show of permanent heat and rely on a good wood stove for the cold winter visits, also would like to use floor heat matt in bath and possibly kitchen. Have you used these? I like the warm feet in the morning. Is there any electric baseboards on your drawings?  A 125 amp service for totally electric cabin should be more than enough but it is the breaker space that I will need? Correct?  Another thing, do most people have the septic designed for a 2 bedroom? I believe it is based on bedrooms not bathrooms? Correct? Or no? Should I slow down? I am sorry but watching the site for a while and am getting close to plan purchase, VERY EXCITING...Duane

John Raabe

The baseboard supplier or Mfgrs rep will be glad to go over the plans and size and locate the baseboards to match your climate needs. Most people here install a 200 amp service for electric heat but you may be able to get by with less. The electric floor mats work well, we've put them in several custom houses under tile floors.

Septic is designed for the bedroom count. You may find very little cost differences unless you are in marginal soils. I would plan for expansion as it may be a limiting factor in the future (when septic rules will be tougher). You probably have to have the system designed by an approved designer/installer. I generally tell people to have an approved septic design in place with the county before you commit to the land purchase. Surprises can be expensive or even totally kill the project.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Duane

Thank You John, You sound very educated in what you do and in all your responses that I have read, probably pretty busy also. I have been doing some reading and it sounds as you figure 10 watts per square foot for electric baseboards and this being 600 sq ft you would need 6000 watts of baseboard total divided by 240 volt and you get 25 amps. So I think maybe 2-20amp breaker @ 240 volts would take care of the baseboard load, as long as there are good windows and well insullated. I already bought the land in Colorado so I guess i am stuck with whatever happens with the septic system. And I do plan to have it professionally designed before I get the permit. Everything requires a permit here ,I am also planning on going to the truss store and see what they can do for the roof and loft. The land is 2 hours from home so I don't want to make too many trips to the building dept. to get approoved. Can't do much without plans so I am ready to purchase..Duane

ChuckinVa

Duane,
w* to the forum. Couple of things to think about. First you can only load a 20 amp circuit to 80% or 16 amps. Rarely will your actual service voltage be 240 volts. Likely closer to 230 or 220 volts depending on how far from the transformer you are etc. The power company can adjust the taps on the transformer but unless you are the only customer on the line you likely will not have 240 volts. So that changes your  calculations a little. For instance 2000 W / 230 volts is about 8.7 AMPS or / 220 volts is a little over 9 amps. The number of circuits required will increase based on this as you can't get 2, 8 foot heaters on one circuit. You  would want to break the loads up into smaller units so that you get distribution thru out the house which may add additional circuits as well. Good luck to you on your build. This site is a great resource for information and just plain good folks willing to help.
CHUCK
ChuckinVa
Authentic Appalachian American

Duane

Thanks Chuck, I should have known it isn't as easy as what you read on the internet, a friend told me to keep adding baseboard till I trip the breaker and then take one off? He will not be helping me build!!!! You are right about this site, I have spent hours on here before I made any posts and people like yourself have made it great. Lots of support. By the way I was ordering the plans while you made your reply! Can't wait