Recent posts

General Forum / Re: YIKES! We just got an esti...
Last post by WISteven - April 22, 2022, 07:41:56 PM
It's only 8 yards of concrete.

DIY.

I know, I know, it's HARD work.

You need to find ONE experienced concrete guy who is willing to work for $1500 cash on a Saturday to help you out.
General Forum / Re: Split level Wood Foundatio...
Last post by WISteven - April 22, 2022, 07:37:58 PM
It sounds like a nice cozy setup.  Too cozy I think with only a 20' span.  I used 26' 10/12 gable attic trusses from Menards on a bonus room in a previous house. Those had a 14' wide room when measuring from where the ceiling reached 5' tall with 8' wide strip in the middle where the ceiling was 90" tall.

Fitting a stairway would be tough with a smaller truss. You can leave out a truss and frame up a stairwell in the 4' gap.  Or you can push a truss outside either way so you have a 6' opening and could put in a two-sided dormer.

On this house I also used a wood foundation.  I set mine on a concrete footer and used 2x8 treated studs at 12" on center. It worked great for the 16 years I lived there and I am sure it is holding up just fine.

Your proposal to put the trusses directly on the foundation one is something I have considered but nearly impossible to find any examples of it to look at.  It would end up looking somewhat like an A-frame house I suppose.

The only issue I had with them was that the truss members that from the roof plane, the side wall planes, and the floor plane were all out of whack and lots of shimming was needed to prepare it for roof sheating, drywall, and subfloor.
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: 20x 30 1 1/2 story- in Lac...
Last post by MountainDon - April 22, 2022, 04:30:37 PM
Yes, there are still some familiar faces here. Welcome back.

To post an image using the new upload method...

Under the compose a new message field, to the right side, is a button labeled "ADD FILES". Click that button.

A new field will be displayed which is outlined in RED.Do as instructed... "Drag and drop your files here, or use the button to add files."  Then click on the "UPLOAD ALL" button. When the upload is completed, click on the "INSERT" button. Then click on the "POST" button.

I think that should work for everyone. I just did it for my first time with Sharbin's images.  I could not do that with the video, but it is a large file and I am tethered to my phone and a poor mobile connection right now.

Note the inserted images are clickable and will display larger.
Last post by sharbin - April 22, 2022, 03:09:46 PM
and here is a video that shows the inside of the cottage (hope that works)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m44xHpM_gEgFF49B205R-gzQE7aEKBTw/view?usp=sharing
Last post by sharbin - April 22, 2022, 01:52:59 PM
I can't seem to post pictures so added the below link till I figure it out.
This is just to prove that the cottage is still standing  ;D

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fg9NM8DzQOc9Od3FKgPfe2xDS8ACad7A/view?usp=sharing
Last post by sharbin - April 22, 2022, 01:41:52 PM
Hello all,

it has been a while.... a very long while I did not post here... 9 years!
Lots of personal life changes; separation, divorce, meeting, engagement, marriage, and now back in business in continuing from where I left off.

Hope all have been good for everyone... I can see lots of familiar names here... bless you all.

All has been good. Cottage still standing (although according to MountainDon's moto, if it is still standing it does not mean it is well built ::) )

I have been running off a honda generator since day zero but now I have decided to start stage 2: inverter/charger and 400ah  LifePo4 battery set.
Forum News / Re: 2022 Forum Update
Last post by Adam Raabe - April 20, 2022, 10:53:04 AM
I was able to add a button to make it a little more intuitive: 
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 11.47.47 AM.jpg
Forum News / Re: 2022 Forum Update
Last post by Adam Raabe - April 20, 2022, 10:38:28 AM
Quote from: MountainDon on April 16, 2022, 07:42:32 AMif a member uses the "Quick Reply" field at the bottom of a page the ability to post a picture using the self-hosted upload feature is not readily apparent
Yeah, I think the Quick Reply feature is too confusing for anyone who wants to post an image. I will try to disable it this Friday, to make it easier to use.
General Forum / Re: OFF GRID POWER; various th...
Last post by OlJarhead - April 20, 2022, 07:15:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHNELRnJ_4Y
Please pass the salt?  Battery?

If this turns out true I'll be all over it! :D