Main Menu

Recent posts

Referral Links / Re: Wall Plugin for SketchUp
Last post by Medeek - September 05, 2022, 02:27:30 AM
Version 3.0.2 - 09.05.2022
- Enabled custom materials for wall framing within the global settngs.
- Enabled custom materials within the "Wall Framing Material" parameter for all wall types.

With this update you are no longer constrained to set number of material/texture options for the wall framing.  You can now use your own custom material for wall framing.  The update was also per customer request.
Last post by Medeek - September 03, 2022, 09:49:15 AM
Version 3.0.1 - 09.03.2022
- Added a "Label Location" parameter for windows: AUTO, INT, EXT.
- Added a "Label Location" parameter for doors: AUTO, INT, EXT.

You can now manually configure the window and door labels to be on the interior or exterior of the wall on a per opening basis.  The feature added per customer request.
General Forum / 20x30 build questions
Last post by Nims8582 - August 29, 2022, 04:06:39 PM
Hi guys. Trying to build a vacation cabin for my family. Have any of you completed the 20x30 single story with a loft, vaulted ceiling and pier and post foundations? Also, pictures help tremendously. Other advice I need in WA state is the cheapest legal way for grey water. 

Did you all need an engineer for the permitting process with the included drawings? 
Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Maine Mountainside 20 x 32...
Last post by Nims8582 - August 29, 2022, 04:00:49 PM
In case I missed it, did you use any of the plans from this website for this build (I.e., 20x30 single story or 1.5 story)?
Referral Links / Re: Truss Calculators
Last post by Medeek - August 29, 2022, 01:39:15 AM
Version 3.1.8 - 08.29.2022
- Added a parameter into the general tab of the global settings to allow for adjustment of the size of labels and annotations.
- Added a parameter into the general tab of the global settings to allow for adjustment of the font for text found within annotations and labels.
- Added a "resolution" parameter into the general tab of the global settings for adjusting the smoothness of annotation text.
- Added a "Label Rotation" parameter (0 or 180 degrees).
- Enabled various annotation options/parameters for truss roofs.

Basically just bringing some of the annotation formatting options over from the Wall Plugin.  I will still need to enable these options for rafter roofs, hip sets and complex roofs.  This update per user request.
General Forum / Re: Alternative septic for sma...
Last post by Don_P - August 27, 2022, 07:41:11 AM
Directly, no. I looked into it a fair amount over the years. Methane is the simplest hydrocarbon and the most potent greenhouse gas. In producing it, don't lose any. When burned it produces water and CO2, the greenhouse gas most folks worry about. It is in the shallow carbon loop, that is current sunlight so in my mind it is carbon neutral, you aren't digging up old sequestered carbon and releasing it, you are recirculating current carbon.

The Chinese and Indians developed more substantial small farm sized methane digesters in the 70's. One person to google from then might be Ram Bux Singh, or his Gobar Gas Plant.

The bacteria live in 2 fairly narrow temperature ranges, or I guess produce well in narrow ranges of temperature, nutrient and ph conditions. Earth temp bacteria work but are slow. The real producers are up around body heat. That can be a chore to maintain in some climates without maintaining and burning product to maintain temps. The one I built but never tried in the back yard was a Mother Earth 55 gallon black drum with a weather balloon for gas storage. I was going to build a compost pile around it for warmth. Who knows, it might work  :D
Last post by Medeek - August 26, 2022, 07:37:28 AM
Version 3.1.7 - 08.26.2022
- Enabled the following 3D roof cladding material for shed rafter roofs: Metal.

Owner-Builder Projects / Re: Okanogan 14x24 by a lurker...
Last post by OlJarhead - August 26, 2022, 07:09:21 AM
It's been a whirlwind since that tip and a short one following it!  I have a fair bit of video to put together but I did this little review when we were there.  If you don't have a battery powered chainsaw, check this out!  WOW!  I am impressed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhdMnFcDTw
Land: Buy, Sell, Find / Re: Offgrid home in the Sierra...
Last post by Dave Sparks - August 24, 2022, 06:58:57 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cqAqHcoFQG6EGU1y6

The pix is from the backyard here, over that mountain, a 20 minute drive, is Heavenly Valley ski area and Stateline Lake Tahoe.

We saw Robert Plant and his lady there Saturday night. We are having way to much fun not having wild fires to take up our time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fajsz0nPwtQ

Cheers !
Off Topic - Ideas, humor, inspiration / Re: Electric Fencing
Last post by cbc58 - August 24, 2022, 12:19:49 PM
I have been researching trying to keep mice out of an off grid - seldom visited wooden shed/cabin and there appears to be 3 ways you can do it:  electricity, smells and sounds.   I have a friend that has successfully used a solar powered electric fence to keep critters out of his veggie garden and away from his fruit trees.  They are very industrious though... and he had to tinker with the height setting because they dug under the electric fence once. 

Not sure if that helps.  Let us know if what you do works... curious to see what is successful or not..