20X30 Cottage in North Carolina

Started by Osprey, March 11, 2009, 07:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osprey

Starting to make some progress after toughing out what locals call the worst winter in this area in 20 years. Lots of rock slides I-40, sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway and The Tail of The Dragon all closed because of large rock slides. In some cases it will take months to clear.

It has been tough on us as well snow,mud and cold. Repeat.

Starting the insulation. We passed our framing, rough electrical, mechanical and rough plumbing inspection.

I had a mini-split heat pump system installed. Some pics of the refrigerant, condensation and electrical lines in the wall where it will live. This is a 2 zone system with a 15K btu evaporator in the living room and a 9K btu for the bedroom/hall/bathroom area. It is supposed to be very efficient with a 16 SEER rating.

I painted around 250 hardie planks before it was put up so the first coat of paint is on. I like the grayish green color but still can't make up my mind on the trim and windows.

Deck railing and stairs are done too. I like how the stairs turned out even though it was a little tight.

I asked the building inspector how the others building in the area fared and he said I was the only one still working. It's amazing how 8K+ in tax credits can motivate you. Still not sure if I will make the June 30 deadline for occupancy. If not it won't be because I didn't try.  ;D

Hope everyone's projects survived the winter.

MountainDon

Quote from: Osprey on March 27, 2010, 08:18:27 PM
I like the grayish green color but still can't make up my mind on the trim and windows.

Are you leaving the PT wood to age naturally or going to try to stop color fading with a finish of some kind? Maybe trying a paint color that approximates the PT wood color for trim?
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Osprey

Quote from: MountainDon on March 27, 2010, 08:33:28 PM
Quote from: Osprey on March 27, 2010, 08:18:27 PM
I like the grayish green color but still can't make up my mind on the trim and windows.

Are you leaving the PT wood to age naturally or going to try to stop color fading with a finish of some kind? Maybe trying a paint color that approximates the PT wood color for trim?

Yes. I plan on using a semi transparent stain after a couple more months. Some of the deck is newer than others and I was told I should wait for at least 3 months. I am considering the cedar looking almost goldish color. The trim I around the windows and corners I am thinking a gloss similar to the roof.

To me picking the colors are the hardest decisions to make. I HATE it. All suggestions are welcome.

Osprey

Here is the plan for finishing the interior beams and ceiling. Already ordered the "rustic pine" flavored fake laminate planks.   ::)

texasgun

Your cabin is looking great. Can you tell us more about the ceiling treatment you are planing and price. In the area we live in tounge and groove is not cheap since we have nothing local in the way of trees or mills but a laminated alternitave sounds interesting.
WEST TEXAS

cbc58

looks good.  really like the covered porch.  can you give us an idea of your budget/spend to date?... and what you are shooting for total?

Osprey

Quote from: texasgun on March 27, 2010, 10:19:54 PM
Your cabin is looking great. Can you tell us more about the ceiling treatment you are planing and price. In the area we live in tounge and groove is not cheap since we have nothing local in the way of trees or mills but a laminated alternitave sounds interesting.

Thanks. The ceiling will be done using Armstrong ceiling planks.

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na/ceilings/en/us/prod_detail.asp?itemId=97045

Cost for the planking is around $1200. While I like real wood I considered several things. The laminate will not shrink twist or dry out. It will be finished out of the box and with the 48" spacing of my "beams" it should go up fairly easily. The product directions call for furing strips to be installed first to level the planks but with my "beams" breaking up the long runs I should have no problem keeping it level and straight.

Osprey

Quote from: cbc58 on March 28, 2010, 07:02:04 AM
looks good.  really like the covered porch.  can you give us an idea of your budget/spend to date?... and what you are shooting for total?

Rough estimate to date.

Cabin to date including metal roof, hardie siding, deck and basement framing- $36,000

Deck piers- $2,000

Footers, cement block and slab- $10,000 (including the rock having to be blasted and site work)

Well and pump- $8,000

Septic system- $2,000

Plumbing and electrical- around $5,000 when complete

Mini-Split Heat Pump - $3,500  

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/itemDetail.asp?ProductSubCategoryID=151&ProductCategoryID=24&ProductID=1499

My labor- FREE

Trying to keep under $80,000 so cutting it close.

devildog

QuoteCabin to date including metal roof, hardie siding, deck and basement framing- $36,000

Osprey, Thanks for the pricing. Im hoping to have mine dried in with $35,000 because thats all I have. And try to finish it as I go.
Your place looks great. Is there anything you wish you would have done, But now it may be too late. The reason I ask is that im just getting started, and want to make sure Ive considered everything.
Thanks, Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Osprey

I would have planned out the basement better and I would have pre positioned several loads of soil where it would be more easily accessed after the cabin was framed.

devildog

I sometimes wish I was doing a basement.I have a great slope for a walkout,but we're trying to do this without borrowing money.

Do you have power to your 27' camper? If so, what did the electric co. require you to do as far as putting up a pole? Im wanting to set one on our property,but havent asked yet because my driveway is still not cut down and rocked yet. But next week looks like it could be dry from tuesday on.

I was just looking back over your build and noticed the 20' floor trusses. Could you let me know how much you payed for those? Im wanting to compare them against what it will cost me for block piers,a center built up beam,floor joist,and metal hangers. If cost is close,those look to be easier and faster.
I wonder the same thing about roof trusses. By the time you buy a 30' or 32'(for mine)laminate beam,2x12 rafters(for proper insulation),wouldn't it be just about as cost effective to buy trusses?I definetly want it vaulted.Sorry to rattle on,I think Im going to ask these same questions on general forum.

I do pay close attention to your build,you look like you know what your doing. Your also not too far from my wifes parents, they live in sevierville,TN.

I hope you meet the deadline for your tax credit.
Darrell
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Osprey

Quote from: devildog on March 28, 2010, 10:11:09 PM

I sometimes wish I was doing a basement.I have a great slope for a walkout,but we're trying to do this without borrowing money.

Do you have power to your 27' camper? If so, what did the electric co. require you to do as far as putting up a pole? Im wanting to set one on our property,but havent asked yet because my driveway is still not cut down and rocked yet. But next week looks like it could be dry from tuesday on.

I was just looking back over your build and noticed the 20' floor trusses. Could you let me know how much you payed for those? Im wanting to compare them against what it will cost me for block piers,a center built up beam,floor joist,and metal hangers. If cost is close,those look to be easier and faster.
I wonder the same thing about roof trusses. By the time you buy a 30' or 32'(for mine)laminate beam,2x12 rafters(for proper insulation),wouldn't it be just about as cost effective to buy trusses?I definetly want it vaulted.Sorry to rattle on,I think Im going to ask these same questions on general forum.

I do pay close attention to your build,you look like you know what your doing. Your also not too far from my wifes parents, they live in sevierville,TN.

I hope you meet the deadline for your tax credit.
Darrell

Same thing I did. Planned on no basement but it end I have an unfinished basement. I am glad I went ahead and spent the extra money for the slab. I already had the windows so beside the slab it wasn't that much more to do the basement. I framed a utility room in the basement for the water heater and well control box. I am glad I have the basement now. The basement will also be a plus if I sell the cabin at some point. If you do decide on a basement consider your septic tank placement as it needs to be below the basement if you want to put in a bathroom later. I didn't so I would have to pump the waste up.

I paid $1400 for the floor trusses. The rest of the cabin is stick built. 2x10 rafters leave room for r-30 insulation. They are 16" trusses so that was one less row of block in the basement needed to get to grade than if I had used 2x12 joists.

I bought the power pole used for $75 dollars. It is set about 3 ft in the ground and braced to the sides. In order to get power I was required to have a septic permit and building permit. It took Duke energy 2 months to finally hook me to the grid. I was without power for just a short time while staying in the camper. The hardest part was bringing in water until the well and pump was in.

I wouldn't spend too much on the road as the cement trucks and other vehicles will keep it torn up. Just get it stable and do the permanent road after you are done.

I am learning as I go and have made plenty of mistakes so take my opinions with a grain of salt. Hope this helps.

Osprey

Been awhile since I updated so I thought I would post a few pix of my progress.

I painted the bead board on the ground that I used on the deck ceiling. It took 2 coats of primer per sheet and I also put 2 coats of finish paint on each of the 25 sheets it took to do the deck ceiling.

Here's a photo of the ventilation chutes on the cathedral ceiling before I installed the insulation. The insulation took a lot longer than I expected. Glad that is over until I move down below in the basement to insulate the floor.

It took a week for the guys to do the drywall including the beams. It took 89 sticks of corner bead.

One of the pocket doors disappearing behind drywall.

Beams

Laid the sewer line.

Starting the final "landscaping" so of course we had to destroy the driveway to save it, AGAIN.

Erosion control. Planted grass.  

Drywall is done and I have started priming the walls. I will start on the planking for the cathedral ceiling next.

More photos soon.

pocono_couple

things are looking great!  I really like the look of the bead board for the porch ceilings.  how thick are the sheets that you used? 

Osprey

Quote from: pocono_couple on May 17, 2010, 11:29:53 AM
things are looking great!  I really like the look of the bead board for the porch ceilings.  how thick are the sheets that you used? 

The bead board was surprisingly thin, just under 3/8 inch. It soaked up the paint though. We put it up with staples and nails along the edges. We were originally going to go with rough ply but the bead board had only two seams that needed trim. It was a lot less work and I like the look. Not looking forward to the final coat of paint though.

Osprey

Thought I would give a quick update.

We have had good weather and have been making steady progress. I even got a chance to go out on the lake for a bit. A little rainy but the area really lived up to the "Smokey's" name.

I now have the cabin primed and installed the ceiling planks. Very time consuming but I am happy with the result. I still have to finish the trim.

The hill I planted the grass on really filled in fast. I have planted English Ivy and it has also started spreading fast.  I think I have the hill stabilized fairly well. I was worried about torrential rains during hurricane season. I even transplanted a cactus I found growing near by. The moss grows all over the rocks here so I have been moving some to the rocks I exposed in the hill.

Got 2 coats of paint on in the bedroom and bathroom. Here's the bedroom.

Took a picture of this hawk off the porch. Not many squirrels  since he has been around.

Working on electrical and moving the well pump controller into the utility room in the basement.

Here is the ceiling fans on the porch

Doesn't look like I am going to make the deadline for the tax credit which really hurts. The winter weather is what did me in. Just too much left to do and not enough time to finish and still do a good job.  :(

cbc58

is that lake fontana?... or another one?  any trout in that lake?  where do you put in?  looks beautiful.

those beams look like alot of work... but nice when done.

Osprey

Quote from: cbc58 on June 06, 2010, 01:40:42 PM
is that lake fontana?... or another one?  any trout in that lake?  where do you put in?  looks beautiful.

those beams look like alot of work... but nice when done.

No, It is Lake Santeetlah. A neighbor has let me keep my Carolina Skiff in the water at his place. I have caught trout and bass so far. I went to Lake Fontana as well but didn't catch a thing. Still getting a feel for the area. A friend came up on his bike and we took turns riding the Dragon. I may have to get me another one to ride. This area is just perfect for motorcycles.

John Raabe

Nice work Osprey  :D

I like you ceiling treatment and the exposed trusswork.

What a wonderful location!
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Osprey

Quote from: John Raabe on June 06, 2010, 01:56:29 PM
Nice work Osprey  :D

I like you ceiling treatment and the exposed trusswork.

What a wonderful location!

Thanks John, The trusses was one of the reasons I chose to build your plan. It really opens up the room and is a convenient place to run wires for lights and surround sound system.

The trusses were a TON of work. I will be painting them flat white as they are a bit wavy. ;D

I love it up here. I can open up a view of the lake but I just can't bring myself to cut anymore trees.

astidham

Osprey you cottage is looking great!
"Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice"
— Henry Ford

MountainDon

Your cabin is looking fine Osprey.   

We covet your greenery and the ease of growing. Here in our mountains of NM it's a slower process. Much drier and a shorter growing season.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

kalstar

The tax credit was extended through Sept (does this apply to your situation).............will you make that date?

Rys

Your pictures are not showing up. Do you have them posted anywhere else?
Would love to "see" your build!