Started by jaransont3, March 18, 2013, 04:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaransont3

Quote from: MountainDon on April 04, 2013, 09:43:36 AM
[cool]   what metal are they?

They are yellow bronze (brass).

Quote from: Abbey on April 04, 2013, 09:53:39 AM
Would stove black work?

Stove black just might do it.  Didn't think of that.  I have some too for the cast iron boxwood stove we use for heat.  hhmmm....  Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried liver of sulphur.  It is supposed to turn brass and copper dark brown or black.  Didn't do anything to these.  There are other recipes for adding patina to brass/bronze online that I might try.  I like the stove black suggestion the best though.

I just think they look off in the yellow/gold color when the rest of the stove is black, white, and silver.
John Jaranson
Home: Dearborn, MI  Cabin: Iron Range, MN

jaransont3

Jill and I are a little disappointed we didn't make the trip up to the cabin this weekend.  Just too far to go for a 3 day weekend.  Planning on going for the week of the July 4th now.

Anyway I decided to tackle a little project for the cabin this weekend.  About a month ago I picked up a load of rough sawn wide pine boards and some 2"+ thick, rough sawn cedar planks.

The wide pine will be used for some of the interior trim at the cabin.  The cedar was for some adirondack chairs for the porch. So yesterday I started out by planing all the cedar down to 1-1/2" and 1" thick planks.

After modifying the plans I had to better fit the material I had available, I made some full-scale templates and started cutting out the pieces.

I managed to get one of them fully assembled.

I still need to decide what I want to do for a finish and assembly the other chair.  They are super comfortable....

Perfect for relaxing after a long day with a cup of Diet Mountain Dew...
John Jaranson

new land owner

jaransont3

Thanks.

Got the second chair assembled today.  Had enough cedar left over to build a small side table to match.  Jill got them all sealed up with some Thompson's Water Seal.  Should be good to go for a long time and they shouldn't turn too grey with the UV blocker in the Thompson's.  Can't wait to get them up to the cabin and start enjoying them on our porch or deck.

I hope everyone a good and safe holiday weekend.  We are jealous of those of you that got to spend it at your cabin.
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

Wow!  I should try that!

Did you use a jig saw or do you have a bandsaw?

tommytebco

OlJarhead

Thanks!

Where did you get the plans?  I'd like to try that and I'm sure they are all over the place but if you have a link that'd be easier :)

jaransont3

Yup, I used a jigsaw.  Bandsaw would probably make better cuts, but for a rustic porch chair the jigsaw worked great and it is what I had.

As for plans, this is the one that I used/modified. http://plansnow.com/achairottom.html  I modified it some to fit the wood that I had available.  I made a  photocopy of these plans over 10 years ago and just now got around to building them.  8)
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

Cool thanks!  I'll have to try this since I have plenty of wood (pine) and saws :)

ponygirl1

Very pretty grates. As an artist I appreciate neat details. I will be in bear lake Mi but we our commute is  800 miles right now. We live in Delaware so we will be doing some driving at first. Brad will go to his dads house in Westland so he can work at our place for a few days then go to Westland for a few. We are looking to complete in 3-5 years but have a livable space in one. I can appreciate the dedication this will take and all the dedication you are giving your cabin. Good luck.

considerations

OlJarhead

Bought those plans thanks :)  Now I will be trying to make my first chair!

OlJarhead

Made my first chair but could not get the templates online :(  The link they have on he plans doesn't work.  I've sent an email to them seeing if they can provide a new one.

Did you have full scale templates?  Or freehand like I did mine?

jaransont3

I created full-scale hardboard templates from gridded drawings in article I had.   

Post some pictures of your chair.
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

I did! lol  Only in my cabin thread ;) But here are a couple:

I did a screen capture on the PDF then cut out the grid, blew it up to scale and printed it out on multiple sheets.  Then I pinned it to some pine and drew it out.  I'm going to make more permanent templates using some 1/4" ply I think as I'll be making several of these!

We love the chair and while I goofed a couple times (like when I drew out the curve for the upper back support which is why you see the first pic above -- I'm re-cutting it now) but otherwise it worked out VERY nicely!

jaransont3

Looks great.  What stain did you use?
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

Golden Oak.  We like the way it stains the blue stained pine.

rick91351

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

OlJarhead

Because I posted earlier about the template here's a shot of the chair with the new upper support :)  It makes quite a bit of difference!

jaransont3

Jill and I are getting excited. A week from today we are heading to the cabin for the week of the 4th. We are looking forward to getting some more projects done there and enjoying some R&R amd family time.
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

Sounds like us!  Every time we plan a trip we just get excited! :D

jaransont3

Over the last couple of days I have been working to get the dining chairs for the cabin done.  I finally got all the pieces sanded and then got them stained...

got them all glued up...

and got a couple of coats of polyurethane on them...

I even got the leaf for the table finished...

Just in time for our trip to the cabin next week.
John Jaranson

OlJarhead

OK I can't keep up with that!  WOW!

Maybe some day though!

Mike 870

Very nice work, tapering legs, mortising, hand scraping?  Looks like an advanced project!