Man hours?

Started by schiada, September 14, 2011, 06:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schiada

So I am going to build the 1 1/2 story home but it will be 42' long ,not the 30' in the plans.
How many man hours to get it closed in? Wood part only. ???
Randall

John Raabe

Sorry, I don't have a good estimate for you. Too many variables. I can say it took about 2.5 people about 6 weeks to frame the Solar Saltbox home to a weather-tight shell. That's a bigger house.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Ndrmyr

As John said, the variables here make any estimate here more difficult than guessing a woman's natural hair color.  Your skill and motivation levels, weather, access to tools and supplies, efficiencies decrease when working 14 hour days on the weekend rather than 8 hour days through the week, etc. That being said, if you are a DIYer, expect that it will take at least twice as long as you think, but, more likely 3 to 4 times as long as you think.  NOT twice as long as an expert, longer than YOU think.  Taking into account the days you stand around scratching your head wondering what to do, or the days you tear it out and do it right. DAMHIKT!
Make lists, try to get everything you need, avoid trips for things you forgot and you might get it done in the time you hope and then again....
"A society that rewards based on need creates needy citizens. A society that rewards based on ability creates able one."

MountainDon

Others have said much of what I think as far as estimating time.    My 2 cents..... The actual time it takes you to put this together will be somewhat in inverse proportion to the amount of time you spend thinking the process through before even buying a stick of lumber. Taking the plans and working through each and every step along the way before buying a stick of lumber. If you have not built before you will come up with all sorts of questions as to how something should be done. Thinking and drawing all the way through the process will help prevent making errors that mess up something else further down the process.

Also don't believe everything you see done on the internet as good solid practice. Sometimes the same might be said for the odd thing here and there in books.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

Depends on the quality and experience of the help too.  An out of work framing crew could do it quick - maybe for a reasonable price.  Someone with little or no experience could take months.. but still get it done.

In the 80's a fly by night contractor found a framer that would do about a 1600 sf house and garage for $1 per square foot.  The quality was crap with some walls out of plumb up to 3" but my point is that there could be some relatively good deals out there now from better quality help too.  I did the plumbing on the cheap framed houses......
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.