The Big Enchilada Plans Kit

Started by paul s, August 10, 2010, 06:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul s

I am thinking of buying  these plans to use as a reference, I love the basic idea.  I am thinking of something similar with all shed roofs.  The front center of the home will be 14' x 14' two story.  a 14 ' x 14' one story behind it.  a 12' x 16' wing [master beedroom] another 12' x 12 or 16 wing sunroom or second mater.  Do you think the plans will be a good reference.  I am thinking that with all that is included it would be.

and what do you think of the shed roof idea  iI choose it due to ease of construction and also that iI think it will fit the setting nicely.

thanks
paul

John Raabe

You could get a good start with the plans in the Enchilada. I would suggest you use the foundation and floor framing of the Builder's Cottage (14' wide), especially for the two story section. This footing and foundation wall may need to be enlarged somewhat for two story loads.

The shed roofs could work out fine and you can change the slopes to provide some variety.

Once you get a floor plan worked up we can help with suggestions for rafter sizes, etc.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

paul s

are the stairs in the plans ones that meet most codes.  Just wondering.

thanks

John Raabe

The tiny loft in the 14x24 has a ladder stair. Most codes do not require a stair for access to areas under 250 sf.

Be aware that the 14' is pretty narrow for a two-story building (the 20' Universal works well). The Enchilada is designed for houses with a one story floor plan plus small lofts.
None of us are as smart as all of us.