Missouri Ozarks - 2 1/2 acres

Started by Epiphany, February 03, 2005, 11:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epiphany

2 ½ acres in Wright County Missouri $6,000.  40 miles to Springfield.  6 miles to small town, 14 miles to county seat.  Electric, cable, phone at the road.  Will need septic and well.  Mostly wooded but cleared in the center.  Wet weather creek at southern tip of level, pie shaped parcel on county-maintained road.  Blackberries in July.  Four distinct seasons.  People seem to be friendly but private, with very traditional values.  Low taxes, few deed restrictions, rumored to not have code restrictions but would need to verify.

DavidLeBlanc

Flat or hilly? Summer and winter average temperatures? Average annual rainfall please? :)

Epiphany

Hi David, I lived a few hours north of the Ozarks in Kansas City, but I'll take a stab at your questions.  They have four distinct seasons - spring with lots of blooms and greenery, summer with heat and humidity (not as hot as Texas, not as cool as Seattle), beautiful colorful falls, and winter with some snow (nothing like Michigan or New York).  The land itself is level, mostly wooded, but cleared in the middle.  Rainfall averages around 40 - 45 inches a year.  Winter temps average in the 20s and 30s, summer highs about 90.  Both roads are kept in pretty good shape because they're school bus routes and also mail routes.  Let me know if you have any more questions.

DavidLeBlanc

Tempting - but so far away from Washington and/or the beach! :(

At my age, 90 degree summers almost sound divine! The chilly winters on the other hand... I can almost envision the dark, dank, leafless trees glowering outside my window...

Amanda_931

I really love winter woods--warm browns, taupes, grays, with the startling tan of the young beech trees, and green with red cedar (Juniperus virginiana), holly and pines, stands of bamboo--native or otherwise.

not to mention no ticks, no mosquitoes.

Epiphany

I love the four distinct seasons, but grew tired - at least in Kansas City - of the brutally cold winters.  If I could have stayed at home and enjoyed nature, moving at my own pace, it would have been fine.  But having to get out, scrape the car, drive on the roads in rush hour - not fun in a winter setting.  
One nice thing about cold winters is that allergies are usually better because all the bad guys get killed off in the cold.

I agree with Amanda, though, about the leafless trees and their shades of brown.  Something serene and calming about it.

chris

So, where about in Wright county??  I still have family in the area.  I grew up in Cabool, and have family in Mt. Grove and Ava.  ???  I would maybe be interested if in the right area, I do like the Southern part of the county around the river on hwy 95/76.  Thanks, Chris  Tulsa OK  w0ace@yahoo.com

Epiphany

Hi Chris, the property is 6 miles out of Grovespring, off M and DD.

chris

Well, that's not the area I was hoping for, but the next weekend we go back, we'll go drive thru that area and look around.  I know where the intersection is at, I looked it up on Yahoo Maps, so I kinda know where its at.  We have the little house plans and are looking for a place to build it.  I will be out of school here in about 6 months, and have an Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics rating to work on aircraft and looking for some place to build on then ASAP!  I'll sure be glad to be out of OKLAHOMA for good!  We really hate it here!  Are talking about going back to MO or NW Arkansas.  I'll keep in touch, thanks...Chris  w0ace@yahoo.com  

Epiphany

If you can pull up this site, it will give you specifics.  Mine is parcel B.

http://www.ozarkland.com/ForestNiangua/D/a.htm

afternoonwillow

hey, went to the site you gave..couldn't figure out which was yours, sorry..slow brain day..is this still available?  I saw similar size properties for much higher rates, what's up..she says with a smile! let me know, ok?  I was checking out Tennessee, but, know lots of folks in this area...thanks, willow
willow

Epiphany

Hi afternoonwillow,

Thanks for your interest, but I recently sold it.  

It was on the market for three years.  Everyone kept telling me it was overpriced for the area.  Go figure....   :)

afternoonwillow

how did you like your experience with the sellers?  they have a few parcels I like, are they easy to deal with? Honest? was the land what they said it was? am I asking too many questions? :-[thanks, willow
willow