Food for thought- Building extreme hunger

Started by benevolance, April 05, 2006, 02:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnaJ

October and we are still getting the crabs :o.....by the bushel, hehe, but now we are adding clams and oysters and some humongous shrimp.....

Best part is it's all FREE, just need a net, a rake and some bait for the crabs.......

Sassy

Ummmm, that all sounds yummy!  (except the oysters, tho Glenn likes em)

We have a fish market across the street from the hospital I work at - they make some wonderful shrimp - they clean them real well & then put some type of light batter, it's almost like a tempura, but there is just a bit of it here & there on the shrimp, then they fry it with onions & hot peppers - that's the way I order them, they have just a bit of crispiness here & there on the outside - you can get a 1/2 lb (after cooking)for about $4.50 - they also make excellent bass - we order from there quite often.  

When I lived in Washington state, we used to go out on the dock in Blaine & drop our crab pots in - had to watch the tides - sometimes would go out at midnight - then cook up a pot - the meat is great just out of the shell or make crab cakes - I used to have a good recipe for crab casserole - don't know if i can find it.
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Ummm Glenn

I would say sorry I cannot share that experience...But I am not exactly sorry I have never had crabs*LOL* ;D ;D ;D

We both know you meant the shellfish right ;)

I took my wife to the beach for vacation in April and we bought a net and dropped it in the salt marsh river on sunset island....Which is just north of Myrtle beach....

Chicken worked best for bait we caught a boatload of crabs...They were kind of small though...It took lots to get enough meat for a stew...

Was sort of like a chowder with Potatoes and corn...Pretty darn good if you ask me...

But yes seafood is awesome....

It used to be so cheap...Growing up in Atlantic Canada they have the best seafood in the world! But lobster now is like 8-10 bucks a pound...Where as 15 years ago it was $2-3 bucks a pound.

We used to fish Mackerel when they were running...Take out the row boat and you could fish it until the boat was full...

Sea Trout...Cod were also easy to catch...Tougher to catch flounder or halibut....But we caught them too

And it was all amazing!

Canada needs to wake the hell up and start enforcing/ protecting the grand banks.. the european trawlers are devastating the fishing breeding grounds and it is seriously depleating the stocks...

I would recommend sinking a few fishing boats and slaughtering the fishermen....maybe that would detur overfishing.

Okay that was harsh....Seize the boat and sell it off..Give the catch to the soup kitchens to feed the poor and homeless and sell off the fishing boat back in canada...

Throw all the crew in prison...or better yet let them off on one of the islands off the coast of the Gaspe penninsula...and notify their countries of origin...Make them come get the bastards

What has been happening is trawlers sneak over the fishing boundaries dragging massive nets...knowing it takes time for a frogate to get out there or the coast guard...They slip back into "international waters" after they have caught their fill in protected canadian waters.

I say it is time to start opening fire...Sink a few ships seize the rest...Let small european countries be mad at us...maybe they will tell their fisherman to stay the hell out of our water.....And maybe then the fishing stocks would return to semi normal so we could enjoy seafood in Canada....

They stopped the Commerical Cod Fishery in Canada about 12 years ago or so...It still has not been brought back....Canada is trying to let the fish replenish  their numbers....But iceland, russia, Spain, Portugal just fish them at will...Bringing in record catches because Canada has stopped fishing

As much as I hate to say it...They need a right wing psycho for a leader for a few days....Like Bush who would go and blow up some stuff....Severly overreact...create a international mess....

At least the fish would be saved.. ;)

Amanda_931

Rice can be more than just styrofoam peanuts.

I like sushi rice--if you're using brown rice, add about 20% (brown) mochi rice to make it nice and sticky.  When it's cooked but still hot, mix with rice vinegar and a bit of sweetener.  Roll it up with sheets of seaweed--nori.  It can be filled with a lot of things, from rehydrated dried gourd--hard to get around here, steamed carrots or mustard greens, or, if you have a source for really good quality, really fresh tuna or salmon, raw fish.  With the other stuff is fine.  In Hawaii, you occasionally got Spam cut in little slivers, especially if they were going to let it sit at an outdoor vending stand for hours.  Sushi does refer to vinegared rice, not raw fish.

Serve with pickled ginger, shoyu, and wasabi--or Coleman's English--mustard.  That last was the standard in Hawaii in the 60's.

There are zillions of kinds of rice.  Even the short medium and long grain white ones vary.  Sometimes Wild Oats has black or red rice, which I've never quite figured out how to use.

benevolance

Amanda

Not to start an arguement...But if you have to put vinegar and honey and garlic in rice to make it taste like something...Isn't that the same thing as styrofoam peanuts?

I mean if you soaked the styrofoam with the same things and baked it slow with fish wouldn't it too absorb all those  flavours...

Now if you like that sort of thing.. meaning that you enjoy the quality of rice not to have any flavour of it's own and to inherit the flavours of everything else...Cool

I could never warm up to rice because it contributed nothing to the meal... Plus 99% of the rice you see in the Grocery store has almost no nutritional value.

I could see the arguement for eating whole grain brown rice prepared properly as it is very, very good for you!

The best rice recipe I have is taking whole grain brown rice and adding chicken soup powder from the bulk barn....And then boiling chicken breasts and skinning them to remove excess fat... Taking the Chicken and spicing it up with lemon pepper and Tony Ketchers.....And baking  the chicken and serving the rice on the side... Almost no fat all the nutritional value from the rice and the rice has some flavour to it. Not gourmet... but not bad if you want to keep it simple.

The chicken soup powder cooked with the rice will add some flavour to the rice and it will co-incide nicely with the chicken.

Boiled white rice has no real nutritional value to it... So I see no point in eating it...

Amanda_931

The same could be said for pasta.

And a lot of bread.

???

benevolance

Amanda

I agree partially with pasta, and bread...I eat whole wheat pasta and I try to eat nothing but bread I make myself...Whole Wheat Brown Bread.

Pasta is a filler like Rice...So are potatoes...But Potatoes have a taste of their own and they are extremely good for you if you do not boil them and eat the skin...I like to slice them in half throw them on the grill in tin foil lightly spiced with pepper....

So I agree to an extent with your arguement....But most breads have more nurtitional value than boiled white rice...I do not think you can buy white bread anymore that is not enriched....Much like milk they throw in everything it lacks naturally... try to buy milk that does not have Iron in it...Unless you get to the farmer's milk before it goes off to the plant to be bottled

glenn kangiser

Rice is for weddings.

QuoteEleanor Rigby, picks up the rice
in the church where a wedding has been

Actually I went to the New Orleans school of cooking --one day class --- and learned to make some pretty good Jambalaya.  It used Uncle Bens converted rice though and nearly anything you had left in the fridge after the trinity --- (Celery, bell peppers and onions)

Just checked and they are still in business.  Kevin Belton was the chef that day.
http://www.nosoc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=6&Itemid=76

Here is a really good sounding recipe from their site.

Chef Anne's August Recipe           
Obscene Scalloped Potatoes

* 5 brown potatoes sliced very thin
   * 1 stick butter
   * Almost entire quart of whipping cream
   * 8-10 cloves of garlic chopped finely

Layer a casserole dish with some of potatoes, then garlic scattered around and 4-5 pats of butter.  Repeat until all ingredients have been used.  Pour whipping cream over everything about ½ way to size of pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until the top begins to turn a golden color.  Takes about 1 ½ hours.

I remember that Kevin said the important thing about Cajun cooking is not that it is good for you.  It is that it tastes good.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn

Neat recipe...And I imagine that most of our favorite dishes are less than perfect when we look closer at their nutritional value...Or scour them to count the fat, calories or Sodium...

Knowing what we know about clogged arteries...Stroke and Heart attack risks...How obesity is the main cause of type II diabetes.... More of us need to at least try to eat a little healthy.

They can repair most everything that happens to our joints, and eyes...So the quality of our lives past 65 need not be severly diminished. you can go get your cataracts done in an hour....Or spend just a few days in the hospital if you need your knee replaced.

I lost a good friend to Heart attack and he was only 49...Obesity is what killed him....I went out and lost 20 pounds and kept it off...I am not Svelte... 5' 10"  about 185 ish... I will never be completely healthy....I did cut out most of the fast food and I never ever liked candy or sweets.... If I could give up Coca Cola I think I would be in almost perfect health.

My wife and I try to cook decent meals with vegetables.. you know, a roasted chicken and either fish or a beef roast each week...left overs the next day. always have potatoes and  carrots on the side. And we go out to supper on the week-end.

Not perfect...But I think it helps to eat real non fast food. We switched to whole grains. And we stopped boiling our vegetables.

I threw out the deep fat fryer and bought a george foreman grille... It is amazing for cooking chicken breasts on...Just skin them spice them and throw them in the grille and the fat all drains off.

I refuse to stop enjoying food though...I mean we have homemade breads ...And  we make  beef stew and  hearty chicken soup. Other than drinking a little too much homemade beer I think it is pretty healthy around here.

I kind of think that good food is good...And if you use fresh ingredients and allow the natural flavours come out in foods... you will have a lot of success at preparing healthy meals that are delicious.

My favorite fast food is Wendys...I only have it about twice a month now... I miss it a little...But I don't miss the smell of warm bread in the oven or of a roast....

I tease my wife that she married me because I can cook...I used to laugh at the notion... but there might be something to it... :-/

CREATIVE1

QuoteRice can be more than just styrofoam peanuts.

I like sushi rice--if you're using brown rice, add about 20% (brown) mochi rice to make it nice and sticky.  When it's cooked but still hot, mix with rice vinegar and a bit of sweetener.  Roll it up with sheets of seaweed--nori.  It can be filled with a lot of things, from rehydrated dried gourd--hard to get around here, steamed carrots or mustard greens, or, if you have a source for really good quality, really fresh tuna or salmon, raw fish.  With the other stuff is fine.  In Hawaii, you occasionally got Spam cut in little slivers, especially if they were going to let it sit at an outdoor vending stand for hours.  Sushi does refer to vinegared rice, not raw fish.

Serve with pickled ginger, shoyu, and wasabi--or Coleman's English--mustard.  That last was the standard in Hawaii in the 60's.

There are zillions of kinds of rice.  Even the short medium and long grain white ones vary.  Sometimes Wild Oats has black or red rice, which I've never quite figured out how to use.

(O.K., so rice takes a little work to be yummy.)  Cook either brown or basmati rice in coconut milk and mix in fresh ground ginger.  Mmm, mmm, good!

FrankInWI

[size=12]"OK, CALL THE MEN IN, FOOD'S ON THE TABLE !"  

Somewhat regretably, FOOD is one of my favorite things.  How I tie it in to a building web site is to think of the meals prepared as reward for the work folk.  Mostly in the past this has been the women cooking for the men as the men labored on putting up the barn, shingle the roof, moving the belongings, etc. etc.  Oh to finally be called to the table after a hard morning of pulling together outside.  
What a great feeling of community, what a hunger is there by the time we stop.  What joy there is in just being together for a common good.  
Food? You bet, but it's just a part of the larger celebration.  [/size]
god helps those who help them selves

benevolance

Food is just a great excuse to share fellowship among your friends and family. Something that is not done enough today in my opinion.

Today my neighbor brought me over a huge  container of homemade beef stew still steamy hot...Saw me working outside all afternoon in the rain and  thought it might warm me up...

I was almost speechless....But regrettably there is not enough of this sort of thing going on in the world.... It is just a stone compared to the mountain....But food is a great way to tie a community together.

And it is great motivation for people working on the roof or building the garage...Smelling steaks on the grill or fresh bread being baked at the time seems all the payment in the world necessary for working all of your saturday morning helping friends and family.

glenn kangiser

Food was my only pay for helping my old dead uncle remodel the old homestead in Oregon, but it helped me to learn enough to take care of myself for the rest of my life up to and beyond the present.  My grandmother did the cooking - this uncle was actually my dads uncle -her brother.  She was a cook for lumber camps in the old days back then and she had also cooked at several restaurants.  She salted food when she cooked it - as it should be.  None of that bland tasting institutional food for us.   Mashed potatoes and gravy - roast -vegetables - homemade buns and pie and ice cream.  Nobody cooked as good as she did so the pay was enough.  Learning a trade was more than enough.

My uncle said the prayer before the meal "Good bread, good meat, good Lord, let's eat."

benevolance

I am not a deeply religous man... I like to keep the prayers simple and to the point also.

We had a guest recently come to our table some long lost cousin they wanted to say grace and he started speaking in tongues.... :-/

man that was pretty freaky deaky for me.... I always used  as a child:
"God is great, God is good; Let us thank God for this Food"

Sounds like we both had the same Grandmother cooking for us...I pestered my grandmother to teach me how to make Baked Bread, baked Beans, her Split Pea Soup with ham...rolls, Scalloped Potatoes....etc...

I love the wife...I was very sad when I had her cook our first meal together..I thought all women went to the same place to learn to cook and clean ::) :P :P ;)...Grandma she was not....Then again her Grandmother could cook the lights out too...We are talking unbelievable cook..Hopefully my wife grows into that kind of cook as we age!

Fortunately my wife is one that loves to  read recipes and learn new ways to prepare dishes....She makes Excellent Soups and stews...So now when she does the cooking it is A-ok too. I showed her how I cook a roast or Cjicken and she handles it perfectly.... I will not trust her to touching my bread yet....I would eventually like to show her that and then she could help me some.

glenn kangiser

Fishing guy got me going---

Quotefishing_guy

Re:  Garden thread.
Reply #150 - Jan 26th, 2007, 10:08am

Looks like the makings of cabbage rolls to me.

Brown hamburger and onions in a pan.  Add cabbage and cook until soft.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Roll out bread dough (we use frozen roll dough).  Cut into 4" x 4" squares.  Place a tablespoon of filling in the middle and fold from all sides.  Place folded side down on a cookie sheet and cook at 350F until lightly brown on top.  

Rub with butter while still warm.

A favorite of our family!

A bakery in Fresno used to make them and called them Piroshki's.  I guess they can have many kinds of filling including fruits.  

So I had to go to the store and get some Bridgeford bread dough - I'm still too lazy to make dough.

I used his recipe and went up to the garden and got just a small head of fennel and added it also.

I then proceeded to mess up the kitchen.  The dough - frozen can be microwaved a bit to thaw -- I cut it into about 1" rolls then somehow managed to get them stuck to both sides of my hands at the same time .  A bit of practice and that got better .  A little hamburger, an onion and some cabbage makes a ton of these things - I used two loaves of dough to get these poor mis-shapen little creatures you see below---- but I bet they will still taste good. :)  I'm sure I was supposed to get out a rolling pin and bread board and flour --- but you don't know how I cook.  I had a big enough mess already.  No -- the ugly stretchy pully  pizza guy method will have to do. :-?

glenn kangiser

OK -- here's what I got. :-/

Not too pretty but functional. :)

Amanda_931

Looks pretty good from here.

Alma (this year's helper) and I are cooking--often in the slow cooker--most of our lunches.  A few hits--a sausage/unsweetened cocoa chili (along with standard ingredients) that started out in a pressure cooker book.  A pumpkin stew, I've forgotten where we found it, chicken thighs with wine and capers and curry powder.

But sometimes we just throw stuff together.  It usually tastes like it when we do, too. ::)  

glenn kangiser

I gave they neighbor and his wife one each when they were fresh out of the oven.  In a few minutes he called back and said they were great - He had never had one before and didn't know what to expect when he got them, he said.  They loved them.  Seems when you have fresh bread you need to share it with someone.  Otherwise it seems like a waste.  I ate the four ugly ones.  Now I need to stop and freeze some for Sassy or I will be in trouble. :-/

Dimitri

Lots of interesting recipes here. :)

One thing I want to point out that all food needs salt, abit more salt then what they say is health, actually about 4 times the amount health experts say you need a day. Also Tabasco sauce is great on any food (just make sure you put the bottle on the table as a option some people might not be able to handle as much Tabasco as you can ;)).  ;D

All you neat for a quick healthy outdoor type snack is a can of spam (the meat stuff), some salt, maybe some Tabasco, take out a small camping pan and slice the spam into thin slices, salt them, and cook them alittle (sort of like cooking bacon) and enjoy with or without Tabasco sauce. :)

Sassy, worry less about your size and worry more about having fun in life, you only live life once, so enjoy it to the fullest. If your physiclly fit/active nothing else matters, keep eating anything you like, worry about the weight as a 2nd though.  8-)

PS. You might say Spam isnt healthy but I say it tastes good so it is!  ;)

Dimitri

glenn kangiser

Spam - the favorite food of Hawaii.  

I agree on the salt -- My grandmother always used salt as necessary to make food taste good.  I don't worry about how much I use and don't have any problems from it either.  Salt restricted diets are for people who have problems with salt - not the rest of the world.

Sassy has always worried about the extra calories (per her posts) but she doesn't really have that much of a problem.  In the old days, before the anorexic super model, she would have been considered a lightweight. :)

Here is a picture of the magnet painting I put on the fridge in the other place -
considered healthy in cultures other than Hollywood.  Sassy has a long ways to go to get there :)  Warning -birthday suit painting -

Fernando Botero -Woman Eating An Apple-

fishing_guy

Very nice job on the cabbage rolls.  :) Looks as good as any we've made here.

It used to be my mother-in-law's passion, but when she passed on 10 years ago it became my job.  It's always nice to learn something from another generation!
A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

glenn kangiser

Sassy made another batch -- we have been eating the heck out of these things.  I just commissioned the death of another of my prize heads of cabbage.  These are great because you can freeze then nuke them for a quick meal.

My son came over with his family the other day.  Doesn't like cabbage or onions.  We talked him into trying one.  He asked for 2 more. :)  BTW -- he's not a little kid -- he's in his 30's

youngins

Wife calls them Runza's - there is a chain of restaurants in Nebraska by the name. They sell all sorts of different kinds.

The recipe above makes some tiny Runza's. Wendy makes them a bit bigger - but still the same VERY GOOD EATS!!!
"A spoonfull of sugar helps the medicine go down.."

glenn kangiser

How about some of those recipes for more good stuff from the garden. :)