Builder's Cottage v. Little House

Started by Gladey, January 24, 2007, 09:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladey

I bought the Enchilada plans a few weeks ago and love them! I've been pouring over them the past few nights. We definitely wan to go 14 x 24, and were planning on a porch along the long side. My question is this: what is really the difference between the builder's cottage and the 14 x 24 little house? More headroom in the loft? Also, does the materials list for the little house more or less apply to the builder's coottage? I'm pretty new to this, so please spell it out for me!

John Raabe

The Builder's Cottage (the large sized drawing in your Enchilada set) has the 2x6 walls and the concrete foundation. The same sized house (14x24) is in the Little House plans (fat white envelope) as well but it has 2x4 walls and the post and pier foundation.

The builders cottage is easier to get a building permit with and is a better choice for a full-time small house in a colder (or hotter) climate.

If you want the higher wall for headroom in the loft you would use the details on pages E-4, E-6 & E-7 in the booklet.

The porches (detail on page E-4) could be added to the sides of the house with this higher wall as well. And any of these details can be copied and pasted onto the big plans sheet or to an added sheet that would be stapled to it for the builder or inspector.

Many people get the permit with the simple (unmodified) plans and then work out the changes with the site inspector.

If you need help with some of this see "Taking your plans to the building Dept." (p. E-2) and consider working with a builder on a consulting basis.

The Little House materials list will need to be updated when you do the Builders cottage structure or go to the higher walls, add porches, etc.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Gladey

We had planned on building with 2x6's, but still using a pier foundation (quicktubes). I noticed in the detail of the higher side walls, you recommended they only be used where the loft is located. Doesn't this look a little strange? I would like to use the higher walls, but for the entire structure. Would that work?

John Raabe

Yes, you would do the higher wall height for the entire structure. I meant to say you will most likely use that detail when you want a higher ceiling in the loft. The loft helps tie the walls together and stabilize the structure. You can leave parts of the loft off where you want the full open cathedral look.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Gladey

Duh. Sorry, like I said, I'm new to this. The most complicated thing I've ever built was a chicken shed. Don't worry, we're taking it slow and we have actual experienced construction workers helping us. Thanks!