What's for dinner?

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, October 17, 2007, 04:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Sweet & Sour meets Insanely Hot

And man-o-man-o-man was it tasty!  WOW!

My wife found some Roasted Pineapple and Habanero Sauce and dumped a full jar of it on some meatballs (from Costco) and let me tell you what!  That was some awesome tasty meal!

BUT, it's not for the faint of heart or palate!  The heat is enough to scare off most and I'm just talking about the scent! hahahahaa  Put a bite in your mouth and HANG ON for the ride!  But oh Lord how it was tasty....maybe I ought to go get a bit more.....back in a few ;)

CjAl

on the road in WI today and was feeling a bit homesick so i am doing some crock pot cooking trucker style.  whip up some cajun rice and beans. used some lima beans, chicken stock, cut up saugage, onion, jalopeno, garlic, cajun seasoning and rice. hardest part is smelling it cooking all day.

i just threw the rice in. it will soak up the rest of the stock.

Pine Cone

Coho Salmon are finally here! 

Not the best fillet job, but I hope to have more practice before the end of the season.

With some luck, I will be able to catch more and  smoke some.  Nothing better than eating smoked salmon you caught and prepared!

Gary O

Awww, yeah. Silvers are g-o-o-o-o-o-d eatin'
I'm enjoying all that I own, the moment.

"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air." Emerson

OlJarhead

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/curry-pumpkin-soup/detail.aspx
Making that with Speckled Hound and serving with chops and mashed root veggies :)

Hoping it turns out!
[edit -- it was amazing!]

Curried Pumpkin Soup -- simply amazing!

OlJarhead

Tonight we tried a pork butt roast in the crockpot with Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce over rice.  It was quite good but we believe it would be better using the sauce after the roast has cooked a while with some seasoning (I just dumped all the sauce in with the roast and cooked it for 4 hours and then served over rice)...still, was quite good and not hot at all.

However, I must admit that what got me thinking about posting was my sandwich!  I know it's bad to eat this late and I don't normally but perhaps because I walked 7 miles today (I've been doing 4-5 1/2 miles almost daily for the last few weeks and just pushed it up to 7 today) I just needed something extra and, well, I'd made some nice French Sandwich loaves for my wife and daughter (and Christmas and whatever) today and you know that desire that you sometimes get, or at least I do, for a SOFT white bread sandwich?  I mean not the El Cheapo stuff you buy in the store but the real Deli or Bakery soft country loaf type bread?  Well anyway I slathered on some mayo (we're almost out of store bought and then going all home made because we like it better) and put a piece of cheddar and some ham on it and bit into it....and oh the heavenly flavor and texture!!!!

Oh lord I better not make too much of this stuff!  It's simply amazing and I'd gain a thousand pounds if I ate it every day! lol... d*

So ya, the stuff is simply the best.  No pictures for you, sorry, but take my word for it, I've done cracked the code as my Dad would say.  This bread is the best!

OlJarhead

ok I had to share ;)  This is what's left of the two loaves I made yesterday :)  my wife and daughter had a part in that!

So I made more ;)

Redoverfarm

Traditional or as it seems for the last couple of Christmas eve dinners.  T-Bone steak, garlic and buttered sauteed shrimp, baked potato, toss salad and white Zinfandel.  Superb meal with the family.  Got to love this time of the year.

OlJarhead

Sounds good!

For us it can change but this year it was a nice big (8lbs) New York Rib Roast slow roasted and served with mashed potatoes, home canned Blue Lake Bush beans, cooked carrots (with brown sugar), beef gravy the way my wife makes it (too good), and my newest Dinner roll creation (more or less a french bread sweetened up and cooked with the roast still in the oven -- makes it soooo good)...can't remember what else there was but it was awesome :)

OlJarhead

Any bread makers here?

For dinner tonight I made this mildly sour Artisan bread.

It's a simple no-knead bread that uses a small amount of whole wheat (home milled) to make the flour more like per-industrial flours.

This gives the bread a darker crumb and heartier flavor then a standard white sourdough.

And the bread is as awesome as it looks! :D

The recipe is pretty much fool proof, involves NO Kneading and produces a loaf that anyone who loves sourdough/artisan breads with a hard crust and soft crumb will absolutely love!

Pine Cone

I'm using a similar recipe, but making baguettes, or pizza or flatbread or pitas.  Mix it, don't kneed it, let it rise a couple of hours, put it in the fridge, take out a bit and bake it.  Better than you can buy at a supermarket or even  my local bakery!

What I like best is that I can make it when I need it, less chance to have it spoil or dry out before I finish a loaf.  Based on recipe by these folks ... http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/ from the book they wrote.  I am now back to baking 2-4 times a week!  Helps heat the house an smells wonderful!

OlJarhead

Cool!  Mine you leave out overnight so it makes a nice sourdough but I'll have to check out yours and try it too!

Pine Cone

The basic recipe is very simple
3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
6 1/2 cups of all purpose flour (unsifted)
Mix, don't kneed, let rise for a couple of hours, refrigerate, use about 1/4 of the original mix for each loaf.  Take it out of the fridge, shape it and let it sit 20 minutes to an hour, then bake at 450 degrees F for 25 minutes, have a pan of water in the oven when you bake it for a nicer crust.  Less time for pizza, pitas or foccaia, more time for a loaf pan or larger loaves.

I mix it and store it in the same container (shown above) which is NOT airtight.  Use within a week.  OK for pizza, normal loaf pan, pitas, etc. 

Pine Cone

Looks like pizza tonight!

OlJarhead

We decided to try a Sourdough Starter Pizza Dough recently and it was awesome!

Ham and Pepperoni with Sourdough -- ya I'm having a hard time losing weight! (but I am down to 240!)

For dining pleasure tonight :)

Sourdough made in a Dutch Oven -- the very best way to make it!

Hungry yet? :D

Pine Cone

Homemade Pizza, made the dough, grew the basil and green onions...

Pine Cone

Another variant of no-kneed bread, cooked in a Dutch oven. 

OlJarhead

Very nice!  I love Dutch Oven bread! :D

Gary O

Dinner?

I'm a breakfast guy.....so.....sorry, but;

Y'ever go to an all-you-can-eat Smorgasbord for breakfast and, knowing yer gonna OD on bacon, you get a smidgen of toast and jam, then just go ahead and swap the huge platter of bacon with yer plate and go back to yer table to gorge and swill coffee until they set out a new platter?

Me neither.

rick91351

Quote from: Gary O on February 11, 2014, 09:09:48 PM
Dinner?

I'm a breakfast guy.....so.....sorry, but;

Y'ever go to an all-you-can-eat Smorgasbord for breakfast and, knowing yer gonna OD on bacon, you get a smidgen of toast and jam, then just go ahead and swap the huge platter of bacon with yer plate and go back to yer table to gorge and swill coffee until they set out a new platter?

Me neither.

Did one on a cruise one time c*  I got addicted to these little smoked fish....... [waiting]  OMG  I do not even like fish.  It is like a once a year thing with me.  But these little smoked fish were so good.  I sat close to the chow line so when they put a other tub of them on the steam table ....... some times you had to shove an old couple out of the way......  [hungry]  OMG and for breakfast. 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Gary O

Sounds like the ocean version of Golden Corral
We get the ads
Only, the closest one is over 100 miles away from where we are.

We have 'Home Town Buffet'
Where hairless geriatrics shuffle around the steam tables, foraging for something their dentures can handle.
They're big on mashed potatoes and gravy.....and cake and ice cream.
I think they 'accidently' dool on the their favorites as a hoary form of dibs.
Saw one ol' guy mouth a steak...then put it back (shudder).

muldoon

I am eating quite a bit of red meat lately, caveman diet.  I love it.  Here are some recent plates. 

Pine Cone

It has been a good summer for catching crab from my kayak

My new kayak, a WS Tarpon 160, an excellent fishing kayak, long enough to make me feel much safer in the ocean

Redoverfarm

Well not actually tonight but this fall it will be mighty good.  My mother and I started making sauerkraut today.  Among other things she is a master of Kraut.  For years she would always use a stone crock until several years ago she started using a plastic 5 gallon bucket.  No difference in the taste.  Anyway I picked up about 12 head of cabbage from a friend who has a fruit market.  Couldn't believe how nice the heads were.  Some weighed upward of 8 pounds.  Normally it would take about 10 heads per turn.  But these were supper tight which according to Mom makes the best kraut.    Well we ended up making almost two turns.  I estimated that we have about 8 gallons which will ferment for 14-16 days and should yield about 60 pints.

First bucket after pounding and salt added.

Kraut covered with clean cabbage leaves.

Placement of a dinner plate to apply uniform pressure.

Water jug for weight to force the liquid to the top.

Finally covering with a sheet/cloth to keep clean and avoid the attack of flies and other insects.